7 Wood v Hybrid

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a mixed relationship with my hybrids, particularly my 20 degree one. Largely down to me, I hit it better when swinging softly but the need to hit it further is an ongoing battle and so my brain says faster and harder. Anyway my regular pp has made the switch to a 7 wood and is loving it. Anyone else made the switch and what were your experiences?

Advantages and disadvantages?

(Please no replies about lessons, getting fitted, blah blah ?)

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
I love the idea of a 7-wood and have had a couple in the past 10 years, in the end I just go off them as I want the ball to go forward more than up (and left). Used to think they’re easier to hit than a hybrid, now think the opposite. Only carry a hybrid now for shots out the rough.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I carried a 7 wood for years and it has recently gone back in the bag.

It is in there mainly for deep rough as the one I have gets through the long grass better than the 20 deg rescue. ON the fairway and definitely off a bare lie I turn to the rescue.

In terms of length they are both roughly the same, the 7 wood is 21 degree with the 7 wood slightly edging it due to it having a 3 wood shaft plus the 7 wood I find gets better drop and stop if I am looking for that.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
I carry both a Heavenwood (20* with a 3wood length shaft) and a 23 degree hybrid....two different clubs, different head profiles, work differently in different situations, different ball flight.

Yes the 3 wood length shaft does take a bit of getting used to but there is nothing like the joy of launching a shot at a 175 yard par 3 and watching the ball drop and stop like a house brick. Note the Heaven-wood is different from a traditional 7 wood in the the 7-wood would have a shaft more in progression length wise following on from the 3 and 5 wood. It is the extra shaft length that gives the Heveanwood its launch characteristics.

I also carry a 19* 5-wood and although there is not a huge amount of distance difference the ball flight is lower and more penetrating giving a bit more roll on landing.

The 23 degree hybrid is a club shorter than the Heveanwood, works well out of lusher grass and is a little more workable if needed.

DCB

Visit site
A 7 wood was one of the first clubs I tried as I was getting back into golf after my accident. It is probably my most used club in the bag nowadays. Very versatile, easy to hit off tee, turf or from light rough. It has certainly made my game more enjoyable and will stay in the bag.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Generally,a slower swing speed player would suit a 7 wood more than a 19/20 hybrid.
Centre of Gravity is lower and further back on a 7 wood so you get higher launch and more spin which keeps the ball in the air longer.
A hybrid produces less launch, less spin and, generally, needs a higher swing speed to make it work.
The longer shaft of the 7 wood can mean its harder to control than the shorter shafted hybrid.
High swing speed players can actually lose distance using a 7 wood over a hybrid as they would create too much spin..

RichA

Visit site
Good post - currently trying to decide whether to go for a 2 hybrid. Struggling massively with driver and HL 3 wood, but 5 hybrid swung very gently is high and very long. Any effort applied with it equals 30 yards left of target. You barely need to tickle it to get 170 + 30 yards of roll, but it's sometimes difficult to remember not to try too hard.

Wildboy370

skiptongolfclub.co.uk
I have a 7 wood and a 9 wood as struggled to hit a 4,5 and 6 iron consistently Get so much more height for the drop n stop and as others have said, good off tee, fairway and rough. Would t be without them and find them inspire more confidence than hybrid.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Generally,a slower swing speed player would suit a 7 wood more than a 19/20 hybrid.
Centre of Gravity is lower and further back on a 7 wood so you get higher launch and more spin which keeps the ball in the air longer.
A hybrid produces less launch, less spin and, generally, needs a higher swing speed to make it work.
The longer shaft of the 7 wood can mean its harder to control than the shorter shafted hybrid.
High swing speed players can actually lose distance using a 7 wood over a hybrid as they would create too much spin..
That's interesting. I do have a slow swing speed, I can swing fast but with zero control so frankly there is no point in it, so that suggests a 7 wood would suit me better. Good to hear there is some logic in the thought process, not just a fancy for a new club.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I'd prefer a 7 wood over a hybrid. But that is me. You say you have a slow swing speed - perhaps trying to increase that may help.

eddie_1878

Visit site
I have a mixed relationship with my hybrids, particularly my 20 degree one. Largely down to me, I hit it better when swinging softly but the need to hit it further is an ongoing battle and so my brain says faster and harder. Anyway my regular pp has made the switch to a 7 wood and is loving it. Anyone else made the switch and what were your experiences?

Advantages and disadvantages?

(Please no replies about lessons, getting fitted, blah blah ?)

I’ve gone the other way only with a 5 wood, which has been dumped for my 19 degree hybrid. Much more consistent and confident with the hybrid and the ball is going further as a result.

I think there’s a lot of misinformation/contradiction out there in regards to how you play a hybrid, which doesn’t help. I used to play it like an iron which simply didn’t work for me- since adjusting my setup to play it more like a fairway wood tops and sky shots are a thing of the past!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'd prefer a 7 wood over a hybrid. But that is me. You say you have a slow swing speed - perhaps trying to increase that may help.
The more I speed up, the more disconnected my arms become from my body. That leads to poor strikes, mainly thins, and rotten trajectory. I've found my optimum swing speed and I'm okay with it. The difficulty is sticking to it when the naughty person inside your head is whispering to hit it that bit harder ?. Hybrids are so light and tempting to swing harder and faster with.

If I had the time and, more realistically, the drive to improve my game dramatically it is probably something I could work on. I'm just not that committed though.

Skypilot

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have a 7 wood and a 9 wood as struggled to hit a 4,5 and 6 iron consistently Get so much more height for the drop n stop and as others have said, good off tee, fairway and rough. Would t be without them and find them inspire more confidence than hybrid.
I've a 7 and 9 wood too.
Love them both :)

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The more I speed up, the more disconnected my arms become from my body. That leads to poor strikes, mainly thins, and rotten trajectory. I've found my optimum swing speed and I'm okay with it. The difficulty is sticking to it when the naughty person inside your head is whispering to hit it that bit harder ?. Hybrids are so light and tempting to swing harder and faster with.

If I had the time and, more realistically, the drive to improve my game dramatically it is probably something I could work on. I'm just not that committed though.

I meant more along the lines of Strengthening your core, improve flexibility, learn to be more explosive - this has always helped anyone doing sport be it golf or boxing.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love my F9 seven wood, I find it so easy to hit. Launches the ball better than my old G25 20° hybrid. And it has a draw setting which the hybrid didn't have, which helps me hit it straighter. It's nice from the tee, the fairway and the light rough as well.