19 Years today

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Was having a root canal done - we were both watching it on the PC. Friend of mine from the Bucs lost his brother-in-law who was a member of the fire rescue team in the first tower.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I also found some of the documentaries that followed from the rescue services and survivors quite harrowing
Same here, having watched it live and seeing people desperately jumping out of windows and the firefighters entering to the sound of them landing.. does not go away.
I used to fly a lot with my F1 job, we were about to fly out to Italy the next day not sure if it was Monza or Imola but the security ramped up.
American security went from non existent to panic mode. They were shouting and bullying passengers to follow their new security protocols. To be honest it was nothing new for us in Europe and we were all happy to comply.
I do feel US system let it happen, not deliberately, but out of incompetency and arrogance. Sorry if that opinion offends some and I don’t understand how anyone thinks an act as evil as that is acceptable. But I guess we have to look pessimistically at people, some are very capable of horrible things.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
While no one can be prepared for such truly shocking events as our own London bombings on the tubs and bus showed, and the rescue services at those and the twin towers went into action selflessly and with courage as they always do, I agree up to a point and you have to question how much intelligence there was about these events even if there wasn't anything to say where and when. Also, could the US authorities not have acted quicker once they realised these attacks were all hijackings. Easy with so many years of hindsight and sure it was discussed on here historically. Maybe not one to regurgitate so I'll leave my thoughts there for now

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
While no one can be prepared for such truly shocking events as our own London bombings on the tubs and bus showed, and the rescue services at those and the twin towers went into action selflessly and with courage as they always do, I agree up to a point and you have to question how much intelligence there was about these events even if there wasn't anything to say where and when. Also, could the US authorities not have acted quicker once they realised these attacks were all hijackings. Easy with so many years of hindsight and sure it was discussed on here historically. Maybe not one to regurgitate so I'll leave my thoughts there for now
It wasn’t the intelligence, it was just prior to the event their security was completely nonexistent..

Ye Olde Boomer

Visit site
How many years is it now---23?

I was at work, but there was always a running news loop on the TVs in the cafeteria,
and that's how most of us found out. I spent more time drinking coffee and eating snacks in the cafeteria
than I did at my desk,
so I found out almost immediately.

A couple of weeks later, my wife and I flew to Vegas and there were 26 people on a 200 seat airplane.
Bellagio, ono of the most expensive hotels on Las Vegas Boulevard. was offering rooms at $95 a night!

America has been a totally different nation since then,
and in my view, not for the better.
More polarized. More xenophobic.

The terrorists succeeded with their goal.

Swango1980

Visit site
I was watching the afternoon version of Neighbours, and in the ending credits the Breaking News came on.

I was playing football later in the day with a load of mates (none of us had gone back to uni yet), and so that is all we could talk about. Not sure when we were playing, but was late enough for us to have all watched enough of the news and see events unfold before we turned up for football.

Swango1980

Visit site
Same here, having watched it live and seeing people desperately jumping out of windows and the firefighters entering to the sound of them landing.. does not go away.
I used to fly a lot with my F1 job, we were about to fly out to Italy the next day not sure if it was Monza or Imola but the security ramped up.
American security went from non existent to panic mode. They were shouting and bullying passengers to follow their new security protocols. To be honest it was nothing new for us in Europe and we were all happy to comply.
I do feel US system let it happen, not deliberately, but out of incompetency and arrogance. Sorry if that opinion offends some and I don’t understand how anyone thinks an act as evil as that is acceptable. But I guess we have to look pessimistically at people, some are very capable of horrible things.
My mate was going on holiday to New York in 2002. He is quite a witty chap, no filter, who enjoys a bit of banter with anyone. He speaks before he thinks, which is funny in its own right as he'll often embarrass himself after he's said something, and then start taking the mick out of himself. So, when he arrived in the airport in New York, there were various security checks. He casually and jokingly said something like "you're not looking for my bomb are you". Within a second or 2 later he was face down on the floor with 4-5 security on top of him screaming. Oops

He obviously didn't think about the tensions there were within a year of 9/11, and having a Northern Irish accent probably was not helpful either.