3 Club Challenge

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
We've got our annual 3 club challenge at my club on Sunday.

3 clubs only but one has to be a putter, what would be your other 2 weapons of choice?

For me, it's 7 iron and SW.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'd have to do similar to you and choose 7 iron and 50° I think. I'd be hitting three shots into a few of the par 4s, but I can't hit my hybrid that well so I wouldn't want to be stuck with that if I'm having a bad day with it. 7 iron is pretty safe and secure. My 50° goes around 100 yards on a full swing, plus it's just lofted enough that I could open the face and get out of a bunker with it.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It'll be personal not only to the player and their yardages but to the course also (as mentioned making sure par 3's are playable)

I'd probably end up with 19 hybrid and 8 iron

D

Deleted member 21258

I would say 7 iron and gap wedge(52), depending on what distance you hit the irons.

I would be looking to ensure I can reach all par 4s and hopefully par 5s in a max of 3 shots, as they form the larger number of holes on the course and hope that my short game is on fire on the day.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
It'll be personal not only to the player and their yardages but to the course also (as mentioned making sure par 3's are playable)

Absolutely. For me, the 7 iron makes all the par 3s reachable and should make some of the par 4s reachable in two. I am torn between my GW (50) and my SW (54), as I can play either confidently.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Absolutely. For me, the 7 iron makes all the par 3s reachable and should make some of the par 4s reachable in two. I am torn between my GW (50) and my SW (54), as I can play either confidently.
I'd have thought go with the 50 for less of a gap between that and the 7?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'd have thought go with the 50 for less of a gap between that and the 7?

I'm not sure gaping is that important in a 3 club challenge, for me its more about what shots I can fashion with certain clubs given the likely layout of the course and weather

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure gaping is that important in a 3 club challenge, for me its more about what shots I can fashion with certain clubs given the likely layout of the course and weather
Well it's all part and parcel. The bigger the gap, it means if he has, say, 100 yards he'll still have to use the 7 iron if it's too far for his 54, whereas a 50 could make it. And you can open the face of the 50 to do many of the shots you'd play with a 54, so I figure it covers more bases. It's each to their own and what they are capable of though of course.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Probably 7i + PW for me..
I can play all our Par 3s with a 7...just..and 3 7 irons gets me near enough to the green to pitch and putt the par 5s.
Funniest thing would be watching all the electric trolleys loaded with 3 clubs...:LOL:

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Agree its player yardages, adaptability to certain clubs and hole lengths that dictate the differences.

For me hybrid and 9 iron. Hybrid for tee shots, some 2nd shots, around the green and out of trees...low shots etc. 9 iron I could play shots I normally do with all my wedges and can deloft for a bit extra distance.

Mr Hip

Medal Winner
Visit site
I'm thinking about our three par fives, our 450 yard stroke one and our 230 yard stroke three on the front nine and a similar mix on the back nine. So I'm with Homer - five and eight or nine iron.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I would say 7 iron and gap wedge(52), depending on what distance you hit the irons.

I would be looking to ensure I can reach all par 4s and hopefully par 5s in a max of 3 shots, as they form the larger number of holes on the course and hope that my short game is on fire on the day.
Same 👍

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I've won our 3 club comp. 3 times, I take 3 wood 8 iron and putter, 3 wood gives you more of a chance on the tees on par 4s and 5s also can be used for low running punch shots.

3 club comps. are all about manipulating shots, 8 iron can be used for chipping on around the green and it can easy take the place of any wedge and it's fun trying something different.

I should also add it depends on what h/c you are,for the better players maybe no need to take a wood

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
I've won our 3 club comp. 3 times, I take 3 wood 8 iron and putter, 3 wood gives you more of a chance on the tees on par 4s and 5s also can be used for low running punch shots.

3 club comps. are all about manipulating shots, 8 iron can be used for chipping on around the green and it can easy take the place of any wedge and it's fun trying something different.

That would be my choice.

I once won a 5 club with a net 70, off 5, and won the medal the following week with a net 70.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
That would be my choice.

I once won a 5 club with a net 70, off 5, and won the medal the following week with a net 70.

I've seen many a good score winning a 3 club comp. makes you wonder if a half a set would do. Can't remember the best score I had in winning 3 club comp. but I've definitely had worse scores with a full set