2019 PGA Tour

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't want to be in a round of drinks with him. Tighter than a camels arse in a sandstorm by many accounts
Doesn't make someone a bad person though. Perhaps he just doesn't like those wanting the drinks with him
I am guessing this relates to ths issue about the caddies pay. He won a tournament at the end of last season and hired a local caddy, paid him $3k. However, he won that tournament and pocketed $1.3m. There is a discussion as to whether he should have paid the local caddy more as he won or whether he should stick to the deal agreed at the beginning. His regular caddy would have been on 10%, or similar, had he won with him on the bag.

It's perhaps a little more complicated but that is the gist of it. Social media is picking up on this story and running with it, good headline etc

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
I am guessing this relates to ths issue about the caddies pay. He won a tournament at the end of last season and hired a local caddy, paid him $3k. However, he won that tournament and pocketed $1.3m. There is a discussion as to whether he should have paid the local caddy more as he won or whether he should stick to the deal agreed at the beginning.

It's perhaps a little more complicated but that is the gist of it. Social media is picking up on this story and running with it, good headline etc

The rumours only build upon what has been said about him for years wrt keeping his wallet shut. 2nd only to Tiger in that regard.

Parsaregood

Head Pro
Visit site
Just sat here watching the golf and seen the list of players not making the cut, Spieth missing his first cut in his first start in new year not great but even more so was Adam Scott as one of the worse scores.

Still got all 4 of my fantasy team up in the top 10..
Spieth got married in November, he hasn't played a tournament since before then and from what I gather didn't touch a club for a while

Wolf

Visit site
I am guessing this relates to ths issue about the caddies pay. He won a tournament at the end of last season and hired a local caddy, paid him $3k. However, he won that tournament and pocketed $1.3m. There is a discussion as to whether he should have paid the local caddy more as he won or whether he should stick to the deal agreed at the beginning. His regular caddy would have been on 10%, or similar, had he won with him on the bag.

Can't say I'd heard that and if that's what they're basing it on can understand why it's a news item. But then there's the other argument the caddy could easily have had no work that weekend or a lesser job for a casual player and still came away 3k up for roughly 4/5 days work and he would have a contract with his regular caddy with regards to salary and win bonus.

Personally still don't see as it makes him a bad person just because he is tight with the cash, I know mnay people loose with their vast sums of money that are not nice people yet get lauded as being a lovely bloke because they let people live of their money.

I guess some will judge a frugal person as tight and not decent and others will see people that are extravagant with money as salt of the earth.

Spieth got married in November, he hasn't played a tournament since before then and from what I gather didn't touch a club for a while

Yeah I'd heard that he had stepped away from the clubs during that period and fair play, I'm personally hoping he can come back big this year I like Spieth and how he plays

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
Can't say I'd heard that and if that's what they're basing it on can understand why it's a news item. But then there's the other argument the caddy could easily have had no work that weekend or a lesser job for a casual player and still came away 3k up for roughly 4/5 days work and he would have a contract with his regular caddy with regards to salary and win bonus.

Personally still don't see as it makes him a bad person just because he is tight with the cash, I know mnay people loose with their vast sums of money that are not nice people yet get lauded as being a lovely bloke because they let people live of their money.

I guess some will judge a frugal person as tight and not decent and others will see people that are extravagant with money as salt of the earth.

I didn't say he was a bad person - I've never met him.

But to me, giving a winning caddy less than 0.25% of your winnings out of a purse in excess of $1m tells me a lot about someone. Especially when 5% would literally change said caddies life. He won by a shot, and you'd think a local caddie is worth a shot over 4 days! Kuchar has over $45m from on-course earnings, plus lucrative sponsorship deals. $3k is pathetic, regardless of whether a fee was agreed beforehand or not.

Don't buy into the rest of your 1st paragraph at all, we don't live in the hypothetical world.

Wolf

Visit site
I didn't say he was a bad person - I've never met him.

But to me, giving a winning caddy less than 0.25% of your winnings out of a purse in excess of $1m tells me a lot about someone. Especially when 5% would literally change said caddies life. He won by a shot, and you'd think a local caddie is worth a shot over 4 days! Kuchar has over $45m from on-course earnings, plus lucrative sponsorship deals. $3k is pathetic, regardless of whether a fee was agreed beforehand or not.

Don't buy into the rest of your 1st paragraph at all, we don't live in the hypothetical world.
Not asking you to buy into anything at its merely my opinion its easy to say it would change someone life as it would indeed but does that mean the caddy is entitled to more imo no he's not. Should he get more based on what these guys normally pay out is another matter and I'd agree that common courtesy would usually expect them to have a similar agreement with their temporary bag man as to what they have with a regular caddy. But still I'd say if you said to a local caddy you can make 3k this week regardless of the outcome they would snap it up without complaint. I know I would.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Being a fair distance from home for many players some of the golfing community here get the chance to caddy on the european tour when it comes to town so I know a couple of lads who've done it, I'll need to remember to ask what their 'deal' was when I next see them...

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tiger due to play at this week's Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines. Will be interesting to see what sort of shape his game is in.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Great to watch Jordan Spieth when he’s like this absolute filth off the tee for 3 holes yet still under par
Haven't seen the coverage yet, but by all accounts the rough is pretty juicy this week. I suspect that if YJS keeps spraying it around, he'll end up a few over and with very sore wrists...
Looking forward to watching - lots of interesting early season stories about to unfold.

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
Haven't seen the coverage yet, but by all accounts the rough is pretty juicy this week. I suspect that if YJS keeps spraying it around, he'll end up a few over and with very sore wrists...
Looking forward to watching - lots of interesting early season stories about to unfold.

He’s struggling off the tee hasn’t hit a fairway (or green on the par 3)

Wolf

Visit site
Nice to see Spieth with a good round, John Rahm and Justin great rounds in the North course. Fowler all over the place in the south and Rory bombing the drives bemut remains inconsistent with the Wedges.

Certainly seems like the North course is a good 4 shots easier..

But all this is drowned out by Marc Bloody Row and his annoying noise that is his commentary

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Nice to see Spieth with a good round, John Rahm and Justin great rounds in the North course. Fowler all over the place in the south and Rory bombing the drives bemut remains inconsistent with the Wedges.

But all this is drowned out by Marc Bloody Row and his annoying noise that is his commentary

Lot's of concerns about Justin Rose switching manufacturers and going to Honma, well he was bombing his driver past his 2 playing partners. Although I notice he's changed his putter from that hideous thing he was using at his last event. Rahm just seems to love this place but agree the NC is a few shots easier.

Mark Row is without doubt the most annoying commentator on Sky!!

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site

Unreal round from Spieth considering he was all over the shop until the 6th

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Rose not over the line just yet. Gooch now just 3 back and Rose in some pretty juicy rough off the tee on 15.

Wolf

Visit site
I'd say it's been game over since round 2, even with his wobble yesterday he still remained in control throughout. A very comprehensive win