4BBB can you mark your own card

nyckuk

Visit site
It was peeing down last week and me and another idiot thought we’ll still play . We could see on the app lots of people had pulled out but the group in front looked like one pair were still playing. They must of pulled out last minute so we were left on our own . My playing partner was under the impression you had to have another pair mark your card . I thought he could mark it and I could verify it , As you do in Texas scramble .
We decided not to bother and just played few holes before we walked in ☔🌧️🌧️🌧️
Who was right me or him ??

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well, using the ig or Scottish Golf app you can keep your own score and just ask someone else to attest it. No card required at all.

wjemather

Visit site
No, you cannot mark your own card. From the definition of a marker: "The marker may be another player, but not a partner."

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would think it would be up to the committee to decide if you could mark your own card. Ideally they would provide a marker - our club put out emails in the morning if they have a ‘single’ pair to try and get someone to play and act as marker.

D-S

Visit site
I realise that it is a rule of golf but would be interested to know the rationale to not trusting two people in the marking of a team card but happy to accept that three or four players on the same team are acceptable (apart from practicality).

wjemather

Visit site
I realise that it is a rule of golf but would be interested to know the rationale to not trusting two people in the marking of a team card but happy to accept that three or four players on the same team are acceptable (apart from practicality).
Rule 21.5 states that the Rules of Golf can be adapted for forms of play that are not specifically covered by the rules. Allowing marking of your own score in 3 & 4 player formats is one such adaptation - a necessary one for practical reasons.

wjemather

Visit site
I would think it would be up to the committee to decide if you could mark your own card. Ideally they would provide a marker - our club put out emails in the morning if they have a ‘single’ pair to try and get someone to play and act as marker.
Committee Procedures 5G(3):
"In stroke play, a player or side always needs to have someone other than the player or a member of the side to mark the scorecard. The Committee may specify or restrict who may act as the marker for each player by specifying that the marker must be a player in the same competition and group, a player with a handicap, or in some other way.
In a format where two or more partners compete together as a side (for example, in a Foursomes or Four-Ball competition), they are not allowed to act as the side’s marker.
Where there is not an even number of sides for a partner format, the Committee may need to find a marker for a side playing on its own or choose to have a group containing three sides."

D-S

Visit site
In a format where two or more partners compete together as a side (for example, in a Foursomes or Four-Ball competition), they are not allowed to act as the side’s marker”

So isn’t this contrary to the well established practice that in a 3 ball (2 out of 3) one of the players is allowed to act as a marker for their side?

IanMcC

Visit site
I was told that the second paragraph of the Marker definition was added so that the Committee could intervene in such circumstances to allow a pair to mark, and also to allow 3 or 4 player teams to mark their own. I believe I heard this at a rules forum.

D-S

Visit site
I was told that the second paragraph of the Marker definition was added so that the Committee could intervene in such circumstances to allow a pair to mark, and also to allow 3 or 4 player teams to mark their own. I believe I heard this at a rules forum.
So the committee could intervene to allow one of a pair to mark a 4BB card?

wjemather

Visit site
Sounds to me like something someone has made up to justify what they (want to) do.

If it were true, the committee procedures wouldn't say the opposite.

wjemather

Visit site
Another option when a pair finds themselves with no marker available: each player could be allowed to compete as a side without a partner, marking each others score.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am no longer involved

We have seen a big decline in the number of players wanting to play in 4BBBb trophy comps and the start sheet often shows a 2 ball only.

I do not know what happens but I bet nobody checks signatures.

DickInShorts

Visit site
The major downside of a single pair marking their own card arises if they are in the prizes.
My wife and I played as a single pair in a Greensomes a few years ago - fortunately the host club provided a marker as we won!
The other option of playing as a three pair group is it is incredibly slow and also holds up all the following groups

Swango1980

Visit site
We played in a big organized event last month (not my club), 4BBB. The first pair went out on their own and marked their own score, as I believe the people they were meant to play with didn't turn up, and the club had nobody to go out and mark their score.

Low and behold, they won the entire event with 47 points.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We played in a big organized event last month (not my club), 4BBB. The first pair went out on their own and marked their own score, as I believe the people they were meant to play with didn't turn up, and the club had nobody to go out and mark their score.

Lo and behold, they won the entire event with 47 points.
…and a questioning person might ask whether or not the winning pair knew the pair who had pulled out…🤔🧐

Last edited: