2018 targets and plans?

• Thread starter Deleted Member 1156
  • Start date
D

Deleted Member 1156

Time to start thinking about 2018 and what you have lined up or hope to achieve. What are your targets, which courses are you hoping to play, which competitions will you be entering?

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I would like to get to single figures, but I’m taking a “if it happens it happens” approach.

My primary objective is to play as much as possible and enjoy being out there.

I also want to try and play as many of the good courses near me as possible. My membership arrangement means I pay a green fee whenever I play, so although I will play as much competitive golf at my home club as possible, given I’m paying a green fee regardless I am trying to get out and play as many other courses as I can.

On my list for 2018:

Littlestone
Piltdown
Wildernesse
Addington
Mid Kent

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
No Targets as such. though i doubt i will play the club Champs next year as the dates are changing to 36 holes Sat/ Sunday in an effort to get more members to play, not just all the single digit players. only trouble is if you qualify it just means playing Sat and Sunday, then the Knockouts Mon/Wed/Friday evenings the same week.

The wife has got me a round at Turnberry Ailsa for Christmas, so will be playing there June/uly and will arrange a game at Western and a mate's BIL has just got in Troon so there on the same trip

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Same as every year - single figures but adding the hope to a year of better health than the last two years

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After shooting a pb 77 the other day not playing overly great, then I think getting down to 12 has to be a target.

however hitting 77 on an easy muni of the yellows which have been pushed well forward isn't the same as playing in a comp off the whites on a tougher course.

So, I'd take any kind of shot loss and just aim to keep getting better. Eliminating the hooked iron shot and improve the putting has to be the real target. Then hopefully the hc will look after itself

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
3 small targets in order,

1 - join a club
2 - get a handicap
3 - get said handicap down to at least 15

Figure I can get the first two done easy enough, so effort on 3, it'll need real work so a good target ��

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Breaking 100
Getting the handicap down to 24

Playing our 6 hole pitch & putt course in even par (so far my best round is 2 over)

Play as many comps as I can, especially qualifiers.
Travel to the UK again for more lessons.

Also I'd like to do a coaching trip in March/April to get the season started, but I don't like the offer from the golf school I used the last two years, so I haven't really commited to anything yet.

D

Deleted member 21258

Trying to get my handicap down form the current 9.2 to something in the 7s this year, just need better putting and chipping on my good rounds to do it(sounds so easy!).

First year I am going to purely focus on trying to reduce it, along with having loads of fun and play lots of new courses on opens, with the forum and the family. Really enjoy playing different courses.

But really hoping my son, continues improving and gets better than me, that would be the most satisfying thing for me, golf wise.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Looking to possibly move clubs at the start of 2018 so the goals I had set out have changed significantly.

1 - Play more comps - Only played 15 comp rounds this year. If I move club I hope to get in around 25 comps or more.
2 - Get handicap down to 14.7
3 - Play in 5 opens - Currently have in mind playing - Peebles, Longniddry, Kilspindie, The Woll and The glen.
4 - After breaking 85 in October, looking to do that more often.
5 - Have fun trying to achieve the above.

I have tried in the past to be more specific in my goals but then I find that I get too focused on the results of these that drag me down. So going simple this year and looking to just get out more playing, and hopefully the more I play the better I play.

nairn1967

Medal Winner
Visit site
A cut.......0.2 will do, I'm not greedy

Last year was 3.4 and down to 2.2 just going to try and keep the same game in the bag and creep down hopefully to 1.5.

Enter as many comps as possible and get as many away days as possible, Open comps are a great way of playing away from home and to test the handicap :thup:

Reemul

Head Pro
Visit site
Get an official handicap and get it below 18.

Had my first ever set of 6 lessons and they have gone really well just need some decent play time now.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
1. Get down into the 7s
2. Get called up for the B team to represent the club
3. Win a board comp

Ambitious but I saw signs it can be done last year when I got a run of play together, way too much travelling last year (both work and pleasure) but so far it's looking like a quieter year so going to try to gain some consistency through regular play, it's all about remembering how to score!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Stop staring the ball around the course and be a more aggressive putter........oh and get from 6.7 to 5.4

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Play as many of my missing top 100 courses as possible. Should hopefully get well over 50 played by end of next year.