400 yards

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Apparently everyone's favourite bomber Mr BDC has been getting over 400 yds of carry in practice and not even using the 48 incher yet .
Those old geezers in their green blazers will be worried ???

D

Deleted member 25172

Full credit to BDC for getting to that place, but that is truly an issue for golf imo.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Doesn’t have to be a tournament ball, could be an everyday ball. Just set the aero efficiency and the compression . Then it will bring everyone back and the courses will be relevant.
You will get people moaning about it, but we all moan about speed limits , they are there to protect us and those around us, making a limit here is about protecting the watching public, and the pro who will have a short career..

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
When talking about 2 sets of equipment for pros and amateurs, we don't talk about the crossover. Imagine becoming a great player in your teens with the potential of turning pro, and then having to get used to a different ball...

In fairness to BDC, if hitting the ball long was as easy as some people make it out to be, then everyone on tour would be doing it. And I still think Morikawa's win a few months back shows that whilst long distance is an advantage, it isn't absolutely needed to win a major.

D

Deleted member 3432

When talking about 2 sets of equipment for pros and amateurs, we don't talk about the crossover. Imagine becoming a great player in your teens with the potential of turning pro, and then having to get used to a different ball...

In fairness to BDC, if hitting the ball long was as easy as some people make it out to be, then everyone on tour would be doing it. And I still think Morikawa's win a few months back shows that whilst long distance is an advantage, it isn't absolutely needed to win a major.

I remember when 260 yards was an absolute bomb in pro terms and St Andrews Old and other classic courses were still relevent in the pro game.

Do we really want to see the current pro's hitting a 3 iron up the 18th at St Andrews as any wood in the bag will be pitching in the dining room of the R&A Clubhouse

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I agree that that aspect sucks... If someone like BDC plays The Old Course on a calm day and is putting well, it isn't unthinkable to see him going round in 57 or something absurd.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
But equally, so what? One day we'll see a sub 9 second 100m sprint... Is it a problem that there will be low scores at The Old Course? My automatic answer is yes but the more I think about it, why? All sports evolve.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But equally, so what? One day we'll see a sub 9 second 100m sprint... Is it a problem that there will be low scores at The Old Course? My automatic answer is yes but the more I think about it, why? All sports evolve.
Weren’t the super light kinetic trainers band from marathons? Why are there not 13 footballers ... ? Even the football has evolved and had to be reigned back...it’s got to happen

D

Deleted member 3432

Golf is evolving into driver, wedge and putting.

Long and mid iron play is for par 3's only and as such it makes the game of golf a far poorer spectacle.

Historically the great players have all been great iron players and Tiger Woods may have been the best of all.

Glorified long drive contests is where the game is heading and the game will be all the poorer for it.

evemccc

Visit site
Golf is evolving into driver, wedge and putting.

Long and mid iron play is for par 3's only and as such it makes the game of golf a far poorer spectacle.

Historically the great players have all been great iron players and Tiger Woods may have been the best of all.

Glorified long drive contests is where the game is heading and the game will be all the poorer for it.

Yeah, I like using my irons and I like watching good long approach shots best of all, and courses that allow that

I don’t see the problem with bifurcation

As per Rory Mc on his 2 hour NLU podcast interview, players need just 2 weeks to get used to a new ball

The have to adapt daily to changing course / weather conditions, Green speed, different grasses and humidity etc already. Tennis players adapt to clay, hard, and grass courts - and different makes of ball between tournaments. I see no reason why a tournament ball should not exist (except manufacturers won’t like it)

D

Deleted member 3432

Yeah, I like using my irons and I like watching good long approach shots best of all, and courses that allow that

As per Rory Mc no NLU interview, players need just 2 weeks to get used to a new ball

The have to adapt daily to changing course / weather conditions, Green speed, different grasses and humidity etc already. Tennis players adapt to clay, hard, and grass courts - and different makes of ball between tournaments. I see no reason why a tournament ball should not exist (except manufacturers won’t like it)

Totally agree and then we don't need to build new golf courses to host pro events.

Long hitting is long hitting so long at 270 yards is still an advantage over those at 250 yards and the players are facing the same challenge as all the previous generations.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Weren’t the super light kinetic trainers band from marathons? Why are there not 13 footballers ... ? Even the football has evolved and had to be reigned back...it’s got to happen
13 footballers? What are you on about?

Football, like most sports, has changed from even 20 years ago. Players are fitter, faster, stronger, etc. I'm not saying I like the idea of 400 yard drives, but sports evolve.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site

As per Rory Mc on his 2 hour NLU podcast interview, players need just 2 weeks to get used to a new ball

...and of course the different characteristics of different makes of cricket ball that cricketers face even when playing at the very highest level.

evemccc

Visit site
13 footballers? What are you on about?

Football, like most sports, has changed from even 20 years ago. Players are fitter, faster, stronger, etc. I'm not saying I like the idea of 400 yard drives, but sports evolve.

They sure do. And not always for the better..

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site

Happens in baseball with no complaints

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
we are all free to do what bryson is doing.. it takes an incredible amount of dedication (and pies) , we may not get to 180+ ball speeds, but we are probaly all capabale of adding more speed and distance. I find the amount of ire he recieves very strange as I do the clamour for a reduced ball. I'm still a bit sceptical of the 400yd insta post too..