2021 Professional Golf Thread

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
Just seen Martin Kaymer asking for a ruling because it seems his ball was on the edge of 1st and 2nd cut near a green. It was refused.
( Hole 13? of the final round in BMW )
Does anyone know what and why he felt able to do that? Seemed to me to be an "as you lie " situation?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just seen Martin Kaymer asking for a ruling because it seems his ball was on the edge of 1st and 2nd cut near a green. It was refused.
( Hole 13? of the final round in BMW )
Does anyone know what and why he felt able to do that? Seemed to me to be an "as you lie " situation?
I thought I saw sprinkler heads close by..maybe that was the reason..

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Good to see Hovland win, must help give a feeling of more strength to the RC team and seems a decent guy.

Nelly for the Women's PGA Championship seems to be playing a very controlled final round even with a few fairway bunkers (hopefully no jynx). Think she'll be a deserved number one, and hopefully boost the US game given they like a consistent US player contending. Slight dig but also refreshing to see her pace of play compared with Salas.

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Good to see Hovland win, must help give a feeling of more strength to the RC team and seems a decent guy.

Nelly for the Women's PGA Championship seems to be playing a very controlled final round even with a few fairway bunkers (hopefully no jynx). Think she'll be a deserved number one, and hopefully boost the US game given they like a consistent US player contending. Slight dig but also refreshing to see her pace of play compared with Salas.

That was discussed last night with Trish Johnson, who pointed out that as slow as her pre-shot routine may be, she walks quickly between them so isn't actually slow.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
That was discussed last night with Trish Johnson, who pointed out that as slow as her pre-shot routine may be, she walks quickly between them so isn't actually slow.

Perhaps which is at least good awareness from her, I think there is also a challenge on number of cameras with LPGA so they don't cut away as much when going through their routines to other players. Even more so with two players gapping the field.

Still think it should be acted on though as playing partner is waiting decent amounts of time on shots and there hasn't been anything massively out of the ordinary e.g. bad lies, rules query etc. Interesting that Nelly is continuing with her game lining up putts etc at the same time as Salas which feels fair enough.

Who knows how slow i'd get when playing for a big tournament win though, you see if with groups playing a "friendly RC Format" on holiday.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
That really doesn't hold water does it? If she was playing on her own then you could possibly stretch to half go with it. Playing with others though she could run to her ball but that's pointless if she is second to play.

It's a problem, it needs to be dealt with or people won't engage with the game and watch. Same applies to plenty in the men's game.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Perhaps which is at least good awareness from her, I think there is also a challenge on number of cameras with LPGA so they don't cut away as much when going through their routines to other players. Even more so with two players gapping the field.

Still think it should be acted on though as playing partner is waiting decent amounts of time on shots and there hasn't been anything massively out of the ordinary e.g. bad lies, rules query etc. Interesting that Nelly is continuing with her game lining up putts etc at the same time as Salas which feels fair enough.

Who knows how slow i'd get when playing for a big tournament win though, you see if with groups playing a "friendly RC Format" on holiday.

Isn't that what every golfer should do if they can do so without disrupting their paying partners?

That really doesn't hold water does it? If she was playing on her own then you could possibly stretch to half go with it. Playing with others though she could run to her ball but that's pointless if she is second to play.

It's a problem, it needs to be dealt with or people won't engage with the game and watch. Same applies to plenty in the men's game.

"I am sometimes accused of being a slow player. Well the truth is that I walk very fast up to the ball, make a fairly fast decision about what I want to do when I get there, but then sometimes set up to the shot slowly. There are some good reasons for my being so methodical about my set up. I think it is the single most important maneuver [sic] in golf. It is the only aspect of the swing over which you have 100 percent conscious control. If you set up correctly there's a good chance you'll hit a reasonable shot, even if you make a mediocre swing. If you set up incorrectly, you'll hit a lousy shot even if you make the greatest swing in the world."

If it was good enough for him, it's good enough for me; care to name him?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Isn't that what every golfer should do if they can do so without disrupting their paying partners?

"I am sometimes accused of being a slow player. Well the truth is that I walk very fast up to the ball, make a fairly fast decision about what I want to do when I get there, but then sometimes set up to the shot slowly. There are some good reasons for my being so methodical about my set up. I think it is the single most important maneuver [sic] in golf. It is the only aspect of the swing over which you have 100 percent conscious control. If you set up correctly there's a good chance you'll hit a reasonable shot, even if you make a mediocre swing. If you set up incorrectly, you'll hit a lousy shot even if you make the greatest swing in the world."

Jack?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

It all depends how long that person actually took and the impact that might have over others. I'm assuming it was Jack but I don't remember slow play being called out in his era so he couldn't have been too slow.

Tiger Woods is glacial on the putting surface so he wouldn't escape criticism.

Being a great name in the game doesn't give a free pass for everything.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Agreed on sorting putts at the same time and expect it to happen in amateur game. It just seemed more striking yesterday when both were basically stood at the same point sorting their own putts as they walked around.

On the quick walking, it does obviously help and i'd have less issue for amateurs if they do that. But for LPGA their policy is that a player is subject to a penalty if they exceed the allotted time for total shots taken on a hole by more than 10 seconds (allotted time being an average of 30 seconds). Given you often finish with a tap in which will take minimal amount of time this should be manageable.

Salas was not even close on most holes to this but because they hadn't lost ground on the group in front it isn't applied. I just find that inconsistent and rule could be changed to review and give an individual a warning on first event and then penalise no matter where the group is compared with the other one. Fassi for example got a penalty but seemed frustrated that the original slow play was playing partners (don't know if that's true) which made them lose position and then she got stung as then got it wrong when on the clock.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Agreed on sorting putts at the same time and expect it to happen in amateur game. It just seemed more striking yesterday when both were basically stood at the same point sorting their own putts as they walked around.

On the quick walking, it does obviously help and i'd have less issue for amateurs if they do that. But for LPGA their policy is that a player is subject to a penalty if they exceed the allotted time for total shots taken on a hole by more than 10 seconds (allotted time being an average of 30 seconds). Given you often finish with a tap in which will take minimal amount of time this should be manageable.

Salas was not even close on most holes to this but because they hadn't lost ground on the group in front it isn't applied. I just find that inconsistent and rule could be changed to review and give an individual a warning on first event and then penalise no matter where the group is compared with the other one. Fassi for example got a penalty but seemed frustrated that the original slow play was playing partners (don't know if that's true) which made them lose position and then she got stung as then got it wrong when on the clock.

Thanks for the clarification of the policy, wasn't aware it was 30 seconds or an average, however the bit in bold is the thing that is pertinent for me; if she is keeping up with the pace of play then how can it be considered slow play?

I understand & to a point agree with your frustrations (and Fassi's) but I think it reflects a poorly written rule; if you get one group where they are all taking 2 minutes a shot but are up the backsides of the group in front, how can you penalise them when another group is only taking 20 seconds a shot but is losing ground? I also think that there needs to be some recognition of the foibles of the game where you can have 17 holes where everything goes smoothly, 1 utter mare and it is that hole where you are on the clock & penalised. More rounds than not the speed of play, certainly for amateurs, will ebb & flow.

Swinglowandslow

Visit site
whoever thinks playing the same hole over and over again is the right option for a play off wants shooting!

From a TV point of view , yes. But they are clearly catering for the spectators encamped around the 18th.
(When it went to the 17th there was a scene from the film "Exodus"?)

Mostly they expect two or three holes at the outside. This went on for 7!!! Wasn't it?

Of course, the USA open used to have an 18 hole playoff. Not sure, has that changed?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
From a TV point of view , yes. But they are clearly catering for the spectators encamped around the 18th.
(When it went to the 17th there was a scene from the film "Exodus"?)

Mostly they expect two or three holes at the outside. This went on for 7!!! Wasn't it?

Of course, the USA open used to have an 18 hole playoff. Not sure, has that changed?

went 8 holes, 7 of them the 18th i think. They have to change it up sooner, the fans can move, not as if its at full capacity at the venue either! Problem was it was a drive and a wedge hole but downwind to a tightish pin, not too hard for them to make 4 but tough to make a 3

US Open is a 2 hole play off now isnt it

Blue in Munich

Visit site
It all depends how long that person actually took and the impact that might have over others. I'm assuming it was Jack but I don't remember slow play being called out in his era so he couldn't have been too slow.

Tiger Woods is glacial on the putting surface so he wouldn't escape criticism.

Being a great name in the game doesn't give a free pass for everything.

"Arnold Palmer made an official complaint about slow play at the US Open at Merion in 1971, apparently directed at me. The following day a number of groups were carefully observed & timed by United States Golf Association officials. Mine was faster than a lot of the others, including Arnold's, despite the fact that my group contained one of the two genuinely slowest golfers on tour!"

"Now, as unobtrusively as possible, I walk ahead to the region of my own ball to make my decisions while the others are playing their shots. As far as is possible I do the same thing on the putting greens. And, if you'd care to notice next time you're at a tournament, I also walk pretty darn fast on the golf course."

Yes it was Jack; doing it in a similar way to the way Salas does. And neither of them apparently losing any ground.

You don't need a free pass for slow play if you're keeping up.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
went 8 holes, 7 of them the 18th i think. They have to change it up sooner, the fans can move, not as if its at full capacity at the venue either! Problem was it was a drive and a wedge hole but downwind to a tightish pin, not too hard for them to make 4 but tough to make a 3

US Open is a 2 hole play off now isnt it

When you are dumping it where they were with a wedge I'm not sure id agree with it being not too difficult to make 4.

Think it was 6 times down 18 & twice down 17. I thought I heard something in the commentary about keeping the spectators around 18 rather than having them shuttle between 17 & 18?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
"Arnold Palmer made an official complaint about slow play at the US Open at Merion in 1971, apparently directed at me. The following day a number of groups were carefully observed & timed by United States Golf Association officials. Mine was faster than a lot of the others, including Arnold's, despite the fact that my group contained one of the two genuinely slowest golfers on tour!"

"Now, as unobtrusively as possible, I walk ahead to the region of my own ball to make my decisions while the others are playing their shots. As far as is possible I do the same thing on the putting greens. And, if you'd care to notice next time you're at a tournament, I also walk pretty darn fast on the golf course."

Yes it was Jack; doing it in a similar way to the way Salas does. And neither of them apparently losing any ground.

You don't need a free pass for slow play if you're keeping up.
I never saw Jack Nicklaus play so I genuinely don't know how quickly or not he played the game. It is not something I've heard before so I assume he is not in the same league as many of the current crop.

In terms of the original point somebody racing to their ball but then taking an age is awful tv and turns people off. Fine if you can cut away to others taking their shot but if it is the last day it is a killer. People stop watching. If the LPGA are happy to allow that then that is their decision (as the USPGA sadly are). Please don't complain though when people don't watch, sponsors don't come forward (that is a comment aimed at the Tour, not you)