19 Years today

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Today is the 19th anniversary of 9/11, where were you when the news broke. I had just flown to Germany and was driving on the Autobahn when I heard about it on the car radio.

Last edited:

golfbluecustard

Head Pro
Visit site
Can't believe it's 19 years .... I was at work in London and remember it being incredibly unnerving and people asking where would be next ....

GBC

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was at a meeting in Cardiff, and we were at lunch just as it started on TV.

I had a cousin who worked for Cantor Fitzgerald in one of the twin towers. I later heard he had a dental appointment that morning and was just coming out of the subway when one of the planes hit the floor on which he worked. Many of his colleagues were killed. He lost count of the number of funerals he went to.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Year 10 at school so was mid lesson when it hit.. very odd day indeed however news was slower then round the school

D

Deleted member 21258

Just come out of the Inland Revenue from a tax investigation meeting.

Heard it on the radio in the car

3-off-the-tee

Visit site
I was only 9 at the time and remember coming home from school and seeing it on the news. My parents were at work and it was just my older brother at home who was glued to the TV.
I remember going out with my friends that night to play football on the field and us all talking about it.

hairball_89

Club Champion
Visit site
I'd just started secondary school. It was year 7 football team tryouts. My mum picked me up and said "have you heard the news?" I hadn't seen anything. I'd been too busy being an 11 year old boy playing football.

If I'm honest, I'm glad I was too young to understand the enormity. Looking back at the pictures now I don't know how I would have reacted had I understood what was really going on.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Had just won our Company's B Grade Championship on the 'Wee' course at Dalmahoy.
I can remember my opponent's words when we saw the TV playing - I think just before the 2nd plane struck....'Well that puts things into perspective!'

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
I was speaking at a Conference at the Belfry!

The previous day I had played the Brabbazon. The stands and Ryder Cup banners were all virtually ready. The conference was video linked to Boston... that link broke at the time of the attacks. Initially reported as a Civil Aviation accident....the rest you know. I drove home as it was unfolding on the radio. Awful stuff.

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was just in a gym, saw the pictures on the TV's, but they had music blaring out do had no idea what was going on, thought it was a film .

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was working at Sky, we had TVs on the desks between each workstation. I came back from lunch and asked my colleague next to me what film he was watching instead of working, that was exactly what it looked like, a scene from a film. When he said, no it's the news theres been an attack in New York, I was dumbfounded, it was surreal.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
I was in B&Q buying some underlay for new flooring going down later that day. I remember phoning my wife to switch the TV on to check that what I was hearing was true.

The shock in her voice as she saw it on Sky News is unforgettable.

D

Deleted member 18588

Had just got in my car, put the radio on and the coverage had commenced.

I know it sounds stupid but having not heard the introduction for a short while I thought I was listening to an Orson Welles War of the Worlds type of spoof.

I suppose that illustrates how truly incredible it was.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had just got in my car, put the radio on and the coverage had commenced.

I know it sounds stupid but having not heard the introduction for a short while I thought I was listening to an Orson Welles War of the Worlds type of spoof.

I suppose that illustrates how truly incredible it was.

Not stupid at all, even people watching it happen (me included) thought it was some work of fiction. The truth was much harder to register and accept.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Sitting in my office running through some purchase orders for mobile,e phone chargers , cases and the like...
We had fairly rudimentary Internet at the time and with everyone tuning in it collapsed so we were left with the radio...

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Playing golf. I'd been asked to take the place of a friend who'd been called into work. Played & came into the bar to the scrolling news feed with no sound, desperately trying to see the logos on the planes as the friend whose place I'd taken was BA cabin crew. Least comfortable lunch I've ever spent at a golf club.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing in and winning the final of our summer KO competition. the first big competition I won. I knew nothing about it before we started and was chuffed to bits after walking off 18 with a one up victory. The elation didn't last for long when I got in the club house and saw the TV pictures