5 wood recommendations

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Current 5 wood- TM T580 titanium, with a grafalloy prolaunch red axis shaft (regular flex)

It's developing a disturbing rattle that seems to be getting worse

Any recommendations? I don't wanna go above £80-£100 as I like a good deal

Local golf shop has the following (lots of cobras)

Cobra S2 with a "fit on max" 60g shaft £69

Cobra s3 with a Fuji blur £69

Cobra Baffler Rail F with a Fuji motore 65g shaft £79

Cobra Amp with an RIP 50g shaft (quite like his one despite the orange grip) £99, but I can get a price match to £79

Ping G15 but only a stiff shaft option but it's stock ping so might be ok? £79

Mizzy MP650 with a Fuji orochi red eye (titanium but possibly a bit too un forgiving for me) £79

I also like the Callaway Razr x black or the octane as they sound nice and fit in with my driver but no idea where I can find one to hit

And possibly a nike covert, but I prefer the look of the tour one but again it might be too difficult to hit

Any other ideas for me, I really want as close as possible to my R580 in terms of the shaft as I seem to get on better with the less whippy end of the regular flex range

Or do I just buy another R580 on ebay and swap the shaft over :D

I just don't wanna go in and hit all of the I'd like to narrow it down a wee bit

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Simple answer really. Try as many as you can before you buy and see how they fly and feel. Maybe have a look at Golfbidder. I may be wrong (not the first time) but they offer a ten day return policy

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've got a TM R11 5 metal, cracking club, probably be able to pick be pretty cheaply now I would suspect.

Seen an R11s on discount golf for £90, I'm not sold on the white though, does it hit well?

Simple answer really. Try as many as you can before you buy and see how they fly and feel. Maybe have a look at Golfbidder. I may be wrong (not the first time) but they offer a ten day return policy

10 day return, that sounds good!

virtuocity

Tour Winner
Visit site
Bear in mind that the 10 day return involves dealing with a company that overcharges on 2nd hand goods and you will have to pay return postage. However, I've never heard anyone complain about the quality of their goods.

Try a Ping G10. I've also heard that the RBZ (stage 1) fairway woods are lethal.

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Bear in mind that the 10 day return involves dealing with a company that overcharges on 2nd hand goods and you will have to pay return postage. However, I've never heard anyone complain about the quality of their goods.

Try a Ping G10. I've also heard that the RBZ (stage 1) fairway woods are lethal.

They seem impossible to find lol

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Take into account the gap too.
Many 5 woods are 18 degree loft vs a 3 wood's 15 - to my mind that's a worthless difference.
I suspect many people can hit their 5 wood only a few yards shorter than their 3's...
That's not say a 19 degree is much better but you'll have more of a gap between clubs - do you really need a 10 yard gap between 3 and 5 wood from 200+ yards..?
I know that, on average, my 5 is only a few yards behind the average 3

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Many 5 woods are 18 degree loft vs a 3 wood's 15 - to my mind that's a worthless difference.
I suspect many people can hit their 5 wood only a few yards shorter than their 3's...
That's not say a 19 degree is much better but you'll have more of a gap between clubs - do you really need a 10 yard gap between 3 and 5 wood from 200+ yards..?

For this exact reason I don't bother with a 3 wood (despite what's written in my sig) Plus a 5 is way easier to hit (well my r580 is)

Last edited:

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The baffler rail f with Motore should be a powerful bat

Yeah I like it, supposedly quite easy to hit also

Feeling like I may try the S3, Baffler and AMP (as they're cheap) and possibly the covert as I feel the need to try it (although still not totally sold on the red)

Last edited:

paddyc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Unless your adamant you want a 5 wood I would consider trying some hybrids as an alternative if you can get the gaps in distance consistent.I went to the AG range looking at getting a 5 wood and came away with a hybrid equivalent in degrees which I found went as far,I was able to shape shots better and control the flight.I find them easier to hit from fairway bunkers, the rough and are useful around the green.
Try them up against the 5 wood, hitting different shots, you never know.

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Unless your adamant you want a 5 wood I would consider trying some hybrids as an alternative if you can get the gaps in distance consistent.I went to the AG range looking at getting a 5 wood and came away with a hybrid equivalent in degrees which I found went as far,I was able to shape shots better and control the flight.I find them easier to hit from fairway bunkers, the rough and are useful around the green.
Try them up against the 5 wood, hitting different shots, you never know.

If I can't find a 5 wood I hit as well as my current one I may do but I never seem to hit hybrids very well and hear lower lofted ones are even harder to hit

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Try the nike covert :thup:

In the past I've been a nike "hater"..........no real reason, just never found anything I liked or worked for me, from nike, for years, so stopped looking at their gear
But picked these up in a shop couple of times, just sit really nice

Monday, finally decided to hit one
The 5 wood is great club, so easy to hit, give it a try

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
I've got a TM R11 5 metal, cracking club, probably be able to pick be pretty cheaply now I would suspect.

Seen an R11s on discount golf for £90, I'm not sold on the white though, does it hit well?

Hell yeah, catch it in the sweet spot and it will go like a rocket, off the ground or a low tee it's a good club.

I also have the R11 3 Metal, different to the 5 I know, but to make a rough comparison, I tried the new Titleist 913F against the TM R11 3 metal and there was no difference. Trackman had them both going out to the same distance and dispersion was similar.

What I'm trying to get at is, if an older TM club can keep up with the equivalent latest model then there is some mileage in giving it a bash.

RobertB

Assistant Pro
Visit site

This.

For many people a driver then high teens degree 4/5 wood is better option than slotting in a 13/14 degree 3 wood. The 4/5 wood has good versatility off tee and ground. Last year it was the way I went as I was just not getting enough spin of ground with a 13.5 3W.

The one problem that you should consider is where and conditions that you play in. I've mixed between links and parkland and in hindsight the one failing of the 18/19 in links conditions is its flight into wind on holes where you don't want driver... so I'm thinking of revisiting my decision and getting something around 15 degree (or maybe try out a 712u 2i or 3i if I'm macho enough) that I can swap between depending on wind / course condition I'm playing.

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Try the nike covert :thup:

In the past I've been a nike "hater"..........no real reason, just never found anything I liked or worked for me, from nike, for years, so stopped looking at their gear
But picked these up in a shop couple of times, just sit really nice

Monday, finally decided to hit one
The 5 wood is great club, so easy to hit, give it a try

I think its on the list just over my £100 limit but if it's good it's worth creeping over

Hell yeah, catch it in the sweet spot and it will go like a rocket, off the ground or a low tee it's a good club.

I also have the R11 3 Metal, different to the 5 I know, but to make a rough comparison, I tried the new Titleist 913F against the TM R11 3 metal and there was no difference. Trackman had them both going out to the same distance and dispersion was similar.

What I'm trying to get at is, if an older TM club can keep up with the equivalent latest model then there is some mileage in giving it a bash.

If I can find one I'll give it a fair shake (local pro often has trade in's etc)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Current 5 wood- TM T580 titanium, with a grafalloy prolaunch red axis shaft (regular flex)

It's developing a disturbing rattle that seems to be getting worse

Any recommendations? I don't wanna go above £80-£100 as I like a good deal

Or do I just buy another R580 on ebay and swap the shaft over :D

I just don't wanna go in and hit all of the I'd like to narrow it down a wee bit

It could well be something that a little 'hot melt' could solve.

Give Rene Cleaver a ring at Clubmasters - local-ish to you.