1st ever golf related injury

Nico

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Not been hit yet although seen my mate clobbered and it wasnt funny at all.

Even less funny was a guy I met before I had even picked up a club. It was in 1994 and at the time I was into American Football, had joined a fantasy league and was at the draft.

The work colleague who had taken me along introduced me to his dad and dad's best mate who had a big patch over right eye. I said that looks sore what happened and he said, "I was standing to ther right of my mate (the dad) on the tee a month ago and he toed the ball,It hit me in the eye plumb in the socket and smashed my eye."

He lost his eye and I have never ever stood in front of someone teeing off!!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Grim story....

I remember waiting around for our tee times for our club open one year. There was a nice guy (off 22) who had been playing well in medals/club events and was hot favourite to be well under par net. On the putting green, he suddenly got floored and started making worrying noises. He was pointing to his chest, so we removed his polo to find a full-scale pitch mark 2 inches from his heart. He got over it, he didn't play and was ok long term, but it was a wake-up call.

Canfordhacker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Many moons ago I thinned a two iron off a tee towards a group of people clearing scrub on the course. Big yell of "fore" from our fourball, and one of the group turned to see where the ball was headed. She had a protective helmet on and it hit her plumb between the eyes, right in the centre of the forehead. Two inches lower and i'm convinced it would have killed her. You could see the dimples in the helmet. I asked if she'd seen where it finished and she wasn't amused.

I ALWAYS turn away when I hear a shout since then.