1st comp tomorrow- phone

Skytot

Visit site
I’ve entered my first comp in 14 yrs tomorrow- Bogey . Am I allowed to use my phone app Hole19 for distances ? Last time I played in a comp is was 150yrd markers and that was it . Things have changed a lot since then

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I’ve entered my first comp in 14 yrs tomorrow- Bogey . Am I allowed to use my phone app Hole19 for distances ? Last time I played in a comp is was 150yrd markers and that was it . Things have changed a lot since then
Welcome back to competition golf
A pretty consistent opponent!
Good luck! Enjoy!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Yes you can but if any app you have has 'slope/gradient/plays like' that feature must be turned off.

Skytot

Visit site
To be honest I don’t use gprs much I still tend to use 150 markers and instinct. But didn’t want pulling up if I did use my phone

Jason.H

Visit site

let us know how you got on. Oh I had some luck today had a really good round in our captains day today, shotgun start Texas scramble winning by one shot with net 52. To be fair one of the other team members had a very good day with the putter.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
This matter rears it’s head every now and then, and I think the safest answer is to seek guidance from your club, rather than here.

I was on our committee several years ago and approached England Golf for a definitive answer. To the best of my recollection (and I have slept since), the advice we were given was that, if a phone had any apps which could provide meteorological information or read slopes, then a distance measurement app on that phone could not be used during a qualifying round. They went on to add that, as most modern phones have those apps pre-installed and they could not be deleted, the phone could not be used even if the apps were turned off.

I accept that advice may well have changed in the intervening period, but if you are playing competitive golf, check the answer with those who administer your club competitions, not anonymous members of an online forum!

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
let us know how you got on. Oh I had some luck today had a really good round in our captains day today, shotgun start Texas scramble winning by one shot with net 52. To be fair one of the other team members had a very good day with the putter.
Nett 52 ???

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This matter rears it’s head every now and then, and I think the safest answer is to seek guidance from your club, rather than here.

I was on our committee several years ago and approached England Golf for a definitive answer. To the best of my recollection (and I have slept since), the advice we were given was that, if a phone had any apps which could provide meteorological information or read slopes, then a distance measurement app on that phone could not be used during a qualifying round. They went on to add that, as most modern phones have those apps pre-installed and they could not be deleted, the phone could not be used even if the apps were turned off.

I accept that advice may well have changed in the intervening period, but if you are playing competitive golf, check the answer with those who administer your club competitions, not anonymous members of an online forum!
I think there was a lot of fear, misplaced I'd say, when golf GPS apps appeared on phones. Now, it's not uncommon to see a phone on a golf trolley being used as GPS and nobody blinks an eye. Your warning is well placed, and correct, but surely we have moved past this now?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

It has all changed all that info is out of date.

All the information about what is and what is not allowed is contained in Rule 4.3.

A club is permitted to ban their use entirely but may not pick and chose which features it may allow and which it may not.

Last edited:

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I think there was a lot of fear, misplaced I'd say, when golf GPS apps appeared on phones. Now, it's not uncommon to see a phone on a golf trolley being used as GPS and nobody blinks an eye. Your warning is well placed, and correct, but surely we have moved past this now?

Agreed. I see no reason why, in this day and age, a phone can not be used for distance measurement during qualifiers.

It has all changed all that info is out of date.

All the information about what is and what is not allowed is contained in Rule 4.3.

A club is permitted to ban their use entirely but my not pick and chose which features it may allow and which it may not.

I did wonder if the guidance had changed. I know, until relatively recently, our club banned the use of mobile phones on the course unless in an emergency. And that included using them as DMD’s because members were abusing the slack allowed by texting mates with pin positions, clubbing and so on.

D

Deleted member 25172

Agreed. I see no reason why, in this day and age, a phone can not be used for distance measurement during qualifiers.

I did wonder if the guidance had changed. I know, until relatively recently, our club banned the use of mobile phones on the course unless in an emergency. And that included using them as DMD’s because members were abusing the slack allowed by texting mates with pin positions, clubbing and so on.

Wow. Really? I mean, that really is pathetic.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site

As far as I’m aware pin position information is freely communicable without penalty. Why anyone would want to know a club when the distance information is readily available and the wind very changeable I don’t know.