2022 Professional golf thread

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
It will find the luckiest player playing whats in front of them. There is too much of a random element in this course, where the problem presented from a small mistake has a wide range of difficulty, for effectively the same level of error. It is not finding, and will not find, the best golfer this week. A good course has its penalising element generally proportional to the magnitude of the mistake. That finds the best golfer.

D

Deleted member 1147

It will find the luckiest player playing whats in front of them. There is too much of a random element in this course, where the problem presented from a small mistake has a wide range of difficulty, for effectively the same level of error. It is not finding, and will not find, the best golfer this week. A good course has its penalising element generally proportional to the magnitude of the mistake. That finds the best golfer.
Hit fairways and greens, no need for luck.
Dahman was joint leader after 2 rounds. He hit the most fairways and greens.
Simple.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hit fairways and greens, no need for luck.
Dahman was joint leader after 2 rounds. He hit the most fairways and greens.
Simple.
It isnt that simple, and just hit fairways and greens is too idealised. Players will miss. All of them. And very often on this course. And when they are walking up to a spin-the-roulette-wheel difficult of the shortgame shot presented to them, and playing a shot that is as much hit and hope, not one they are used and skilled at playing, we see a random rather than skill rewarding, result. Taking it to the absurd, you could have all bunkers so deep it is truly impossible to get out of them. It wouldnt be a defence of the courses merits to just say - dont hit it into a bunker. This courses faults are of course more subtle than that. But it is a bad weakness.Todays winner will be a US Open champion no question. But a major should be finding the most worthy winner playing the highest level of golf over 4 days. This one it too much, play your best golf - but spin the lotto wheel as well.

D

Deleted member 1147

It isnt that simple, and just hit fairways and greens is too idealised. Players will miss. All of them. And very often on this course. And when they are walking up to a spin-the-roulette-wheel difficult of the shortgame shot presented to them, and playing a shot that is as much hit and hope, not one they are used and skilled at playing, we see a random rather than skill rewarding, result. Taking it to the absurd, you could have all bunkers so deep it is truly impossible to get out of them. It wouldnt be a defence of the courses merits to just say - dont hit it into a bunker. This courses faults are of course more subtle than that. But it is a bad weakness.Todays winner will be a US Open champion no question. But a major should be finding the most worthy winner playing the highest level of golf over 4 days. This one it too much, play your best golf - but spin the lotto wheel as well.
So you don’t think the Open finds the player who plays to the highest level over 4 days?
After all, Links golf gives all sorts of unfair bounces!

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
So you don’t think the Open finds the player who plays to the highest level over 4 days?
After all, Links golf gives all sorts of unfair bounces!
I think it does find the best player. Links golf is homogenious within itself. There is a skill and range of shot type and shotmaking that is established since centuries to play it. And the bounces, while unpredictable to some degree balance out much better for and against all players. The problem with this US O0en setup is a penalty variation that is too steep, and demanding hit-and-hope shots of players to a level that they cannot control.

D

Deleted member 1147

I think it does find the best player.
Just the US Open - fewest shots hit as a result of playing the best golf.
Hit fairways, hit greens & hole putts.
And if you don’t do the former, learn how to get up & down.
That’s the aim of golf.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Exactly. My point is that. Getting up amd down there is as much luck, as skill. There is always a luck element in golf. But that setup tilts the balance further away from skill.
In no universe is having a sheer step of grass a foot off a green a fair design feature, either to test golfing skill, or to find a worthy major champion

D

Deleted member 1147

Exactly. My point is that. Getting up amd down there is as much luck, as skill. There is always a luck element in golf. But that setup tilts the balance further away from skill.
In no universe is having a sheer step of grass a foot off a green a fair design feature, either to test golfing skill, or to find a worthy major champion
Yeah, ‘cause you don’t have long rough near greens on links courses do you!
I must advise Aberdovey they had it wrong when I was there the other week.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
For all my 'criticism' of other aspects, I think this is one that IS fair. The players can see the danger and make a decision as to whether to take that run-off on or not. If they do and get it wrong, they've only got themselves to blame - even if the pin is relatively close to that slope. There's probably as many shots lost by the '2nd rank' players from poor decisions as from poor execution, though some of those could well be when trying to 'force' their play to catch leaders.