1st ever golf related injury

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all
Haven't managed to play in a nearly a couple of weeks, so tonight as the weather was glorious, slight breeze but a refreshing one I thought I'd go out for club night, was drawn to play with a couple of the guys and we were 1st out so caught the best of the evening :)
On the 1st hole was hit square in the shoulder by a ball in full flight :eek:,
I hear you thinking b*gger, sw1ne etc... at the person who launched the ball for not shouting fore :mad:
well, the embrassing thing was the ball was actually my own :eek: :eek:
I had hit a corker off the 1st tee which turned slightly left as it came down and landed just shy of a small cops on the left of the fairway in slight rough, I had a clear line to the right of the green so I thought if I can get it there I'll be on the green in 3 (par 4, 396yd) addressed the ball and went for it, the ball hit a tree about 10 yds in front, slightly to my left, gave a really loud crack and came straight back at me and stopped right on my shoulder joint :(
The rest of the nine holes was spent in the trees and managed to come in with a measly 12 points. I should have left after the 1st ;)
I am now sporting a big red lump on my left shoulder and I suspect it will be black and blue in the morning. :(
It hurt like hell at first but now it aches, alot :( :eek:
Anyone else had a good day ;)

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Anyone else had a good day ;)

...in the sense that I haven't been belted in the shoulder by my own ball - yes thank you (although I would rather have spent it sipping G&Ts and reading the paper than neck deep in paperwork in a concrete office.)

I got hit in the big toe by a golf ball struck by my other half. Nail died, split and fell off - yuck.

At least it missed your nog - a good mate of mine who I would love to encourage to play simply won't as when he was a lad he knocked around with the son of a greenkeeper. They were out on a course when a ball hit someone in the face - splattered eyeball - lost the sight of it- mess, horror and trauma.

Won't go near a golf course and I can't really blame him

Salutations and sympathy Barb

McCojac

Medal Winner
Visit site
At least you got to play Golf I've spent all day Scrubbing and cleaning my Army Married Quarter ready for moving next week looking out at the perfect golfing weather and being completely hacked off, but I hope your shoulder heals quickly and doesn't keep you from the golf course for too long.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Barb--plenty of ice on the spot to keep the swelling down--hope it recovers to allow you play this weekend.

Thankfully never hit by a ball on the course. Was playing recently when my playing partner was hit on the back of the neck. Poor chap went down like a log-we were only on the fourth hole-finished the hoel drove off ont eh fifth but he decided to call it a day as his headache was getting worse. Thankfully he is alright-have not played with him since but he is playing away.

AliB

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Hi Barb
Poor you!
I'm trying to put myself in your shoes and can't decide if an injury is better or worse with a funny story attached! thank goodness it was no worse than a bruise and sincerely hope it doesn't keep you off the course too long.
I was hit by a ball at close range (off the tee) as a youngster and thought my leg was broken. I hope your bruise isn't as big as the one I had then.
By the way, sounds like you had that par 4 nailed - remember that for next time!

AliB

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Barb,

Sorry to hear that although I must confess to having a small smile on my face as your story unfolded. Got hit myself last year. Had just played my 2nd on a par 4 and the guy on the tee decided to go (still haven't figured out why). One bounce and hit me flush on the back. Went down like a Northern Rock mortgage.

The guy came up and said something about not thinking he could get that far. I was thinking about inserting my Callaway into an unplayable lie!

Took about 10 minutes to get my breath back and recover. It was quite painful all the way round especially the last few holes when it stiffened up. My partners suggested calling it a day after it happened but as it was a medal and I was marking a card I thought it was only fair to carry on.

I hope it gets better soon. Lots of ice and anti-inflammatories (neurofen etc) and plenty of TLC from the other half

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'd not long taken up golf (15 years old) and our PE teacher was trying to teach us hockey. Warned us that in hockey you couldn't raise the stick above shoulder height. I didn't listen and knocked out two of a classmate's front teeth.
I hit another pal on the forehead with a practice swing and my brother did the same to me.
A coffin-dodger once wandered onto the fairway we were playing and my drive caught him full in the face. I thought I'd killed the old bugger.
Golf can be dangerous.

TonyN

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sorry to hear that barb, HTL you beat me to the rice treatment haha. Good job its the right shoulder though aye, cause you cant ice the left!

I had a glorious day yesterday. Played Pennant Park in flint if anyone knows it. Sun was out all day, and i got a nice sun tan. Course was in top condidtion and views where unbeleivable. Stay tuned for pics from me or davethepro.

Hope you get well soon barb.

benny

Head Pro
Visit site
Unlucky Barb! Hope you get better and get playing soon.

On my first ever round of golf way back in 1995 at Sawdon Golf Club, a notorious municiple where all the holes criss cross each other, I had what has proved to be so far the luckiest escape of my golfing life.

Waiting on an elevated tee to hit to a par 3 we heard a late, blood curdling cry of FOOOOOOOOOORE!!!!! and hit the deck behind my trolley. There was an almighty crash as the ball collided with my bag but when we got up, no sign of the errant ball. I dusted myself down, thought to myself that this must be what happens every week to everyone on the golf course and hit another of my 126 strokes that day.

Getting home, I told my Mum all about the near miss and how odd it was that we couldnt find the ball afterwards. It was only later that night when she came to get the carrier bag that was dangling off my trolley that had contained my packup that we found the little begggar! A rip in the plaggy bag, one side of my lunchbox smashed to peices and my first Titleist inside!

Theres not many who get hit in the lunch box and can still manage to complete the round y'know :)

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
thanks all for your words of sympathy, my shoulder is aching quite a bit with a dark blue/purple bruise the size if a tennis ball.

you have to laugh about it as it was just so strange particularly to hit the tree square on, now that accuratecy for you :D

Benny, I wouldn't thing anyone could finish a round after that :p
Though I do thank my lucky stars as it could have been alot worse.

When my work colleagues asked what was wrong with my shoulder today they all proceeded to fall about laughing when I explained, thats sympathy for you!!! :D :D
Thanks again for the recovery advice and sympathy.

Yidio

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Slightly off topic as it's not a golf injury but it'll stop me playing for a while nonetheless....I have managed to accidentally lacerate my right wrist,thankfully an inch away from an artery but it has resulted in 15 stitches so i won't be swinging a club for a few weeks. Just as the weather was picking up,too. Absolutely gutted.

barb

Head Pro
Visit site
Oh poor you :( and I would imagine that is quite painful, my husband is not playing at the moment because of surgery on his wrist and that can be quite a delicate place.
Hope you not off your game for too long.
sympathy for you.
barb

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
In the late eighties my Bro hit me at point blank and I was behind him. He teed off and struck a concrete tee marker, the ball ricocheted (sp) and hit me in the kidney area. I had a nice red circular mark and you could even make out the dimples, turned every colour of the rainbow after about a week. I couldn't finish the round as I was unable to turn.
Another near miss when I was playing in heavy rain. Grip wet, glove wet, short par three, gave it a lash and the club left my hands and careered towrds the next tee hitting a guys trolley before bouncing and hitting his foot. I'm sorry to say that I was rolling around laughing and took about five mins before i could appologise. Don't think he was best pleased.