2022 Professional golf thread

Swango1980

Visit site
Rory will be doing a dvd on his wedge play.
What a transformation.
His driver needs work though:(
Not a lot of work, his driving was pretty phenomenal. On Saturday they were actually pointing out how his wedges were letting him down, but his driving was sublime. OK, he had a couple of poor drives today on back 9. Thankfully he sorted his wedges out. Just a pity he missed a couple of short putts to put pressure on, as he looked like he would breeze to a win. Maybe he just wanted a grandstand finish to promote the PGA Tour.

Privately, Greg Norman probably wanted some unknown to win the Canadian Open, not one of the world's most popular golfers

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not a lot of work, his driving was pretty phenomenal. On Saturday they were actually pointing out how his wedges were letting him down, but his driving was sublime. OK, he had a couple of poor drives today on back 9. Thankfully he sorted his wedges out. Just a pity he missed a couple of short putts to put pressure on, as he looked like he would breeze to a win. Maybe he just wanted a grandstand finish to promote the PGA Tour.

Privately, Greg Norman probably wanted some unknown to win the Canadian Open, not one of the world's most popular golfers
Yes it’s a very rare day all parts work.
It’s nice to know they are human.
But he showed great calm to sort it all out and win.

Norman has always had a lot to say but not as many people listen now.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
.....His driver needs work though:(

Was nice that I can compare my driving to a tour pro "my drive's are just like Mcilroy's" :LOL: at least for a couple of drives:ROFLMAO:.

Didn't see much else wrong with his driving though, especially not the one taking on that 365 yarder. I'm always on his case when he hits a bad shot, because I just expect him to be bloody good all the time. I keep being reminded that he's not a robot. I only saw from the 8th yesterday, but aside from a couple of drives, and a couple of short putts he was pretty imperious. Some of those wedge shots were just insane, coupled with a holing some long putts, it was a fabulous exhibition of golf. Thomas fought hard too and didn't make it easy for him. Thoroughly enjoyed watching that, and a win too, with a "new" caddy......... :unsure:opens can of worms...:sneaky::LOL:

Swango1980

Visit site
Was nice that I can compare my driving to a tour pro "my drive's are just like Mcilroy's" :LOL: at least for a couple of drives:ROFLMAO:.

Didn't see much else wrong with his driving though, especially not the one taking on that 365 yarder. I'm always on his case when he hits a bad shot, because I just expect him to be bloody good all the time. I keep being reminded that he's not a robot. I only saw from the 8th yesterday, but aside from a couple of drives, and a couple of short putts he was pretty imperious. Some of those wedge shots were just insane, coupled with a holing some long putts, it was a fabulous exhibition of golf. Thomas fought hard too and didn't make it easy for him. Thoroughly enjoyed watching that, and a win too, with a "new" caddy......... :unsure:opens can of worms...:sneaky::LOL:
Sometimes it is hard to appreciate just how far he hits the ball. It is impressive when you play a par 5 or long par 4 at your own course and compare where your drive would end up, with a drive that is 350 yards plus. I know he has the advantage of putting his full 5ft 9 frame behind the ball :)

I also am impressed with the likes of Finau and Rahm. Although not quite as long as Rory, still bloomin far with such short backswings. Would love to be able to generate decent club head speed from such a short backswing.

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Anyone else get the feeling the PGA tour saw an opportunity to put the pins in some straightforward places and grab some headlines. Might be going to plan..............

The old cynic in me agrees with this. They also probably got the winner they were after as he generates the most clickbait. Having said that, well done McIlroy.

D

Deleted member 1147

I don't want to rain on your parade, but those two really poor drives, went 262 & 299.
Oh to miss hit drives that far ;)

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
The old cynic in me agrees with this. They also probably got the winner they were after as he generates the most clickbait. Having said that, well done McIlroy.
Probably, but goodness me that was one of the best "standard" tournies in a long time, on the back of the mixed event in Sweden being won by a woman, it's fair put LIV in the shade.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
It was a great watch last night. JT must be sick, gets level with a very nervy Rory, then blows it with a couple of awful shots.

Some performance from Rose as well, just a shame he didn't get to break 60.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
It was a great watch last night. JT must be sick, gets level with a very nervy Rory, then blows it with a couple of awful shots.

Some performance from Rose as well, just a shame he didn't get to break 60.

Yeah nerves got to JT once he was in a position to win and tbf to Rory he put his foot straight back on his throat with the approach on 17

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't want to rain on your parade, but those two really poor drives, went 262 & 299.
Oh to miss hit drives that far ;)

I hit one about as pure as I could yesterday, even went past the end of the rope measuring a straightest drive comp. Got to the ball and used the "last shot" function on my shot scope and it was 288 yards. Just a different league.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It was a bit tounge in cheek!
But he did hit some very poor drives late on when the chips are down!
He got away with them, but it could have been very different, that’s all I was pointing out.