2021 Professional Golf Thread

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
When you are dumping it where they were with a wedge I'm not sure id agree with it being not too difficult to make 4.

Think it was 6 times down 18 & twice down 17. I thought I heard something in the commentary about keeping the spectators around 18 rather than having them shuttle between 17 & 18?

they never hit more than wedge in in the play off to 18, if they wanted to hit it 25 feet behind the hole (and take the front bunker out) it was a pretty straightforward par, albeit thats not how it played out some of the times!

shouldve gone to the 15th after a couple of goes :)

D

Deleted member 15344

Just put on SKY and curious as to why they are showing PGA featured groups from Rocket Mortgage rather than the Irish Open on SKY Sports Golf? Anyone know?

Because it appears the Sky coverage is only focused on McIlroy

Yesterday there was no coverage in the morning but when he went out it came on - he played this morning and they had coverage , now there is none until 5

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Very frustrating - who's going to watch golf at 5pm on a Friday. Finally catching up on the final of The Amateur - Scowsill just gone seven up

SatchFan

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Just put on SKY and curious as to why they are showing PGA featured groups from Rocket Mortgage rather than the Irish Open on SKY Sports Golf? Anyone know?

Sky Sports does seem to have a bit of a McIlroy obsession. Add to that Paul McGinley's constant brown nosing of Rory and it makes it a bit of a hard watch. Maybe it's a straightforward commercial reason. They assume more people will tune in just to watch Rory and can make a lot more money from their multiple ad breaks.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Kurt Kitayama is reminding me of me this morning.
Nine over after four, including a par at the first followed by a double, a triple and then a quadruple bogey.
Glad he's not in my fantasy team!

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Here we go again for another play off, 3 ways, lets hope its quicker than last weeks!

Niemann "only" made it into the play off, despite not making a bogey in the 72 holes!!!!!!

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Cam Davis has a touch of the Thomas Pieters in his swing - I’d really like to go to bed but am stuck in front of another Sunday play-off

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Just been catching up with the Irish Open, do like Herbert a lot. He was in tatters for half a dozen holes and closed it out brilliantly.

sunshine

Visit site
Yes it was Jack; doing it in a similar way to the way Salas does. And neither of them apparently losing any ground.

I followed Salas round Woburn in the final round of the British Open a couple of years ago. She was horrendously slow, lost 2 clear holes on the group in front. Granted, she had a lot to play for, but at the time I felt her slow play bordered on unsportsmanlike behaviour, almost as if she was deliberately slowing down the pace to put off her playing partner and the leaders who were being held up behind her.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
I followed Salas round Woburn in the final round of the British Open a couple of years ago. She was horrendously slow, lost 2 clear holes on the group in front. Granted, she had a lot to play for, but at the time I felt her slow play bordered on unsportsmanlike behaviour, almost as if she was deliberately slowing down the pace to put off her playing partner and the leaders who were being held up behind her.

If she'd lost ground I'd fully agree that she should be sanctioned, but according to the other post I quoted she didn't. If she's keeping up with play then I don't have an issue with her taking time over her shot.

sunshine

Visit site
If she'd lost ground I'd fully agree that she should be sanctioned, but according to the other post I quoted she didn't. If she's keeping up with play then I don't have an issue with her taking time over her shot.

I was referring to the British Open in 2019 not the recent tournament.

Didn't see her last week (y)

sunshine

Visit site
Not hugely high profile, but there is a Women's Team event starting tomorrow which features some big names like Lexi Thompson, Georgia Hall, Charley Hull (I'm guessing the Saudis are coughing up big appearance fees). Not sure where I stand on sports washing when it's outside the country, but I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt at the moment.

An unusual format (includes an amateur in each group), but I like the fact they are trying to shake things up. It's at Centurion in Hertfordshire.

Any thoughts?