2022 Professional golf thread

rksquire

Head Pro
Visit site
Who knew the extra motivation McIlroy needed was a rebel tour and a rivalry with a 67 year old Aussie!

The golf, the crowd and the fact he won makes it an excellent event; slightly unfortunate in my view that -10, -8s, -6s etc. were so achievable on the final day of a 'prestigious' event but possibly that meant for a more entertaining finish.

If it gives him the extra impetus he needs I'm all for it, I'm just slightly surprised one of the first things that pops into his head is taking a pop at Norman - LIVing rent free in Rory's head? But if it fires him up, great!

Up to 3rd in the world, he's still the poster boy for the Tour (sorry Scottie Schuffler!), so they'll all be hoping he brings that wedge game to the US Open - especially when there will 'others' in attendance.

What price Rory & Thomas battling it out with BDC and DJ come Sunday - that's a win for everyone!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Who knew the extra motivation McIlroy needed was a rebel tour and a rivalry with a 67 year old Aussie!

The golf, the crowd and the fact he won makes it an excellent event; slightly unfortunate in my view that -10, -8s, -6s etc. were so achievable on the final day of a 'prestigious' event but possibly that meant for a more entertaining finish.

If it gives him the extra impetus he needs I'm all for it, I'm just slightly surprised one of the first things that pops into his head is taking a pop at Norman - LIVing rent free in Rory's head? But if it fires him up, great!

Up to 3rd in the world, he's still the poster boy for the Tour (sorry Scottie Schuffler!), so they'll all be hoping he brings that wedge game to the US Open - especially when there will 'others' in attendance.

What price Rory & Thomas battling it out with BDC and DJ come Sunday - that's a win for everyone!

Rory is the lapdog of the PGA tour, has been for years

If DJ , reed , Phil or bryson finish above him at the usopen this will be another foot in mouth moment

Much like his "the fairways are so wide" moment

Just focus on your golf.. tones of ability ..

D

Deleted member 15344

If DJ , reed , Phil or bryson finish above him at the usopen this will be another foot in mouth moment

?‍♂️

Getting a bit silly now isn’t it

Swango1980

Visit site

Perhaps they set it up to make it easier for players to get birdies, knowing that the US Open is next week. Traditionally, the US Open is set up extremely tough, so they maybe wanted to have a bit of contrast of players scoring well one week, and then really having to battle it out next week.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

If that would be a foot in the mouth moment for Rory. What do you consider the performance of the “big” LIV stars to have been at the weekend?

I’ll be suprised if any of them make the cut.
Shall we make this interesting? I’ll give £5 to a charity of your choice for each one of four you mention that makes the cut at the US open. And an additional £5 for each one that finishes above Rory.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
What a load of crap about Rory. He supports the PGA Tour, unlike some of the other ingrates, and it has made him and most of the others very wealthy. He is nobody’s lapdog.

Greg Norman has always had a massive chip on his shoulder that he wasn’t given the respect he thought he deserved. But he was given the respect he earned.

If some of those players beat Rory next week, so what. I doubt any of the LIV revels will win it.

Last edited:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If that would be a foot in the mouth moment for Rory. What do you consider the performance of the “big” LIV stars to have been at the weekend?

I’ll be suprised if any of them make the cut.
Shall we make this interesting? I’ll give £5 to a charity of your choice for each one of four you mention that makes the cut at the US open. And an additional £5 for each one that finishes above Rory.

Whilst that sounds fantastic.. what's the reverse bet?

Swango1980

Visit site

Pretty much anybody could beat anybody on any given week. DJ, Reed, Phil and Bryson have all showed they are top players in the past, and are still likely to have great performances in the future, some longer terms than others. If they beat Rory next week, it really means nothing. Just like if someone like Ryan Palmer, Robert MacIntyre or Matt Kucher finished above Rory (no idea if they are playing, just picked some random names from further down the world rankings list).

In general, Rory McIlroy might be considered the most popular golfers on the planet. His natural ability sets him apart from most, but he also seems to get less hate than other top players like Bryson. He is almost in a position that, if Justin Thomas, DJ or Spieth were coming down the stretch in contention to win a Major, the US fans would still have a soft spot for Rory if he was also in contention. There are probably few non-US players that would earn the same level of respect.

What I would find interesting would be if Rory and DJ, Bryson or Phil were going head to head next Sunday for the US Open. How would the US fans behave, many of whom I am sure are supporters of the PGA Tour. Would many of them be fully behind Rory, and actually actively jeer the US LIV players?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pretty much anybody could beat anybody on any given week. DJ, Reed, Phil and Bryson have all showed they are top players in the past, and are still likely to have great performances in the future, some longer terms than others. If they beat Rory next week, it really means nothing. Just like if someone like Ryan Palmer, Robert MacIntyre or Matt Kucher finished above Rory (no idea if they are playing, just picked some random names from further down the world rankings list).

In general, Rory McIlroy might be considered the most popular golfers on the planet. His natural ability sets him apart from most, but he also seems to get less hate than other top players like Bryson. He is almost in a position that, if Justin Thomas, DJ or Spieth were coming down the stretch in contention to win a Major, the US fans would still have a soft spot for Rory if he was also in contention. There are probably few non-US players that would earn the same level of respect.

What I would find interesting would be if Rory and DJ, Bryson or Phil were going head to head next Sunday for the US Open. How would the US fans behave, many of whom I am sure are supporters of the PGA Tour. Would many of them be fully behind Rory, and actually actively jeer the US LIV players?

Isn't it mainly over here the outrage compared? I'm not sure the Americans care much about it all they will still watch

Swango1980

Visit site
Isn't it mainly over here the outrage compared? I'm not sure the Americans care much about it all they will still watch
No idea what the US reception is. You hear US pundits / commentators being critical. Yes, they are loyal to the PGA, but surely they still have influence over the US fans?

However, you won't hear negativity from fans attending the LIV events, given that they went to the effort of going there. However, we will probably get a really good idea when LIV players play in a non-LIV event, and what sort of reaction fans give them.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
No idea what the US reception is. You hear US pundits / commentators being critical. Yes, they are loyal to the PGA, but surely they still have influence over the US fans?

However, you won't hear negativity from fans attending the LIV events, given that they went to the effort of going there. However, we will probably get a really good idea when LIV players play in a non-LIV event, and what sort of reaction fans give them.
Thursday has the potential to quite...lively shall we say....

D

Deleted member 3432

Of more interest is the fact Grayson Murray and Kevin Na have lockers next to each other.

There could be some fireworks with this one given their history....