6N 2022

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When you say lob kick - because after 35 years around the game I've not heard a kick referred to that way - do you mean the box kick, or a simple chipped pass?
A kick that's lobbed ?. You know, a bit like a golf lob shot, high trajectory with little distance. Or, up and under. The one almost guaranteed to give away possession.

Last edited:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Sounds like a box kick..
If it's done correctly there's a chance of getting possession back...no chance if the ball goes to the full back who punts it out.

Grizzly

Visit site
A kick that's lobbed ?. You know, a bit like a golf lob shot, high trajectory with little distance. Or, up and under. The one almost guaranteed to give away possession.

So, the point of a good box kick is that it lands close enough to the offside line that there is a good chance for the kicking side to compete and if they do not regain possession, then it is unlikely that the opposition will make yards before being wrapped up in defenders, where they may find themselves isolated and concede possession or a penalty.

The obvious comparison is with the old fashioned hoof up field. The danger there is whilst the ball is collected much deeper, there is no competing for the ball and crucially nine times out of ten the ball comes back in the hands of a stone runner moving at pace. There is way more chance for it to come back to bite you.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So, the point of a good box kick is that it lands close enough to the offside line that there is a good chance for the kicking side to compete and if they do not regain possession, then it is unlikely that the opposition will make yards before being wrapped up in defenders, where they may find themselves isolated and concede possession or a penalty.

The obvious comparison is with the old fashioned hoof up field. The danger there is whilst the ball is collected much deeper, there is no competing for the ball and crucially nine times out of ten the ball comes back in the hands of a stone runner moving at pace. There is way more chance for it to come back to bite you.
I've been watching these 'up and under lob kicks' and in almost every case it gives away possession. The ball is falling into the arms of the other side and away from the kicker, there is an obvious advantage to the other side. I just can't understand when you have possession of the ball just hoofing it away unless you are under pressure close to your own try line.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I've been watching these 'up and under lob kicks' and in almost every case it gives away possession. The ball is falling into the arms of the other side and away from the kicker, there is an obvious advantage to the other side. I just can't understand when you have possession of the ball just hoofing it away unless you are under pressure close to your own try line.
Highly unlikely to use box kick under those (defensive) conditions. It's an offensive tactic.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Highly unlikely to use box kick under those (defensive) conditions. It's an offensive tactic.
Your joking? When you get a turn over or god forsake a ball out of a scrum right on your line with the opposition lined up in front it's the best option to hike it over their heads and maybe out of play.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Last edited:

Grizzly

Visit site

Okay, so you are in possession in your own half, you have no ball speed and the defence is set. Your logic has that you keep hold and hope something comes up. It rarely does, not even just at the top level, at any competent level. So do you hold on and hope for the miracle that unlocks the defence, knowing you will usually make a mistake and hand broken field ball to the other side in your half? Or do you kick in the way that offers you the best opportunity to win the ball back, or to pass the same problem to the other side?

Grizzly

Visit site
Your joking? When you get a turn over or god forsake a ball out of a scrum right on your line with the opposition lined up in front it's the best option to hike it over their heads and maybe out of play.

Nah. At the top level line outs are well drilled, and for the attacking side offer the additional benefit of setting the defence - by which I mean, the defence set for where they perceive the attack might be, so any subterfuge is on the attacking side.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Okay, so you are in possession in your own half, you have no ball speed and the defence is set. Your logic has that you keep hold and hope something comes up. It rarely does, not even just at the top level, at any competent level. So do you hold on and hope for the miracle that unlocks the defence, knowing you will usually make a mistake and hand broken field ball to the other side in your half? Or do you kick in the way that offers you the best opportunity to win the ball back, or to pass the same problem to the other side?
Nah! As long as you have position you have chances, when you hand the ball to the other side your options to score have diminished, theirs have increased.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
What! You can call it what you like but it's a high kick over the front row that clears your line.
Does it resemble the ones in the pics of that article? It's never intended that it go into touch. That would be a 'clearance' and would be kicked much more powerfully/longer and intended to go out/into touch.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Does it resemble the ones in the pics of that article? It's never intended that it go into touch. That would be a 'clearance' and would be kicked much more powerfully/longer and intended to go into touch.
It clears the line, where it goes is forward and away from the current dangerous position. As I said it's the only place I feel the kick is useful. That's it really so I've nothing else to add.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It clears the line, where it goes is forward and away from the current dangerous position. As I said it's the only place I feel the kick is useful. That's it really so I've nothing else to add.
That seems dangerous to me, at least given the field position your post implies. 10+ yards further up the field, perhaps. But not when defending own goal line. A 'clearance' into touch would normally be the logical play.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The Box Kick is used when there is an opportunity to challenge for the ball and recover it from the opposition or, at least, apply enough pressure that they either fumble the take or are pressured into having to clear and give the opposition an offensive lineout. With a box kick, distance is not the key, rather height and positioning to allow a strong challenge. A clearance kick is exactly what is sounds like a kick to clear the lines and, normally, aim for touch. There are dozens of terms and variations for kicks in rugby from the classic up and under to the more modern term of the spiral bomb.

With regards a clearance into touch being the more logical option, not always. That will, at best, give the opponents an attacking lineout and you could be soon back where you started. Much depends on how the oppostion line is set up and how you are set up in defence. A quick box kick can be used to quickly turn defense in to offense if there is an unprepared back line in front of you or, at least, move the play further down the pitch without giving the opposition the benefit of an attacking lineout and that is why an effective kick chase is so important.

D

Deleted member 15344

Could be a heck of a game after that red card if Ireland go for it

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Does the position of the offence on the field make a difference when it comes to the ref giving a yellow card? It seems as though Ireland have conceded a lot of penalties at the scrum but haven't had anyone yellow carded for repeat offences. I've seen them given for repeated offences close to the try line so just wondered if some of them being in the England half makes a difference.