3 Club Challenge

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
We've got our annual 3 club challenge at my club on Sunday.

3 clubs only but one has to be a putter, what would be your other 2 weapons of choice?

For me, it's 7 iron and SW.

If you think about it taking a s/w limits you to only hitting the distance you can hit this club, whereas taking a 8 iron gives you much more options, you should be able to do a shorter swing to get the same distance as a s/w, it's not to hard to try and avoid bunkers and if you do happen to go in it shouldn't be that many and you could open up the face of the 8 iron to get out.

Makes more sense to me to take a wood but whatever you choose good luck, let us now how you get on.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you think about it taking a s/w limits you to only hitting the distance you can hit this club, whereas taking a 8 iron gives you much more options, you should be able to do a shorter swing to get the same distance as a s/w, it's not to hard to try and avoid bunkers and if you do happen to go in it shouldn't be that many and you could open up the face of the 8 iron to get out.

Makes more sense to me to take a wood but whatever you choose good luck, let us now how you get on.
Assuming the OP doesn't play on a course with pot bunkers but I think your point is valid. Also, if the sand is damp, it may be possible to almost hit a chip shot out and the 8 iron will be viable around the greens. Also if you hood the face you could use less loft to get more distance

Wolf

Visit site
I'd go for 4 hybrid and an 8 iron, it would allow for good length off the tee on par 4s, Par 5s, and long par 3s. 8 iron could be utilised for wedge play and short game.

May have to give this a go one day.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I won this three times at my old club and went 5-wood, wedge and putter every time. Saw a guy try to putt with his 3-wood and he made a par-4 for 4 points on the SI-2 hole hitting four 3-woods. Just amazing thing to witness.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
ours is 3 clubs one must be a putter last year i took 24 deg hybrid and SW. We have deep pot bunker if you are in one of those, you would be lucky to get out with anything but a wedge of some sort as you can't always guarantee you can come out backwards or sideways. seen plenty take 7 and 8 irons only to fall foul of a bunker.

Parkland would be less of an issue with a mid iron and a long club IMO

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not sure if someone who has played in many of these but hss never come close once should be giving advice but there again I do not get many shots

For me it has to be clubs that I can manipulate to produce different distances/ type of shots. I normally go with a 6 and a PW.

I have played to 2 over gross on our nine hole using this combo but only in casual play.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
sh
Not sure if someone who has played in many of these but hss never come close once should be giving advice but there again I do not get many shots

For me it has to be clubs that I can manipulate to produce different distances/ type of shots. I normally go with a 6 and a PW.

I have played to 2 over gross on our nine hole using this combo but only in casual play.
shot 74 gross with my choice last year, my PPers commented that that would win easily as its usually mid to high 70 net, wasn't even in the prizes as there were two scores in the mid 60's gross by a couple of plus guy sand 67 net from a 20 handicaper

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I've won our 3 club comp. 3 times, I take 3 wood 8 iron and putter, 3 wood gives you more of a chance on the tees on par 4s and 5s also can be used for low running punch shots.

3 club comps. are all about manipulating shots, 8 iron can be used for chipping on around the green and it can easy take the place of any wedge and it's fun trying something different.

I should also add it depends on what h/c you are,for the better players maybe no need to take a wood

Really enjoyed all of the replies but I've been thinking a lot about this one all day and the clubs you suggested and I'm really liking the sound of a 5w (I don't have a 3w) and 8 iron combo. This would suit my course very well too, no pot bunkers, nothing where I have to have a certain carry distance.

I like it.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Really enjoyed all of the replies but I've been thinking a lot about this one all day and the clubs you suggested and I'm really liking the sound of a 5w (I don't have a 3w) and 8 iron combo. This would suit my course very well too, no pot bunkers, nothing where I have to have a certain carry distance.

I like it.

Yes 5w is a good option should give you good distance off the tee and fairways with the added bonus of playing it out of the semi rough if the lie is not to bad.

Good luck.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Just got back.

Went with the 5 wood/8 iron combo and I played okay. I was pulling a lot of my shots left but did enough to get 29 points, winning total was 36, so I wasn't too far off.

My highlight of the day was chipping in with the 8 iron to save a par, was in all the way too.

Went in 3 or 4 bunkers and got out every time which I was very pleased with. Enjoyed my day overall, which is the main thing.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Just got back.

Went with the 5 wood/8 iron combo and I played okay. I was pulling a lot of my shots left but did enough to get 29 points, winning total was 36, so I wasn't too far off.

My highlight of the day was chipping in with the 8 iron to save a par, was in all the way too.

Went in 3 or 4 bunkers and got out every time which I was very pleased with. Enjoyed my day overall, which is the main thing.
Sounds like you did ok and had a good day out. Not my favourite format (like others I prefer three clubs and a putter) but it just shows you what you can do and how you do have the skill set to play different shots