I'm stumped, help needed with trolley

Bunker52

Visit site
I've a powakaddy fw3i with 36 hole lithium battery, probably 5 or 6 years old. Last week it just stopped on the 18th hole, wheels caked with mud,so I thought maybe it had just cut out ?? Took it home, charged the battery overnight, put it in and worked fine. Went out today, again a heavy muddy course, and it packed in after 8 hole leaving me to push it the rest of the round (? No way to freewheel it?).

Got home and tested the battery with a meter ..showing minimal power<1 volts. Put on charge for literally 5-10 minutes, tested again and got 13-14 volts. Put in trolley and it works, so I left running (upside down) until it stopped after about half hour. Left 10 minutes then just switched on and it worked again but slowly.

Q? Is there a cutout built in that causes it to stop if too much load.

Does this sound like a battery problem....happy to buy a new one but not cheap so don't want to if the fault is elsewhere.

Any advice welcome.

Phil

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Thinking that...but wasn't sure if there was some sort of cutout that caused it to stop if under a heavy load

If your battery is dropping to less than 1 volt, it would be a strange coincidence that there’s something else stopping it working as well, plus, it seems to be recharging very quickly back up to full voltage.

Bunker52

Visit site
If your battery is dropping to less than 1 volt, it would be a strange coincidence that there’s something else stopping it working as well, plus, it seems to be recharging very quickly back up to full voltage.
After that 10 minute charge I've been running it for the last few hours...but it seems to stop every half hour is so. Then I switch on and it goes again.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Anyone else in your group got the same battery.
Swop them over when it goes and if yours is ok and theirs not it’s the battery.
If the other battery dosnt work on yours it’s the trolley.

Troymcclure

Medal Winner
Visit site
(? No way to freewheel it?).
No idea on the issue but most trolleys have a freewheel option via clips on the wheels. In fact, apart from being bloody hard to push it with the wheels still engaged I thought it was bad for the trolley.

A mate of mine’s packed up the other day. I had to show him how to put into freewheel mode and also, I took his battery out to lighten the load and it hitchhiked the rest of the round aboard my trolley.

MACM85

Visit site
Could always contact a local powakaddy repair centre for them to have a look at it. If it is a case of a battery change then it'll be cheaper than a new trolley

Red scorpion

Visit site
Had a similar problem with my fw3.would run then stop for a couple of holes then burst into life again.stripped it down and replaced printed circuit board and new motor(only replaced motor as it the connector between circuit board and motor were fused together looked like it had melted)i dont think the motor was the problem but to change 2 things you never know.