7 hybrid

Mandofred

Visit site
I've been experimenting the last couple of months with an 11 wood. Some advantages and disadvantages....the 2 main disadvantages is that I'm not hitting it as high as I thought I would and I tend to occasionally really pull it left....which I don't do with a hybrid. With a good hit I can plop the 11 wood down in that 150-160 range (just not as high as I would like it) and I'm finding it outstanding in fairway bunkers. I have a 22 degree hybrid I've got set at 24 which I really like. At this time of year I land it around the 160-170 range. Just wondering if a hybrid in that 30 degree area (#6 in a Ping) or even 34 degree (Ping #7) would drop+stop it like I am after. Anybody using the 6 or 7 Ping hybrid?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
If you are looking for a club that goes a certain distance while achieving a certain height, do not rule out a ladies 5 or 7 wood.
I've seen a couple of chaps doing this and they say it is the easiest club in the bag for them to control.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I use a Ping 30 degree hybrid as my 6 iron replacement. I find it pretty easy to hit. For me, it's consistently high and straight. Maybe not up the middle but usually straight. For some reason it doesn't seem to bend shots much; bad shots being pushes or pulls rather than slices or hooks.

It's also a brilliant club for long rolling chips from just off the green if there's a lot of green to cover. It definitely feels like it gives a lot of momentum to the ball without having to hit it hard.

Mandofred

Visit site
If you are looking for a club that goes a certain distance while achieving a certain height, do not rule out a ladies 5 or 7 wood.
I've seen a couple of chaps doing this and they say it is the easiest club in the bag for them to control.
I point out......it's an 11 wood I'm trying to replace. An 11 wood. I've nothing against a ladies 7 wood....with hind site I probably should have bought a 9 wood instead of the 11 wood. But.....want I want (what I really really want...yeah....Spice...) is a club that hits it a mile high and 150yds on the button. I can't do it with irons any more. Maybe a bazooka?

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I've had a go with a ladies 5-wood and believe me it goes much shorter but higher than a mens 5-wood. So I would think something similar would happen with a ladies 7-wood which could be compared to a mens 11 wood.
As I said, don't rule it out. You (or I) won't know unless you have a go.
One chap I play with fairly regularly really rates his ladies 5-wood for the control it gives him. Useful on some par-3s, he says, for second shots on par-4s and when he knows he can't reach a green with any club he feels confident with it for laying-up safely.

Mandofred

Visit site
I've had a go with a ladies 5-wood and believe me it goes much shorter but higher than a mens 5-wood. So I would think something similar would happen with a ladies 7-wood which could be compared to a mens 11 wood.
As I said, don't rule it out. You (or I) won't know unless you have a go.
One chap I play with fairly regularly really rates his ladies 5-wood for the control it gives him. Useful on some par-3s, he says, for second shots on par-4s and when he knows he can't reach a green with any club he feels confident with it for laying-up safely.
I just went through some experimenting with buying a new driver. Even though I don't quite go 90mph....I ended up with a stiff/light shaft. The softer shaft was causing some real issues getting the ball in the air. But back to the topic......anybody use a 7 hybrid?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I just went through some experimenting with buying a new driver. Even though I don't quite go 90mph....I ended up with a stiff/light shaft. The softer shaft was causing some real issues getting the ball in the air. But back to the topic......anybody use a 7 hybrid?

I had one in the bag for a while when I could hit nothing but fats with irons. Slightly embarrassing but they do work.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Yep! I have one to replace my 6-iron. Numbers don't really mean a lot. Just far more consistent than an iron. At my age, I have no ego about using clubs that will improve my score!

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have Ping 5/7 wood and 6/7 hybrid.

Find them all very forgiving, highly recommended. I also have a chipper/ Texas wedge but don’t tell anybody on here as I may get an infraction !

Mandofred

Visit site
I had one in the bag for a while when I could hit nothing but fats with irons. Slightly embarrassing but they do work.
I don't hesitate to let people know I have an 11 wood I'm trying to decide on keeping or not. I haven't been picked on yet.
Yep! I have one to replace my 6-iron. Numbers don't really mean a lot. Just far more consistent than an iron. At my age, I have no ego about using clubs that will improve my score!
We have several holes that I just can't stop the ball on the greens (summer).....looking for something other than those 6 iron type shots that will go higher....and kind of stop. During the winter?.....not an issue....everything stops of course.....I'd rather keep the ball in the air longer.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I use a hybrid instead of a 6 iron - it's 27°. It goes nice and high with a bit of fade, around 160 yards. I also often use it for little chips around the green when I'm in thick grass so can't use the putter.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I point out......it's an 11 wood I'm trying to replace. An 11 wood. I've nothing against a ladies 7 wood....with hind site I probably should have bought a 9 wood instead of the 11 wood. But.....want I want (what I really really want...yeah....Spice...) is a club that hits it a mile high and 150yds on the button. I can't do it with irons any more. Maybe a bazooka?
The 7-hybrid (27*) was 'that' club for me. Absolutely spot on that yardage for birdie on the first hole I used it - as a replacement for 6-iron (from a 7-iron 12-18 months earlier!:mad:).

Mandofred

Visit site
The 7-hybrid (27*) was 'that' club for me. Absolutely spot on that yardage for birdie on the first hole I used it - as a replacement for 6-iron (from a 7-iron 12-18 months earlier!:mad:).
Kind of strange with that 7 hybrid of yours....what brand? I'd be looking at a Ping most likely if I go with the experiment.....a 6 is 30* and the 7 is 34*. At the moment I would lean towards the 6 at 30*.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Kind of strange with that 7 hybrid of yours....what brand? I'd be looking at a Ping most likely if I go with the experiment.....a 6 is 30* and the 7 is 34*. At the moment I would lean towards the 6 at 30*.
Indeed, I may be posting bollocks on it being a '7' replacement. It's A Yonex simply with 27 on the head. It's in my 'away' bag, so not readily to-hand. Probably a 6H, as I have 19* (3) 21/2* (4) and 24* (5). Lots of Adams Headcovers.

Last edited:

Mandofred

Visit site
11 wood, 7 hybrids, what ever is this world coming to? Surely if your woods/hybrids are go that low why not just a set of hybrid styles irons?
That's what I have. Sub 70 799's. Don't really hit the ball any higher than my last set which were Ping i500. If I'm looking for something to land softly in that 140-160 range....for me it isn't going to be an iron.