36 holes with overnight stay as treat

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm after a venue for a 36 hole 2 day (1 night) trip. A mate has been very good to me this last year and I want to treat him (and me to be fair) to a nice course with somewhere nice to stay and have a decent dinner.

My initial thinking was Princes would be a good bet with a stay at the lodge inc dinner, but open to alternative suggestions given I've played there a couple of times before.

Both me and my friend live in Kent, don't mind travelling a bit for something special so don't limit your suggestions geographically.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I'm after a venue for a 36 hole 2 day (1 night) trip. A mate has been very good to me this last year and I want to treat him (and me to be fair) to a nice course with somewhere nice to stay and have a decent dinner.

My initial thinking was Princes would be a good bet with a stay at the lodge inc dinner, but open to alternative suggestions given I've played there a couple of times before.

Both me and my friend live in Kent, don't mind travelling a bit for something special so don't limit your suggestions geographically.

played the hotchkin at Lincoln 2 weeks ago what a course that is ….beat me up but I’d love another go at it sure you’d get a deal for there and the bracken

Is a bit of a trek from Kent but its probably the best track in England

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A little downmarket compared to the suggestions above, but my dad's course (Seaford) is a decent down/heathland course in Sussex with a very pleasant dormy house. Decent food last time I was there.
A good autumn choice due to excellent drainage.

Chisteve

Head Pro
Visit site
Not sure where your based Goodwood (my home club) is always worth a visit not cheap both courses are in pretty good nick the downs has fantastic views over the Solent Isle of White + kennels restaurant is worth a visit for dinner

AAC

Visit site

You could try Brocket Hall (Welwyn Garden City), it has 2 courses & I think you can stay there too, if so you could splash out and eat on site at The Auberge du Lac.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you fancy a trip along the M4 to Wiltshire, you could base yourself at Bowood and play there and Castle Combe (or vice versa). Bit further along the M4 over the bridge brings in The Vale, 2 nice courses and lovely hotel.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
You could try Brocket Hall (Welwyn Garden City), it has 2 courses & I think you can stay there too, if so you could splash out and eat on site at The Auberge du Lac.

depends when hes looking at going, Auberge is shut currently and sounds like it may be until spring at least, not sure if you can stay overnight currently either

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Depends if you want an all in one resort, if so somewhere like East Sussex National maybe? If happy not to be a resort as such the norfolk coast seems a good option and not too far from where you are

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did think Norfolk coast could be good. I've played Sheringham before, but not Cromer, Brancaster, Hunstanton etc.

Re timing of the trip, given it's pushing on a bit into autumn now, it'll probably be spring, realistically.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
East Sussex National is great.
Goodwood looks very good and I've booked it for November... so hoping it lives up to expectations.
Foxhills is pricey but well worth it, so depends how good he's been!
The Grove is a lovely course, but a crap, overpriced hotel.
St. Mellion absolutely worth a look if you're not worried about travel. Maybe Celtic Manor too.
Outside bets, Old Thorns may be worth a look as would The Park near Bath (previously Tracey Park, I think).

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
we are heading to Sandford Springs golf club and hotel this weekend. They have 3 x 9 hole courses, and it seems to have great reviews
It's good. Nice hotel and some good holes on the golf course. Uphill driving range quite a way from the first tees, but still pretty good.
Nice pro shop.
Sure you'll enjoy it.

pauljames87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Id say your initial call was a good one

Princes has 3 X 9 holes so you will only play one of the 9s twice

Beautiful town, lovely views

Plus not far for you to travel

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I know Princes is the obvious one as you mentioned, but i did an overnight stay in the Lodge a couple of weeks ago (Sunday to Monday) and thought for the money it was excellent. The food was much better than i expected (and i'm pretty discerning), rooms were very comfortable and the courses were also playing really nicely. I think we paid a couple of hundred pounds each DB&B plus 2 x 18 holes which i thought was very good value.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know Princes is the obvious one as you mentioned, but i did an overnight stay in the Lodge a couple of weeks ago (Sunday to Monday) and thought for the money it was excellent. The food was much better than i expected (and i'm pretty discerning), rooms were very comfortable and the courses were also playing really nicely. I think we paid a couple of hundred pounds each DB&B plus 2 x 18 holes which i thought was very good value.

Thank you, that does sound very good value. I played 27 holes there last September and I think that on its own was c£165 (on a Friday).

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
played the hotchkin at Lincoln 2 weeks ago what a course that is ….beat me up but I’d love another go at it sure you’d get a deal for there and the bracken

Is a bit of a trek from Kent but its probably the best track in England

Would second this. Plenty of reasonably priced, comfortable accommodation in the village (Woodhall Spa) along with decent eateries and a few places to get a beer or 6 as well.