7 iron how far do you hit it?

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't really select my irons by number, I
What’s your thought on the loft being on the bottom of the club instead of an iron number??
To me that would be irrelevant as I look on my irons as to how far I need to hit the ball. For example if I need to hit the ball 150 yards, I'll pick my 150 yard club which happens to be my 6 iron. I play with a lot of low handicappers and quite often on par 3s they will discuss what club they have used, which has no resemblance as to which club I have used.
Incidentally, my wedges have the lofts on them, but again I know that they are my 60 yard, 75 yard and 90 yard clubs.

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
Exactly this 100%, sometimes it might be a solid 8 iron sometimes a knock down 7 or 6, asking how far you hit a specific club is a bit pointless imho, it's all about how you see the shot at the time
I get that so why do people go to launch monitors and all kind of stuff if it’s all about feel

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
“how far you hit a specific club is a bit pointless imho” do you think club fitters would agree with you
Exactly this 100%, sometimes it might be a solid 8 iron sometimes a knock down 7 or 6, asking how far you hit a specific club is a bit pointless imho, it's all about how you see the shot at the time
“how far you hit a specific club is a bit pointless imho” do you think club fitters would agree with you

AliMc

Visit site

Yeah you're maybe right, but does the distance you hit it at a club fitting, which in most cases is probably indoors, really relate to how you hit it on the course when you have to contend with wind, slopes etc, is a club fitting not more about finding something that you are comfortable with, something that suits your eye rather than all out distance, for me anyway it's more about feel and shaping shots, I think the number of iron shots I hit full out in the course of a round is probably around the 70% mark maximum

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
Yeah you're maybe right, but does the distance you hit it at a club fitting, which in most cases is probably indoors, really relate to how you hit it on the course when you have to contend with wind, slopes etc, is a club fitting not more about finding something that you are comfortable with, something that suits your eye rather than all out distance, for me anyway it's more about feel and shaping shots, I think the number of iron shots I hit full out in the course of a round is probably around the 70% mark maximum
All very good point and by the sound of things you are a low guy. I know if I hit my 7 iron well it goes 150. I used to think it was further but as soon as I accepted it wasn’t my distance control has been
Much better.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A standard 7i shot will see me 145yd carry. I used to manipulate things for different distances say 130yds to 160yds depending on how I saw the shot, but I need to stop manipulation the club and swing and play standard.- at least for time being. So 145yds it is - could hit it good bit further if I wanted but see no point at the moment so don’t bother. Looking for consistency and removing one variable from each iron, so varying distance basically goes out the window.

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
Can I also add that I find it impossible to not go full out with my shots it’s something I’m working on. But when I manage it the results are always good. If you know of a drill that helps with that please let’s know ?

AliMc

Visit site
Can I also add that I find it impossible to not go full out with my shots it’s something I’m working on. But when I manage it the results are always good. If you know of a drill that helps with that please let’s know ?
If it's particularly windy i tend to just take one or two more clubs, grip down a bit and play it a bit further back in the stance, shorten the backswing a bit and swing smooth, I suppose playing at Dunbar for 40 years helps too !

Brechin balata

Medal Winner
Visit site
If it's particularly windy i tend to just take one or two more clubs, grip down a bit and play it a bit further back in the stance, shorten the backswing a bit and swing smooth, I suppose playing at Dunbar for 40 years helps too !
Smooth smooth smooth is what I say to myself all the time. My course in Glasgow has a wind turbine within 400 yards of the first tee so I know wind lol