4BBB-Handicaps Question

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks

I had not picked that up. I had already advised that it works on Course Handicap.

Indeed, that was my assumption too....couldn't imagine a reason why it would change....and I guess that will be one of those differences that folks just dont "get" and people will use the "old way" out of sheer habit....and wont see any need to change.

Makes a difference even at some low level differences in handicaps.... a 4BBB match which involves a 3 and a 6 handicapper would see the 6 handicapper getting 3 shots under CONGU but only 2 shots under the WHS way of calculating things. In some cases a player may get a shot more under the WHS than they would have done under CONGU (e.g. a 13 handicapper who is taking his allowance from a 6 handicapper gets 7 under WHS but only 6 under CONGU).

Mozza14

Visit site
I had already been sent Appendix C in response to the same question. The original handicap allowances notes did not define the calculation.

It is a different process to the current practice of 4 ball BB Matchplay. I am not sure whether there is any reason or rationale for this change or just an accidental change?

As this is a commonly used format of golf, both for Competitions and Casual, the change needs to be well communicated or rescinded.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I know that, I asked is there any difference if the calculation is done the other way round, as in stroke play.
Mathematically, if using exactly figures, the calculation aways gives the same answer either way. But in handicaps, we use rounded figures. Therefore, mostly you get the same answer but doing it "the other way round" does sometimes give a different answer - caused by the "rounding" element of the calculation

For example, use handicaps of 6 and 4
A) 90% of the difference
6 minus 4 = 2
90% of 2 = 1.8
Rounded = 2 so 2 shots given
B) Difference between 90% of h/c
90% of 6 = 5.4
Rounded = 5
90% of 4 = 3.6
Rounded = 4
Difference berween 5 and 4 is 1, so only one shot given

Same happens where 90% of one h/c is rounded down and 90% of the other is rounded up. Hence you should always do the "proper" calculation - ie 90% of the difference
Edit: other posts got there before me.

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seems to me that in our regular Wed 4 ball where we have a 5, 8. 12. and 16 h/c, only the 12 keeps the same number of shots. The 8 and 16 lose 1 shot against the 5 h/c. :mad: