Deleted member 1147

- No issues with the Red
- Good fight for a 14 v 15 battle
- Shame we weren’t able to try any attacking off the dominant scrum
- Didn’t enjoy sitting in amongst all the booing of the ref and kicker

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As someone that follows and watches rugby but doesn't claim to be an expert or to know all the rules, it did seem to be quite a harsh red card for the England player. It looked as though he'd gone in to make the tackle and it was an accidental clash of heads. Having listened to the analysis I can see why it was given as a red card as it was head to head contact and refs have to protect the players but it does seem harsh for something that looked accidental.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What annoys me about this is that Ryan was a decoy runner so Ewels may or may not have intended to make a tackle. There was no mitigation made for this and if you have decoy runners you may or may not be tryig to tackle !
If they want tackles to be lower in this situation then the attacking side has a big advantage.

There was a clothes line tackle on Slade(by Furlough) later in the game right in front of the ref and not even reviewed.

A superb effort by the team until the gas ran out

D

Deleted member 1147

As someone that follows and watches rugby but doesn't claim to be an expert or to know all the rules, it did seem to be quite a harsh red card for the England player. It looked as though he'd gone in to make the tackle and it was an accidental clash of heads. Having listened to the analysis I can see why it was given as a red card as it was head to head contact and refs have to protect the players but it does seem harsh for something that looked accidental.
No it was as easy a red for the ref to give as you will see.
Upright, force, no mitigation at all!

D

Deleted member 1147

What annoys me about this is that Ryan was a decoy runner so Ewels may or may not have intended to make a tackle. There was no mitigation made for this and if you have decoy runners you may or may not be tryig to tackle !
If they want tackles to be lower in this situation then the attacking side has a big advantage.

There was a clothes line tackle on Slade(by Furlough) later in the game right in front of the ref and not even reviewed.

A superb effort by the team until the gas ran out
That’s why they have decoy runners. To confuse the defenders.

D

Deleted member 1147

A particular highlight for me was the idiot, who ran on during the anthems, being absolutely hammered by the security guard.
Don’t think he thought he was quite so funny this week.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well you aren’t meant to tackle a decoy runner anyway. It’s a tackle off the ball.
So it was potentially doubly against the rules.
A decor runner verging on obstruction....
Ref also missed the off the feet tackle/clearout made just before the penultimate Irish try. No attempt to stay on his feet, just flew through the man.

However, if the Enlglish boys can make those sort of tackles and commitment when there are 15 of them they will be a different team to play.

D

Deleted member 1147

A decor runner verging on obstruction....
Ref also missed the off the feet tackle/clearout made just before the penultimate Irish try. No attempt to stay on his feet, just flew through the man.

However, if the Enlglish boys can make those sort of tackles and commitment when there are 15 of them they will be a different team to play.
Ryan had actually just passed the ball to Sexton. So wasn’t a decoy, or obstructing.

Grizzly

Visit site
No it was as easy a red for the ref to give as you will see.
Upright, force, no mitigation at all!

I have to agree: usually players get away with one's like this (not that they should) because it came so early in the game and in an innocuous situation. But the way Ryan reeled around like a battered heavyweight made it clear that it was a hard collision.

Furlong should have followed for his Hulk Hogan impersonation.

Swingalot

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Red card correct to the current Laws and guidelines given, but they need to change ASAP otherwise we will continue to have contests decided by decisions such as that. For me, intent needs to be considered, along with angle head makes contact with other head.
If you apply the laws and guidelines to the strictest terms, there would be no one left on the pitch. I can find you 20plus tackles from that game where as the tackle is being made the heads come into some form of contact.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Caught a bit of a discussion on 5live tonight about the match, it made me realise that I had been watching the wrong game ........ in the one I saw Ireland won !
As a foreigner, it's interesting to observe the 'English' glorification of 'plucky' defeats. And there's been plenty of them, along with a goodly number of wins harnessing same/similar attitudes.
One of the more memorable plucky ones from a Kiwi pov was Russell Coutts's Gold Medal effort in the Finn class at 1984 Olympics. After about the 3rd round, most of the reports started with the state of the ulcerous blister on his backside. After the final race, it was touch and go whether he would be DQ-ed for having gear that retained too much water too!
Amusing, to some, fact...NZ won 8 Golds that games (still a record). All were in 'sitting down' events!

Last edited:

greenone

Visit site
Caught a bit of a discussion on 5live tonight about the match, it made me realise that I had been watching the wrong game ........ in the one I saw Ireland won !
Standard when England are playing football or rugby. Watch any game England aren't playing in be it euros/world cup or 6n and half the pre and post match is usually talking about England until they get knocked out.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Standard when England are playing football or rugby. Watch any game England aren't playing in be it euros/world cup or 6n and half the pre and post match is usually talking about England until they get knocked out.

Too true, but unfortunately a constant fact on UK television.
Imagine the uproar there would be if it were another nation instead of England.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

I think in the context of the match, a focus on the England performance was understandable. The Irish performance was unremarkable with a flattering scoreline due to late tries whereas being down to 14 men and holding a class opposition for 70 minutes was worthy of praise and comment. Add to that the fact that the Wales v France match as on the Friday night and so had already been discussed and the Scotland game, as with any game against Italy, rarely requires much analysis unless there is an Italy win and the focus on the England match and the England performance seems justified.

I actually tend to find rugby coverage in general far less jongoistic towards England than some sports commentaries