Who Decides Who Gets Sponsor's Invites?

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
So after announcing that they have given the 2 sponsor's invites to the CME Group Tour Championship to a player who is 252nd in the world - Sarah Kemp, and one who hasn't made a cut since April and has only played 6 times this season - Natalie Gulbis, I was wondering who decides who gets these invites? Is it the spojnsor themselves, or the tournament organisers ( the LPGA in this case). In either case, do they really think that being one of the hottest golfers on the tour at the present time (Popov - not missed a cut since the Women's Open) is much less important than being sponsored by the tournament sponsor (Kemp)* or a mate of the CEO (Gulbis)*. Or indeed that the latest Major winner isn't worthy of being there?

If the idea is to propmote your brand, I think both the LPGA Tour and CME have shot themselves in the foot on this one. The publicity seems to be mostly negative.

* Source: Sky Sports

D

Deleted member 18588

Tournament organisers may advise the sponsor.

But at the end of the day they are sponsor's invitations and they, the sponsors, are free to distribute them as they wish.

There was quite a full statement from CME explaining their choices.

Plenty of examples of players receiving unexpected/unwarranted invites and taking advantage to kick start their careers.

Some you win and some you lose but if the tour takes the sponsor's money then there may be a price to pay.

slowhand

Head Pro
Visit site
I understand, and even support, them giving out invites to players just starting out on a normal tournamment, but Gulbis is a 3-time Solheim Cup player, hardly just starting out. And this is supposed to be the grand finale of the LPGA season. Why wouldn't you want the best players there?

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
I wouldnt blame this on the sponsors invite. Its 100% down to the LPGA not recognising the points Popov would have gained from the open had she been a pro.

If they did then she'd have qualified in 16th place.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I know that certainly in the Men's game, sometimes the agents of top players will insist on getting one, in exchange for the top player attending - I believe this was often the case with Jason Day/Ryan Ruffells.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I can’t understand how anyone gets an invite to the tour championship. Surely by definition it should be the top players who have qualified to be there?
I can understand if it was a player who has played well but suffered an injury and so ultimately failed to qualify as of right. They may have been 10th in the world at the time of the injury, dropped out through lack of playing, come back and be playing well again. There would not be many in this category but an invite covers this type of situation.

There is no excuse for the two obvious ladies not being there at this tournament, that is just poor.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I can understand if it was a player who has played well but suffered an injury and so ultimately failed to qualify as of right. They may have been 10th in the world at the time of the injury, dropped out through lack of playing, come back and be playing well again. There would not be many in this category but an invite covers this type of situation.

There is no excuse for the two obvious ladies not being there at this tournament, that is just poor.

There is a flip side, if you won a major but decided not to join/support the LPGA tour (e.g. Shibuno for perfectly valid reasons), but then qualified by right for the season ending tour championship (as the rules would allow major winners in). People would criticise it as odd that someone who doesn't support the tour can turn up for that final event and win the tournament and potentially the overall tour championship. We already saw some of the comments in relation to Colin Morikawa on the ET.

In fact presumably Popov and other major winners were excluded from LET order of merit as wouldn't major prize money automatically top that list so presumably that's also because they didn't qualify for the tour despite being a co-sanctioned event otherwise arguably A Lim Kim could now state she's now going to be a member and would then take the LET order of merit title from Emily Pedersen (assuming it would run to end of year to cover all majors) which would seem a bit off walking away with an additional £100k.

I agree overall that the rules of ignoring past success in "LPGA" events before membership is the issue (although i could see an issue like A Lim Kim above) not the sponsors invites. They probably shouldn't be in the tour championship, but then the likes of Anne Van Dam probably shouldn't either as didn't qualify by right - she's in as others have dropped out so they are effectively filling places as a result.

D

Deleted member 18588

Doubt that there will be too much negative publicity on the States.

American sponsor favours two American golfers over a German and, perhaps another SE Asian.

With their reputation for insularity I don't expect many Americans to be that bothered.

Can't say I agree with them but I fear that is the reality of the situation.

Last edited by a moderator:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Doubt that there will be too much negative publicity on the States.

American sponsor favours two American golfers over a German and, perhaps another SE Asian.

With their reputation for insulation I don't expect many Americans to be that bothered.

Can't say I agree with them but I fear that is the reality of the situation.

Fair point especially about the insular nature of the US tours. I get your point about giving it to US players but still think they missed the bigger picture especially with Popov.