400 yards

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Depending on who the data relates to could it be weather related? A wet summer means little ball roll, the numbers are depressed. A summer like 2018 and even us short hitters, I'm not inferring you in this, can get an extra 20-30yds of roll. That could distort the figures. If the figures are taken worldwide then ignore this theory.

Good point!

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Depending on who the data relates to could it be weather related? A wet summer means little ball roll, the numbers are depressed. A summer like 2018 and even us short hitters, I'm not inferring you in this, can get an extra 20-30yds of roll. That could distort the figures. If the figures are taken worldwide then ignore this theory.

Are you saying I can't claim the 380 yd belter I hit on a rock hard fairway as my average drive!

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Distance has always been related to course and weather conditions.
In my youth I have driven a 400 yard green the conditions were baked fairway, downhill and wind assisted.
Nowadays I would assume in similar conditions an average pro would be using a 22 degree rescue, perhaps a 3 iron.

I was hitting the ball equidistant in my mid 50's with a Big Bertha than I was with a tiny perssimon headed driver John Letters Powermaster in my teens. [roughly about 260 yards in 'normal flat conditions.]
I had much more control with the Big Bertha so in my case it was not all about distance.

sunshine

Visit site
I think all golf courses should be lengthened to 10,000 yards to keep them relevant. One set of tees only though. Multiple tees is bifurcation, and dilutes the pure golfiness of the experience.
Those courses that cannot manage this within the confines of their borders should be forced to close, as they are not in keeping with the way the modern game should be played. They are no longer offering golf, and as such trades description malfeasance rules should apply.

Or, roll back the equipment (not just the ball).

Don't need to close courses shorter than 10,000 yards. A 6,000 yarder can be converted to a 9 holer, or even better, a driving range, because after all the only interesting thing in golf is smashing bombs. :p