148th Open Championship

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
Just read this, hopefully it’s true. Sorry if posted earlier in the thread...

In the time since the world golf rankings were launched the average world ranking for the winner of the Open has been 33. The average age of the winner has been 32.

Congrats to Shane Lowry for winning this year's Open Championship. He's 32 years old and ranked 33 in the world.

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s genuine galling just how many people I have met in England that think Northern Ireland is a way of saying northern Ireland aka, the north of some imaginary all island state. So many don’t know that Northern Ireland is as much a constituent country as England, Scotland and Wales. Very few people know that the UK is the “country” in terms of our international relations. Methinks the current political situation is educating a lot of people!

With the whole of my mothers side from Belfast I’m fully aware of it - Lowry said it was great to win in Ireland , my family believe it’s Ireland so Lowry has won on home soil according to him and that’s all that matters to him - it’s The Open and Lowry has won The Open being played in Ireland and is rightly proud of that 🏌🏿‍♂️

In other news- why wasn’t Tommy presented with the RU ?

Last edited by a moderator:

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Give it a rest with the is it/is it not Irish.
Golf on this island both in NI and the Republic is played through the one golfing union, the GUI, that much is undisputable. Rugby and hockey are the same.
Young up and coming golfers in Northern Ireland get coached down in GUI national academy at Carton House nr Maynooth outside Dublin, politics doesn't come into it. We cheer on fellow golfers regardless of which town, county or religious persuasion. It's a tricky subject politically but we all accept sport as all encompassing bar the odd sectarian minority and hopefully that is on the decrease.
The main thing to come from this week hopefully shows that NI can put on an awesome show that many thought should be limited only to Scotland and England. Hopefully either RPGC or RCD can go on the rota now as it's been proved that if you build it, they will come.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ah well, with Fleetwood @ 28/1 each way, and Westwood @ 100/1 each way I guess I'm quite content. Although I'd quite like Westwood to have been the winner. But very well played Lowry. Yesterday was superb, and today was pretty decent in holding it together when others fell apart. A worthy victor.

U

User62651

If an English person won in Scotland you wouldn’t say he won on home soil because they’re on the same island in an adjacent country. It is NOT Irish soil. It’s Northern Irish. The Northern isn’t a description, it’s part of the name.
Depends on politics, when Lyle won at Sandwich and Faldo won at both Muirfield and St Andrews they were both seen as home winners winning on home soil at the time. I think in golfing terms Ireland is treated as one country, be that geographic rather than political. The world cup of golf being a good example.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Pleased to see Lowry win that. His Saturday score really sorted it out. Would've preferred a closer margin for tv entertainment but he cant be blamed for that
Also nice to see the congratulations offered up by McDowell & Harrington off the 18th (the latter not even playing the weekend)

Also pleased that slow-poke Holmes fell into oblivion

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It was never going to be a vintage last day back 9 challenge on a course like Portrush and the weather the way it was.
It came down to he who makes least mistakes wins.
All the good rounds were from the early starters and the likes of Molinari and McIntyre could just sit and watch their bank balances rise as the weather blew the big guns out of the water.
In a way it's an unfortunate aspect of The Open.
Last year it was a battle all the way as the weather was fairly consistent.
The weather can play a huge part in determining the winner.

And I agree, it was nice to see JB Slug drift slowly down the leaderboard

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Next year I buy a Sky Golf pass for The Open - even if I only watch the last 2hrs next year - the highlights just aren't the same...good stuff done by SL.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
It’s genuine galling just how many people I have met in England that think Northern Ireland is a way of saying northern Ireland aka, the north of some imaginary all island state. So many don’t know that Northern Ireland is as much a constituent country as England, Scotland and Wales. Very few people know that the UK is the “country” in terms of our international relations. Methinks the current political situation is educating a lot of people!
Go and spout all this in a pub in Derry and see how long you last :D

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
A lot of talk about weather conditions. They didn’t look that bad, it’s just an excuse for not playing well.
It was like a summers day in the Highlands 😂

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Probably will get overlooked because he wasn't really in contention, but what a fantastic final round from Finau. In the same horrendous conditions as the leaders, only made two bogeys and finished level par for the day. Cracking effort that was. One of the few Americans who seemed to handle it well. Probably because he had that hood to keep the worst of the rain off. :ROFLMAO: (Although I don't think he actually put it up.)

U

User62651

Trying to figure what Bob McIntyre won for tied 6th.

4 players on 6th equal. So do they add the prize money for places 6,7,8,9 and then equal share it for the 4 players ($313,000) or do they all get the stated 6th place prize of $389,000?

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Trying to figure what Bob McIntyre won for tied 6th.

4 players on 6th equal. So do they add the prize money for places 6,7,8,9 and then equal share it for the 4 players ($313,000) or do they all get the stated 6th place prize of $389,000?

I believe they get the money for 6, 7, 8 and 9 added together and divided by 4. They all won 277,950 euros.