2017 Open Championship

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
You said he'd fade away and be a journeyman
Gonna go find that quote like you did for Phil's are you?

Ive certainly been vocal about not liking him (as a golfer) and I still don't think he'll win the 10+ majors that most of you seem to do.

D

Deleted member 16999

Big shout to Alfie Plant and LI the guy who finished 3rd on 6 under, hell of a last day and at times looked like he might even get a chance of a play off. :)

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Big shout to Alfie Plant and LI the guy who finished 3rd on 6 under, hell of a last day and at times looked like he might even get a chance of a play off. :)
It's crazy to think 1 hour before Spieth went mental it actually looked like there was a chance he might get into a playoff isn't it! He ended up 6 shots back 😂😂

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site

Yes great achievement
Looked happy as a pig in shhhhh on that final green
Though he looked tiny standing next to Kuchar and Spieth

Also don't forget young Li the Chinese lad
It's been overlooked I feel
But he did shoot 63 today , until yesterday , the joint lowest round in major.....

TheDiablo

Challenge Tour Pro
Banned
Visit site
what 'predictions' have I made? I asked a question around total wins. His record is absolutely undeniable

You're right a high standard has been set. Remember last season when everyone asked what's wrong with Rory, and look how he finished season.

I don't think there's anything wrong with Rory at all - an improvement in his wedge play and not throwing in a car crash 9 holes in a major and he takes the field out IMO. Just not quite clicking at the mo but definitely nearer than some on here think.

Pretty sure earlier in the thread you were saying he wasn't winning this (at 36 hole point).

Apols if not you (I thought it was), but pretty sure one of the big threads last year there was some awful takes from one person (that wasnt trolling) about he isnt winning another major for years, will be outside of top 10 by mid 2017 and that he wont ever be Top 3 again. Just terrible predictions that I remembered because I rate him in the complete opposite fashion - if anything too much!

D

Deleted member 16999

It's crazy to think 1 hour before Spieth went mental it actually looked like there was a chance he might get into a playoff isn't it! He ended up 6 shots back 😂😂
Definitely, it's like Butch Harmon said, if some had said it would be won the way it was, they'd of been laughed at.

I get people having favourites, but I really don't understand people making bold claims about which of the world's current top golfers will or will not win events, I had put money on Koepka most weeks up until he won the Major, thought he'd do a Willett and fade away for a while, but he surprised me, he was in with a chance of making a run at it at times.

D

Deleted member 16999

Yes great achievement
Looked happy as a pig in shhhhh on that final green
Though he looked tiny standing next to Kuchar and Spieth

Also don't forget young Li the Chinese lad
It's been overlooked I feel
But he did shoot 63 today , until yesterday , the joint lowest round in major.....
LI's the one who finished 3rd :thup:

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think there's anything wrong with Rory at all - an improvement in his wedge play and not throwing in a car crash 9 holes in a major and he takes the field out IMO. Just not quite clicking at the mo but definitely nearer than some on here think.

Pretty sure earlier in the thread you were saying he wasn't winning this (at 36 hole point).

Apols if not you (I thought it was), but pretty sure one of the big threads last year there was some awful takes from one person (that wasnt trolling) about he isnt winning another major for years, will be outside of top 10 by mid 2017 and that he wont ever be Top 3 again. Just terrible predictions that I remembered because I rate him in the complete opposite fashion - if anything too much!

Yes I did say I didn't think he would win. Happy to admit that.

Not sure it was possible for him to fall out of top 10 mathematically, but he did get close about a month ago. If someone like Scott/rose etc had stepped up he'd have fallen.

Instead he's won twice and will be no2 again (I think)

D

Deleted member 16999

I didn't mean overlooked by you Paul
More in general
Nobody has mentioned him, nor was a lot made of his score on the coverage
Shame that's all
Ah sorry mate, I agree, that's why I mentioned him, we got caught up in the Spieth round, a lot of good golf and performances have been over looked.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
That was fantastic entertainment

Last year was so memorable for the sheer quality and I'll remember this one for the dramatic last half dozen holes (I don't believe you could have scripted that from imagination alone) could not take my eyes off it (& I hope they were cut down for you guys but not a single ad-break for the entire day!)

Spieth comes across as a superb ambassador and role model & Kucher a gentleman

As for the Rory V Jordan stuff well there really isn't a Rory V Jordan at the moment (Rory was only marginally more involved than Dustin or Jason Day was) and you cant say 'except for rorys opening holes' without giving every other player the right to write off half a dozen bad holes too. Its not even sensible schoolboy logic to suggest otherwise (where's the board hanging in your clubhouse that has the name of the guys who would've won club champs if it wasn't for their first three holes!)
I think Rory did way better than expected given the limitations in even his 'A' game, for this type of golf

The PGA has a lot to live up to next month

Last edited:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Class act for an American that speech

Not really sure what you are trying to imply here but I remember David Duval giving an amazing and very humbling speech after he won The Open Championship and Zach Johnson also have a tremendous account of himself when he won.

U

User62651

Moving on, looking forward to Carnoustie already, one of only 2 Open rota courses I've played, a great track with a brilliant finish, will have been 11 years since Padraig's great playoff win over Sergio and 19 since Van de Velde's antics / Lawrie's play off win. Time doesn't half fly.
Must try and get over there next year.

Mastercracker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I was there yesterday, and we ended up coming home early, getting home just in time to see Spieth walking around the tour trucks. It was absolutely heaving, more or less impossible to follow anyone even from very early on and the queues for grandstands were insane. I was also at Troon last year and the difference was night and day.

The R&A will no doubt celebrate it as a great success but for £135 for us to park and get in it would be nice to be in with a chance of actually seeing some golf!

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I was there yesterday, and we ended up coming home early, getting home just in time to see Spieth walking around the tour trucks. It was absolutely heaving, more or less impossible to follow anyone even from very early on and the queues for grandstands were insane. I was also at Troon last year and the difference was night and day.

The R&A will no doubt celebrate it as a great success but for £135 for us to park and get in it would be nice to be in with a chance of actually seeing some golf!

Yep why I didn't bother.

Watching US open qualifying was night and day better experience, up close with the players and could have a chat with them.

Mastercracker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Yep why I didn't bother.

Watching US open qualifying was night and day better experience, up close with the players and could have a chat with them.

My other half bought me them for Xmas after we'd had such a good time on sunday at Troon. I probably wouldn't have chosen to go with it being so much closer to massive cities but still didn't expect it to be quite as daft. Last year we followed Fowler from 1-18 fairly easily, then sat in a half empty 18th grandstand from 2.30 onwards with it only being totally full with about an hour of play left.

Yesterday we tried to follow Rahm, gave up after seeing the square root of sod all, sat in the 6th green grandstand for an hour or so, queued to get in the 18th at 1.50pm only to get in and not be able to find 2 seats together. Left the grandstand, walked backwards round the course to see if we could find anywhere worth sitting, failed and nearly got ko'd by a wayward Bubba drive.

On a side note, how bloody thin is Bubba? He looks ill up close. His clothes don't even fit.