1st comp tomorrow- phone

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
As far as I’m aware pin position information is freely communicable without penalty. Why anyone would want to know a club when the distance information is readily available and the wind very changeable I don’t know.

You’d be surprised what information some have been found to be sharing. If it’s windy, how many extra clubs they took on such and such hole, and so on. We were having all sorts of issues with it especially, dare I say it, with younger members.

So the club banned their use except in emergencies. Even that caused problems, with a minority trying to use a very liberal interpretation of what amounts to an emergency!

Seriously, you couldn’t make this stuff up.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You’d be surprised what information some have been found to be sharing. If it’s windy, how many extra clubs they took on such and such hole, and so on. We were having all sorts of issues with it especially, dare I say it, with younger members.

So the club banned their use except in emergencies. Even that caused problems, with a minority trying to use a very liberal interpretation of what amounts to an emergency!

Seriously, you couldn’t make this stuff up.
Sure it’s against the rules I’m just amazed anyone bothers to do it. If the guy standing on the same tee as me with a similar swing speed finds he needs a couple of extra clubs that could be useful, but someone separated by more time? I don’t think the wind is steady enough to make that information useful.

Jason.H

Visit site
Phone apps, gps, rangefinders is here to stay. How can slope be policed in any case. My only issue is if people use their phone for text, emails or even calls during a round not necessarily for golf advice.

Billysboots

Visit site
Sure it’s against the rules I’m just amazed anyone bothers to do it. If the guy standing on the same tee as me with a similar swing speed finds he needs a couple of extra clubs that could be useful, but someone separated by more time? I don’t think the wind is steady enough to make that information useful.

Totally agree. But we had a certain group of members, about half a dozen or so, who used to text each other non stop whilst on the course. I suppose it’s a generational thing to an extent, but the club got round it by banning mobile phone use, and saying they would deal with continued transgressions as a serious breach of etiquette.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Totally agree. But we had a certain group of members, about half a dozen or so, who used to text each other non stop whilst on the course. I suppose it’s a generational thing to an extent, but the club got round it by banning mobile phone use, and saying they would deal with continued transgressions as a serious breach of etiquette.

That's discourteous especially in a competition. I wouldn't want people yacking away as I was playing, even if its walking between shots especially if the ring tone is on. Why would you want information on a hole you haven't played. No-one hots the ball the same and the wind may drop/pick up so not sure how viable the information is anyway

Skytot

Visit site
So I had a -6 yesterday in a Bogey. I played quite well with pitching & chipping helping me out . I played at 8-45 and the conditions were pretty tough early on with the sun directly in our eyes and lots of dew in the ground. Having a lesson on Monday , I need to improve my driving .

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
The youth is playing a tournament today, 11-12 year old class, and they aren't allowed any kind of outside assistance - no watches, gps, phones, or caddies - infact if I want to walk round with him, I have to maintain a distance of 50 metres from the players.

Strict rules here for the chicos and chicas

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
I think there was a lot of fear, misplaced I'd say, when golf GPS apps appeared on phones. Now, it's not uncommon to see a phone on a golf trolley being used as GPS and nobody blinks an eye. Your warning is well placed, and correct, but surely we have moved past this now?
Of course we have, but it takes about 20 years before it sinks in with some golfers. Every now and again you still hear that 'a single player has no standing on the course'. That's been gone for over 10 years now.

Billysboots

Visit site
Every now and again you still hear that 'a single player has no standing on the course'. That's been gone for over 10 years now.

Nearer 20, and I heard it only the other day! Granted, some clubs still have it as a local rule, but I can’t believe anyone still thinks it features anywhere other than locally.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Every now and again you still hear that 'a single player has no standing on the course'. That's been gone for over 10 years now.

Sadly it has not gone for some clubs.

The R&A no longer dictates rules on etiquette etc so it is up to each club to set their own and I bet there will still be a few that still have it that way. Plus it has always been up to clubs to set their own 'priority on the course' rules.

We changed ours a few years back one of which is priority should always been given to the game that is front (notable when a tee is adjacent to a grren but it can be clearly seen that a lot of players think that the players on the green should have priority.

Jason.H

Visit site
Tomorrow I’m playing in the Mizuno singles and to keep score you have to use the golf genius app on your phone. So yoou get live scoring ,leaderboard ect. I,d rather have a card and pencil tbh.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tomorrow I’m playing in the Mizuno singles and to keep score you have to use the golf genius app on your phone. So yoou get live scoring ,leaderboard ect. I,d rather have a card and pencil tbh.

You can always use a card and put scores on the app at the end.
That's what many do at my club.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Horsey Lodge? I am playing too.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So I had a -6 yesterday in a Bogey. I played quite well with pitching & chipping helping me out . I played at 8-45 and the conditions were pretty tough early on with the sun directly in our eyes and lots of dew in the ground. Having a lesson on Monday , I need to improve my driving .

Seems to be a weekend for a bogey event. We had our annual two round event (Haig Cup) this weekend. Finished -3 and we started at 8.40 and struggled with the sun and dew. A steady wind picked up too which made it interesting. Glad we only play it once a year. Tough format. We had a guy using his phone as a DMD and was entering his score on it as well. No idea why as we had cards for the comp. Seemed to be very slow and faff to get both distances and entering the score.