6N 2022

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
They for me are currently the best team in the world. I've always loved watching French rugby but it's on another level currently. Right now they have to be favourites for the RWC next year.
Always attractive to watch, but it's the relatively poor opposition that makes them so good - imo.
The Southern hemisphere nations haven't really started their wind-up for this year, let alone for the RWC next year! That said, playing at home will be an advantage, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do win.

Carlwm

Visit site
I think you're being harsh on France, they were excellent. I thought we played extremely well in parts but losing 2 tries so early in the game meant we were chasing. That said, a chance to go 17-12 up before half time and butchered was shocking, especially as France scored a try right away.

They for me are currently the best team in the world. I've always loved watching French rugby but it's on another level currently. Right now they have to be favourites for the RWC next year.

I think you're right about France having a serious shout at the World Cup. They're a strong side and getting better. It would have been interesting, on Saturday, if Stuart Hogg had managed to hang on to that pass though.

Reactions: Val
D

Deleted member 1147

I think you're right about France having a serious shout at the World Cup. They're a strong side and getting better. It would have been interesting, on Saturday, if Stuart Hogg had managed to hang on to that pass though.
The only risk to them not winning this year's 6N's seems to be if their "Frenchness" comes out in one of the next two games.

There's always the risk that they'll lose it mentally, like they have so often in the past ??

Carlwm

Visit site
The only risk to them not winning this year's 6N's seems to be if their "Frenchness" comes out in one of the next two games.

There's always the risk that they'll lose it mentally, like they have so often in the past ??

It's always a possibility, which I why I still give us a small (miniscule!) shout when we play them next but I think Shaun Edwards might well have given them a proper backbone. The way they dug in against us last year and how they stayed relatively unflustered when Ireland hit back at them this time round suggests they are not as fragile as old.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Why is the lob kick used so often, it seems to be an almost guaranteed way of giving away possession for very little territorial gain, also, isn't it about time the scrummage was changed either to non-contested or less players to stop the wasted time of re-sets that so often result in penalties.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Why is the lob kick used so often, it seems to be an almost guaranteed way of giving away possession for very little territorial gain...
Accidents aside, the 'evolutionary' nature of any strategy/tactic would normally mean that ones that have a negative effect too often don't last!
...isn't it about time the scrummage was changed either to non-contested or less players to stop the wasted time of re-sets that so often result in penalties.
A far too important part of the game to ditch imo. If you don't like Rugby's scrums, watch Rugby League's ones (where they also scrapped them as an anti-Covid measure).

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Accidents aside, the 'evolutionary' nature of any strategy/tactic would normally mean that ones that have a negative effect too often don't last!

A far too important part of the game to ditch imo. If you don't like Rugby's scrums, watch Rugby League's ones (where they also scrapped them as an anti-Covid measure).
It was a question as to why the lob kick is used so often when it tends to give away hard won possession

I'm not suggesting the scrummage is ditched, the game needs a method to restart but currently it's just time wasting and the end result is either a penalty or eventually the ball back into play after much faffing. I can't remember the last time I saw a scrum taking the ball forward any distance. Also, it never seems right the way the ball is fed in on an angle, that never used to be allowed.

greenone

Visit site
Why is the lob kick used so often, it seems to be an almost guaranteed way of giving away possession for very little territorial gain, also, isn't it about time the scrummage was changed either to non-contested or less players to stop the wasted time of re-sets that so often result in penalties.
If the clock was off until the ball was out of the scrum there would be a hell of lot less resets. And get the ball fed in straight so the hookers actually have to hook.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It was a question as to why the lob kick is used so often when it tends to give away hard won possession...
Which I believe I answered! To expand...If it wasn't deemed an appropriate use, it would rapidly disappear!
I'm not suggesting the scrummage is ditched, the game needs a method to restart but currently it's just time wasting and the end result is either a penalty or eventually the ball back into play after much faffing. I can't remember the last time I saw a scrum taking the ball forward any distance. Also, it never seems right the way the ball is fed in on an angle, that never used to be allowed.
Check this article out. Specifically...
  • The aim is to promote a fair contest for possession while also giving an advantage to the team putting the ball into the scrum. In most cases the opposition will have infringed for that team to be awarded the put-in.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Which I believe I answered! To expand...If it wasn't deemed an appropriate use, it would rapidly disappear!

Check this article out. Specifically...
  • The aim is to promote a fair contest for possession while also giving an advantage to the team putting the ball into the scrum. In most cases the opposition will have infringed for that team to be awarded the put-in.
You gave an reply on lob kicks which didn't answer my question. That's OK though if you don't have an explanation.

My point with the scrum is that it is now a time consuming manoeuvre that mostly ends in failure. The scrum could be non contested or contested with less players to make it a work. What we have now is a disaster.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Always attractive to watch, but it's the relatively poor opposition that makes them so good - imo.
The Southern hemisphere nations haven't really started their wind-up for this year, let alone for the RWC next year! That said, playing at home will be an advantage, so I wouldn't be surprised if they do win.

They've beaten Ireland and the All Black's in recent months, hardly poor opposition

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

I've said many times that change the penalty for infringement to free kick with no option of a scrum then you may see a difference

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My point with the scrum is that it is now a time consuming manoeuvre that mostly ends in failure. The scrum could be non contested or contested with less players to make it a work. What we have now is a disaster.

To do that would result in the flankers being removed from the game as per rugby league, I do agree that the set scrum in its present form needs changing, but I don't believe that either of those solutions are the answer.

There were certainly a number that went forward wrt the ground, if not the relative to the players positions.
I too wondered about the England try. Ball was definitely short initially, but was simply 'placed' over the line subsequently.

Whether or not the ball travels forwards relative to the ground is irrelevant, the ball has to be passed from the ball carrier towards their own goal line.

You are permitted to play (therefore place) the ball once in any direction after the tackle is made - the old 'double movement' hasn't existed for a long time now.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Whether or not the ball travels forwards relative to the ground is irrelevant, the ball has to be passed from the ball carrier towards their own goal line.
I believe it's the inverse/complement of the bold bit...that the ball must not be thrown forward. ie the players arms must not move forward.