19 Years today

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
On holiday in Viehhoffen, Austria. So was totally unaware of it all whilst it happened - only found out later that evening when the Mrs had gone to bed & I turned on the telly to try to catch up on some news. Mrs B was startled back out of bed when she heard some rather astonished 'oh dear me's' (except, as you can imagine, 'oh dear me' is paraphrasing a bit').

Golfmmad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Today is the 19th anniversary of 9/11, where were you when the news broke. I had just flown to Germany and was driving on the Autobahn when I heard about it on the car radio.
I was working in somebody's House and costomer had TV on. I said, is this a film, and she stood there transfixed realising it was real. We just stood there watching and couldn't quite comprehend what was unravelling before our eyes!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
The second plane hit just a couple of floors below an old school pal of mine.
They never found any evidence that he'd ever existed!
Horrific doesn't even come close.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
On the A1 driving past RAF Dishforth, heading up to see a customer in Middlesbrough. Carried on to my parents near Middlesbrough and watched the TV…

Still find it horrendously shocking.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
I was a kid in primary school!

Remember it well though, a boy in my class's dad was literally in one of the towers when it happened and the family waited 2 days to finally hear he was okay!

Still friends with him now and his old mans story of the day is one you listen to when he tells it.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Was in the office at work.

New something was amiss as all of a sudden the Internet ground to a halt and folks started talking in huddles.

Listened to most of it on the radio in the car.

Missus was at home with our 1 month old daughter....thought she had tuned the TV in to a movie and then watched the 2nd plane hit.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I sadly lost a mate of mine who was in the 2nd tower to be hit.
They never found any clue he was even there, he was just above the jet when it went in, he must have been vapourised.
:cry:

IanMcC

Visit site
I may have been one of the last people in the UK to hear about it! I was on my way home from offshore. On trains and planes and taxis, so didn't hear anything about it until about 1730. Taxi in my home town. Driver said 'Have you heard about the American atrocity?' I said 'What have they done now?' Then he told me an earlier customer was on the phone to someone trapped in one of the towers about 6 hours previously.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Recall it very clearly. Had been out to get a bite for lunch and was back at my desk before those who sat around me had returned. I can’t recall quite why I was watching on BBC news, maybe just catching up on the days news, but watched what was unfolding with shock and horror. My parents were down visiting for a few days and I recall us sitting watching the reports on the news that evening.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At home watching it on the news live, watched as the second plane flew in to the second tower and only then realised it was not an accident with the first.

Grizzly

Visit site
At work. In my line of work, this was a huge deal and it got worse as the day went on. So many things from that day I cannot post, one I can. I was kept very late at work; phoned the missus to tell her and explain why...and she accused me of bullshitting and hung up! I still remind her of that.

Springveldt

Visit site
Was in the office and noticed the internet grinding to a halt and groups of people huddling around the tv in the corner. Started watching before the 2nd plane hit and I can just remember the silence in the office as people watched.