2023 Rules with change notes

Steven Rules

Visit site
Anyone found this “See Committee Procedures, Section 8; Model Local Rule L-2 (making player responsible for handicap on scorecard).”
Under the new rule the player is not responsible for showing handicap on their returned scorecard (committee responsible for calculating the player's handicap strokes for the competition and using that handicap to calculate the player's net score). But MLR L-2 can be used to put responsibility back on the player.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Under the new rule the player is not responsible for showing handicap on their returned scorecard (committee responsible for calculating the player's handicap strokes for the competition and using that handicap to calculate the player's net score). But MLR L-2 can be used to put responsibility back on the player.
Yep, got that but I am trying to find MLR L-2 to see the wording.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
The link which Rulefan gave us is to the Rules of Golf edition which does not include Clarifications or Committee Procedures and so you won't find the MLR in it. The comprehensive publication is the Official Guide to the Rules of Golf but I'm away from home at the moment and don't have the Guide with me to quote from at the moment.

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The link which Rulefan gave us is to the Rules of Golf edition which does not include Clarifications or Committee Procedures and so you won't find the MLR in it. The comprehensive publication is the Official Guide to the Rules of Golf but I'm away from home at the moment and don't have the Guide with me to quote from at the moment.
Cheers will keep searching as I haven’t found it anywhere at the moment.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Cheers will keep searching as I haven’t found it anywhere at the moment.

Just a guess but as the 2019 Official Guide isn't online as such, we might have to wait until the online app which does include everything is replaced by the new version.
Wrong!

Last edited:

LizAig

Visit site
Interesting that a player no longer needs to put their handicap on their card - if a club makes a local rule that players still have to put their handicap on their card would it then be a disqualification if they didn’t?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interesting that a player no longer needs to put their handicap on their card - if a club makes a local rule that players still have to put their handicap on their card would it then be a disqualification if they didn’t?
Depending what the local rule wording is then it could be a disqualification which is why I’d like to sort this soonest as I am updating our Comp terms and conditions.

YandaB

Visit site
Depending what the local rule wording is then it could be a disqualification which is why I’d like to sort this soonest as I am updating our Comp terms and conditions.
Can I ask why you feel it would be necessary to have this rule in place? Is it for all comps or just a specific one?

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
Can I ask why you feel it would be necessary to have this rule in place? Is it for all comps or just a specific one?
I don’t make the decision, I supply the facts and what could be used and make a recommendation, the main committee would make the final decision I’m not fussed if people don’t sign cards but it could cause some agro if you play comps around the county if some have the rule and some don’t.

Swango1980

Visit site
I don’t make the decision, I supply the facts and what could be used and make a recommendation, the main committee would make the final decision I’m not fussed if people don’t sign cards but it could cause some agro if you play comps around the county if some have the rule and some don’t.
I'm pretty sure they'd still need to sign their cards? :)

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just a guess but as the 2019 Official Guide isn't online as such, we might have to wait until the online app which does include everything is replaced by the new version.
Wrong!

I've found https://www.usga.org/rules/rules-an...ions.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=1. but I'm probably way behind as I think it has been cited earlier in this thread.

Anyway, the answer to Old SKier's question about the local rule to require handicaps on scorecards is MLR 8L-2. The clear implication is that it should only be used where there isn't access to electronic systems. This is it in full.

L-2 Making Player Responsible for Handicap or Scorecard
Purpose. Rule 3.3b(4) states that there is no requirement for a player’s handicap to be shown on the scorecard and that it is the Committee’s responsibility to calculate the player’s handicap strokes for the competition in order to calculate the player’s net score.

But in some circumstances, it can be difficult for the Committee to calculate players’ handicaps, for example, where the Committee does not have a computer system to help with the administration of the competition or where they do not have access to a database of player handicaps.

In such situations, the Committee may choose to modify Rule 3.3b(4) to require players to show their handicap on the scorecard. Depending on the handicap system operating in the local jurisdiction, the Committee may need to specify which handicap must be shown on the scorecard.

Model Local Rule L-2
Rule 3.3b(4) is modified in this way:

The player is responsible for showing their handicap [specify what handicap is to be shown, for example, handicap index, course handicap, playing handicap] on the scorecard.

Once the Committee receives the scorecard from the player at the end of their round, the Committee is responsible for:
  • Adding up the player's score, and
  • Applying the player's handicap strokes to calculate the player's net score
If the player returns a scorecard without the right handicap:
  • Handicap on Scorecard Too High or No Handicap Shown. If this affects the number of strokes the player gets, the player is disqualifiedfrom the handicap competition. If it does not, there is no penalty.
  • Handicap on Scorecard Too Low. There is no penalty and the player's net score stands using the lower handicap as shown."

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I've found https://www.usga.org/rules/rules-an...ions.html#!ruletype=fr&section=rule&rulenum=1. but I'm probably way behind as I think it has been cited earlier in this thread.

Anyway, the answer to Old SKier's question about the local rule to require handicaps on scorecards is MLR 8L-2. The clear implication is that it should only be used where there isn't access to electronic systems. This is it in full.

L-2 Making Player Responsible for Handicap or Scorecard

But in some circumstances, it can be difficult for the Committee to calculate players’ handicaps, for example, where the Committee does not have a computer system to help with the administration of the competition or where they do not have access to a database of player handicaps.

I would agree. There are times when scores are handled manually where I play but they are rare occasions, normally in team games such as yellow ball.