5 woods

tsped83

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've always carried a 5W, great off the deck and relatively easy to hit for me. First one I owned was a TM V-Steel which was fantastic, after a bit of fannying about I now have an Adams LS which is a monster. Long live the 5 wood.

Fraz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am going through a real urge to buy a 5 wood at the moment!

I have a 13.5* 3 wood and feel that a 5 wood will give me a nice way to fill the gap down to my hybrid!

Thinking about my new course and there are a few tee shots were my 3 wood will b too long so 5 wood will be spot on (hopefully)!

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I tried a 3 hybrid and had reasonable success with it however I went back to a 5 wood when they were selling the Cleveland Classic XL's off. I haven't looked back and also invested in the 7 wood which is one of the best purchases I've made.

Hybrids are great but woods also have their place and some golfers will hit woods better than hybrids despite the hype that says hybrids are easier to hit.

sawtooth

Tour Winner
Visit site
I carry Taylormade burner 2007 3W and 5W in my bag and I love them both. They are a bit beaten up now so will have to try out some new ones soon.

NST

Head Pro
Visit site
Hit the Titleist 915f five wood earlier, really nice. Will play about with the shaft options next week and get my order in.

MadAdey

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have seen stuff on the Internet about how most handicap golfers shouldn't carry a standard 3w (15*ish). They say a lot of handicap golfers will hit a 4w or 5w as far as a 3w because they do not have a good enough technique to get the lower loft of a 3w launching off the turf correctly to get optimum carry and distance

I think the old trusty 5w has become a forgotten tool by most. I always carried one when I was younger, but dropped it when TM first brought out rescue clubs.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
In the old days the 5 wood was for players who couldn't hit a 2 iron. Nowadays some players have never seen a 2 iron and most of us don't carry a 3 iron either, so the 5 wood definitely has a place.

The 5 woods have also got more powerful with stronger high flights and distance sometimes as far as a good 3 wood, so definitely worth considering in my opinion. The driver, 4 wood, hybrid, 4 iron etc option seems a popular one too.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
For me its my fairway club when the greens well out of range as I use the 3w off the tee and hybrids when better positioning is needed. So it definitely has a place in my bag

mashleyR7

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pretty much the same as everyone else I carry a 5 wood and I love it of the deck and for when my driver isnt going so well or for holes when I dont need the length off the tee.

I've tried hybrids and cant hit them off the deck, I've tried a 3 wood off the deck and struggled with that but this 5 wood I have, Cleveland Launcher, is so easy to hit, goes 200 carry 210-220 full distance easily and I find I have less fade with it too. If I were to change the top of my bag I've stick with driver, matching 5 wood, then straight onto 4i.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not had a 5 wood in the bag since joining a links course 8 years ago, switched to a 2 iron at the time and now have an 18 deg hybrid same loft as a 5 wood. Prob hit it about the same distance i would a 5 wood, but can hit how i want to not sure i could do the same with a 5 wood

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Personally, I'd be lost without my 4 wood. Certainly my go to club!

When I bought the club, I got the same distance out the three and the four, but I hit the four more consistent. I've been tempted by the same club with a 7 wood loft, but I hit my hybrid the same sort of distance. Save myself some £££'s and spend it on balls and tees!

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I carry driver/5 wood, I use my 5w off the tee on shorter par 4's, or if accuracy is a greater requirement than distance.

I don't carry a 3w as I found during my fitting I hit the 5w only a few yards shorter, so no point in carrying both.

I do have a gap between 5w & 4i though, so will need to invest in my first hybrid I think to fill it.