40th Birthday Trip

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Have my 40th birthday coming up early next year (February), have no idea what to do or what present I would like.

My wife had suggested I go on a golf break, but where?

St Andrews and Gleneages have been suggested but being February maybe Scotland may not be the best idea.

What suggestions do you all have or where would you go? I have to say though I would want to keep it UK or drive-able if i'm honest due to issues transporting clubs.

Jake O'Reilly

GM Staff
www.golf-monthly.co.uk
Have my 40th birthday coming up early next year (February), have no idea what to do or what present I would like.

What suggestions do you all have or where would you go? I have to say though I would want to keep it UK or drive-able if i'm honest due to issues transporting clubs.

Here's our top 50 golf stay and play venues in Great Britain and Ireland for your perusal: http://www.golf-monthly.co.uk/cours...50-places-to-stay-play-in-the-uk-ireland-8408

I also went to Turkey in February (free return club transport with Turkish Airlines) and that has lovely weather for that time of year and some top courses with a reasonable price tag.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
You need to get out of the UK. You could be up to your armpits in snow in Feb.

Turkey is a good bet for weather, Cyprus not bad, Majorca/Costa decent enough. Bit more money and Florida is lovely then, Dubai will be warm too.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My concern is February, I have to say I would look at April or so to assist with weather.

If i'm honest I would rather play a notable UK course than going abroad, however this is more because i'm unsure of the logistics of going abroad with clubs etc.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
My concern is February, I have to say I would look at April or so to assist with weather.

If i'm honest I would rather play a notable UK course than going abroad, however this is more because i'm unsure of the logistics of going abroad with clubs etc.

Stretch to last day of April, first week of May and do St Andrews - it's magical - Or an hour south of that North Berwick/Gullane

Only problem with Feb at St Andrews isn't the weather unless you are a fair weather golfer - links courses don't get boggy and snow doesn't lie on them for long either

Going abroad in Feb is a decent option too - I wouldn't bother taking my clubs for a short trip abroad though - I'd hire from someone like http://www.clubstohire.com - used them in Algarve last year - pick them up at airport after landing and return before taking off - cheap as chips and decent clubs

Last edited:
D

Deleted Member 1156

If you are not convinced about the hassle of flying with clubs etc, why not look at a ferry trip to somewhere like Jersey or Northern France? Weather tends to be a little bit warmer than mainland UK and possibly drier too.

NorfolkShaun

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Stretch to last day of April, first week of May and do St Andrews - it's magical - Or an hour south of that North Berwick/Gullane

Only problem with Feb at St Andrews isn't the weather unless you are a fair weather golfer - links courses don't get boggy and snow doesn't lie on them for long either

Going abroad in Feb is a decent option too - I wouldn't bother taking my clubs for a short trip abroad though - I'd hire from someone like http://www.clubstohire.com - used them in Algarve last year - pick them up at airport after landing and return before taking off - cheap as chips and decent clubs

St Andrews is clearly (well to me) one that comes to mind, as long as it does not snow the weather is really no issue to me I will play in anything.

I think at the moment but by no means a closed list i'm thinking in no order St Andrews, Turnberry, Celtic Manor, Gleneagles.

This is really a one off for me as I do not see me doing this all that often and am looking I guess for a once in lifetime kind of trip one you can say when you see the places on TV I've played there if that makes sense.

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site

Pack them carefully, check them in and take them off the conveyor at the other end !! wheres the problem??