6N 2022

greenone

Visit site
The ball is never put in straight, the scrum collapses or turns creating a fail more often than a clean ball back. It's a time waste and imo needs changing.
That's why I said get the ball put in straight and get the hookers hooking. If the hookers had to hook instead of being a centre prop the scrum would be more stable with less resets and the scrum becomes more of a contest.

Last edited:

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
That's why I said get the ball put in straight and get the hookers hooking. If the hookers had to hook instead of being a centre prop the scrum would be more stable with less resets and the scrum becomes more of a contest.

There is more chance of a hook now that the brake foot is part of the game for hookers

D

Deleted member 1147

You need to watch more of it, it's slow in England but no many other places
Except Wasps, London Irish, Bristol, Quinn’s etc
I think you mean the England team, not in England.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The ball is never put in straight, the scrum collapses or turns creating a fail more often than a clean ball back. It's a time waste and imo needs changing.
If the ball wasn't going in straight, there'd be far more penalties given for that offence. You are likely 'seeing it as not straight' whereas it IS going in straight, but offset by half a body width or more (as is allowed - the Scrum Half can align his 'leading' shoulder to the middle line of the scrum), so the ball doesn't actually go down the middle of the tunnel.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If the ball wasn't going in straight, there'd be far more penalties given for that offence. You are likely 'seeing it as not straight' whereas it IS going in straight, but offset by half a body width or more (as is allowed), so not actually down the middle of the tunnel.
The last time a ball went in straight at a scrum was about 1985........

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The last time a ball went in straight at a scrum was about 1985........
It just looks that way. And being oval, a 'favourable bounce' can be generated too. FWIW, I don't believe it's a huge problem, as the side feeding the scrum are 'due' possession anyway.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You need to watch more of it, it's slow in England but no many other places
It's just the way I see the modern game Val. Scrums are a disaster and waste time, the game seems to get shut down so much so that it looks boring. Kicking the ball seems the only way of moving it forward but much of it is pointless hoofing it with little or no strategy. When I watch Sevens it's exiting and has flair, something the modern 15s is lacking. It's not just the English game either.
I understand many disagree but to me it's gone a simar way to modern professional golf and needs some change to open it up.

greenone

Visit site

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's just the way I see the modern game Val. Scrums are a disaster and waste time, the game seems to get shut down so much so that it looks boring. Kicking the ball seems the only way of moving it forward but much of it is pointless hoofing it with little or no strategy. When I watch Sevens it's exiting and has flair, something the modern 15s is lacking. It's not just the English game either.
I understand many disagree but to me it's gone a simar way to modern professional golf and needs some change to open it up.

Like I said, you need to watch more. Watch some Top 14, URC or Super Rugby. Not slow by any means.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
What you really need to do is to define 'Straight'! And it's not necessarily 'Down the middle of the tunnel!

IN straight...Looks likely. What happened after it hit the ground....Advantage les Bleus. Straight does not require it to be down the middle of the tunnel (see my earlier post)! I'm certain the same happened on England put-ins too! And, as I've stated previously, the scrum is a method of restarting after a non-critical offense by the opposition, so giving an advantage to the non-offending team is perfectly reasonable!

Last edited:

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Perhaps, but eliminating scrums, thus sending 8/9 more players across the field will do actual suppress 'flair'!
I didn't suggest eliminating scrums, rather that the scrum in its present form is no longer a suitable method of restarting play. It needs to be faster, more reliable and fit for purpose.