2024 Major Winner Predictions

Captain_Black.

Visit site
In the last few Majors, Rory always seems start very conservatively but have a good finish.
If he can get it together from the off, he will win another Major.

Masters - Rory
PGA - Sheffler
US Open - Hovland
The Open - Fleetwood

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
A bit of chill needed maybe
Despite the thread title, at best these are guesses or hopes and can be dismissed/supported with due weight

Predictions, they are not 😜

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the last few Majors, Rory always seems start very conservatively but have a good finish.
If he can get it together from the off, he will win another Major.

Masters - Rory
PGA - Sheffler
US Open - Hovland
The Open - Fleetwood
I can see him winning the PGA again or something like that, but not the Masters. The hype and build-up every year is too intense now. Only way he wins that is if he kind of does a Tiger and wins it at age 45 when everybody has written him off. (Ignoring the fact Tiger already had 4 of them obviously.)

D

Deleted member 1147

I can see him winning the PGA again or something like that, but not the Masters. The hype and build-up every year is too intense now. Only way he wins that is if he kind of does a Tiger and wins it at age 45 when everybody has written him off. (Ignoring the fact Tiger already had 4 of them obviously.)
As reigning champion of the PGA at Valhalla, he may have a chance this year of retaining

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
I think the 4 winners of the majors this year will be Rory, Big Vik, Rahm & Cam Young

Not sure who will win what, but all have a very good chance 👍

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He'll just have to live with 4 he already has

Which is a heck of an achievement, just what's very telling about majors is when he last won one brooks had zero and he now has 5, it's incredible Rory hasn't won one for that many years but he is still one of the best golfers on the planet. Just outside 4 weeks a season

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I think you could genuinely pick a couple of dozen or more names for each Major this year...write the names on bits of paper, chuck 'em in the air, randomly pick 4 and still find out you didn't write any of the winners down in the first place.

D

Deleted member 1147

Which is a heck of an achievement, just what's very telling about majors is when he last won one brooks had zero and he now has 5, it's incredible Rory hasn't won one for that many years but he is still one of the best golfers on the planet. Just outside 4 weeks a season
He has had at least one top 10 in each of the last 15 seasons, several of them being more than one top 10.
So he's still been one of the best, but without always win.

I think one of Rory's problems with perception is that he is talked about amongst the very best ever, so we expect Tiger, Jack, Hogan etc levels of wins. But very few achieve such things and even those who are considered greats of their eras struggle in comparison to the very very best. Vijay has 3, Stewart 3, Els 4, Floyd 4, Irwin 3, you could say that 6 isn't enough for Mickleson such is his longevity and career wins etc. Koepka on the other hand has been a phenomenon.
Also, most do it over a short period and then struggle - Watson has 8 majors over an 8 year span, Palmer had 7 over 6 years, Rory's 4 cover 3 years, Ernie won 3 in quickish succession and then waited 10 years for no 4.

...and as for being bottler/choker, Nick Faldo was known as Nick "Foldo" in the US in his early majors, as he couldn't get over the line.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think you could genuinely pick a couple of dozen or more names for each Major this year...write the names on bits of paper, chuck 'em in the air, randomly pick 4 and still find out you didn't write any of the winners down in the first place.
Such is the strength and depth of elite golf at the present.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He has had at least one top 10 in each of the last 15 seasons, several of them being more than one top 10.
So he's still been one of the best, but without always win.

I think one of Rory's problems with perception is that he is talked about amongst the very best ever, so we expect Tiger, Jack, Hogan etc levels of wins. But very few achieve such things and even those who are considered greats of their eras struggle in comparison to the very very best. Vijay has 3, Stewart 3, Els 4, Floyd 4, Irwin 3, you could say that 6 isn't enough for Mickleson such is his longevity and career wins etc. Koepka on the other hand has been a phenomenon.
Also, most do it over a short period and then struggle - Watson has 8 majors over an 8 year span, Palmer had 7 over 6 years, Rory's 4 cover 3 years, Ernie won 3 in quickish succession and then waited 10 years for no 4.

...and as for being bottler/choker, Nick Faldo was known as Nick "Foldo" in the US in his early majors, as he couldn't get over the line.

I think what is most frustrating about Rory is he normally has one round where he has put himself out of it so the last round he can go for it. Be proper aggressive and he fires himself up the field as he has nothing to lose. Then the fans are like wow what a round from Rory there he will definitely win a major next time .. and the process starts again

DTChick

Visit site
If anyone wants to back up their predications for a chance to win some money, I'm running a fundraiser as part of my year as Lady Captain to raise funds for the cancer services department for my local hospital trust that my husband is currently undergoing treatment with.

Details in this thread https://forums.golfmonthly.com/thre...-predict-who-will-win-the-2024-majors.116181/

Disclaimer - Yes I have included the Players for the men but that was just to match the 5 majors for the women :)

D

Deleted member 1147

I think what is most frustrating about Rory is he normally has one round where he has put himself out of it so the last round he can go for it. Be proper aggressive and he fires himself up the field as he has nothing to lose. Then the fans are like wow what a round from Rory there he will definitely win a major next time .. and the process starts again
and equally, just like most of the field, he has bad rounds. But with him people just go on about him being a bottler. Rather than acknowledging how good he is.