Three Additional Olympic Sports

Mandofred

Visit site
Wish they would just do away with the Olympics.....it's time has come and gone. The cost of holding one is just too much, and only cities with established facilities should be allowed to apply anyway. There are so many silly sports? that have been added.....and they keep adding more. If I were made God of Sports....there would be a yearly World Championship in every sport. But.....I'd have to go with Dodgeball from what has been mentioned so far.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Wish they would just do away with the Olympics.....it's time has come and gone. The cost of holding one is just too much, and only cities with established facilities should be allowed to apply anyway. There are so many silly sports? that have been added.....and they keep adding more. If I were made God of Sports....there would be a yearly World Championship in every sport. But.....I'd have to go with Dodgeball from what has been mentioned so far.
I think there is a good argument for one fixed location that is used each time. The facilities would be kept up to date but would not need the massive injection of cash each time currently put into host cities. It would hopefully end the white elephant syndrome that happens most times.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think there is a good argument for one fixed location that is used each time. The facilities would be kept up to date but would not need the massive injection of cash each time currently put into host cities. It would hopefully end the white elephant syndrome that happens most times.

Same could be said for the world cup no? Just let it go to places with everything already set up

Maybe one in Europe, one in the Americas

Internal flights and trains can cover the travel

I mean without getting too on the old soap box if we actually want to be serious about climate change etc then cutting down on waste like this would actually have more of an effect than getting Me and you to turn down our boilers

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Same could be said for the world cup no? Just let it go to places with everything already set up

I mean without getting too on the old soap box if we actually want to be serious about climate change etc then cutting down on waste like this would actually have more of an effect than getting Me and you to turn down our boilers
Well, the world cup being held in Mexico, USA and Canada is an absolute disaster, only fifa could agree to that nonsense. Where there is a difference, I would suggest, is that countries that hold the world cup generally use existing stadiums or update stadiums that will be actively used afterwards. They bring a real benefit to the host country.

We do need to get back to one country hosting imo.

Forget all of the above for the last world cup, I appreciate nothing stands up to justify that.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site

Then we must do something about China and India rather than worrying about which bin to put our waste in.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Then we must do something about China and India rather than worrying about which bin to put our waste in.

China is waved about a lot, however they actually have (and are sticking with) a more realistic net zero plan to reach by 2060

India have realistic aims aswell

Just classic deflecting techniques from our press to not address what we need to do.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
China is waved about a lot, however they actually have (and are sticking with) a more realistic net zero plan to reach by 2060

33% of all global CO2 emissions come from China, their output is up 526% since 1990.

The UK is responsible for less than 1% of global CO2 output.

Just remembered that this is an Olympics thread, I'll stick to that from now on.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
33% of all global CO2 emissions come from China, their output is up 526% since 1990.

The UK is responsible for less than 1% of global CO2 output.

Just remembered that this is an Olympics thread, I'll stick to that from now on.

Like I said. They have realistic and achievable paths to net zero rather than ours.

They have upped their usage because their economies have had their boom that we had in the past.

People just wave "India and china" about but we need to address our house and get it in check and stop NIMBY attitudes to new tech (not in my back yard) so we can meet it ourselves.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
.................... or having to have the last word.

Even tho this plays into your hands there is a difference between "having the last word" and using soundsbites to try and put something out there as "fact" and then the soundsbites being corrected by research ... (Myth busted)

But yes that gives me the last word .. so gold medal

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If you had your way which three additional sports would you like to see included in the 2928 Olympics

Tug o' War.........................Ancient athletic sport that should be there by right.

Unicycle 200,400,800 and 1500 meters..........Lots would pay money to see that, especially on the velodrome.

Cricket fast version........Played on every continent so one of the world's most popular sports. Slow version out as it would extend the games by 2 months

BTW looks like the Commonwealth Games might be returning to Glasgow in 2026. Ossies can't afford it.
Since no one else has noticed....
How about getting from one cave to the other without being fried by radiation.

TBH though, I don't care.

Fade and Die

Medal Winner
Visit site
I went to research the details, and it turns out I have misremembered the tale! France actually took silver, behind Great Britain (as we then were).

One of the many delightful quirks of cricket's past.
We still are Great Britain in the Olympics…..Another interesting factoid thanks to your link, GB also won the football gold medal, they was represented by Upton Park FC 😁

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Like I said. They have realistic and achievable paths to net zero rather than ours.

They have upped their usage because their economies have had their boom that we had in the past.

People just wave "India and china" about but we need to address our house and get it in check and stop NIMBY attitudes to new tech (not in my back yard) so we can meet it ourselves.
Wonder what the UK emissions would have been in Victorian times.
Thames regularly freezing over and smog in the cities an everyday thing.