148th Open Championship

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Maybe I've just not noticed before but day 2 isn't a straight reversal of day 1 :unsure:

Wonder if the weather will rule out half the field before the cut?

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Forecast isnt horrible.

Low winds but rain to move in both afternoons. Although bbc is only showing a maximum of 50%.

Strongest wind being shown as 11 mph.

If there is rain on the Thursday afternoon, you could see some very low scores shot on Friday morning while the wind is down and the ground softer.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
It’s getting closer…

Has Tiger (& for that matter Rory) played enough competitive golf over the last month, different reasons for these two but neither really playing the Tours recently. Can Brooks keep the phenomenal Major run going? I don’t see Molinari defending it though

Looking at the 3 balls which would you want to drop yourself into to make up the 4?

Obvious shout for the Tiger/Wallace/Reed group, I think there’s some serious winding up opportunities there but I’d also really fancy playing in the Fleetwood/Olesen/Thomas group, a lot of skill on show
(part of me would have liked to see Rahm/Hatton/Wallace as a 3-ball but I doubt they’d reach the end with a complete set of clubs & caddy’s!)

Will the weather play too much of a part; Showers expected all 4 days but next to nowt for wind (although it’ll be described as tricky & testing for the players I’m sure)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I really hope this is a classic open, especially as its the first outside the normal rota for years. If it ll comes together hopefully it'll persuade the R&A to look at adding other places to the rota. Few rumours about Woods fitness again as he was seen with strapping on but hopefully precautionary and I think he's worked his schedule well and wonder if he can find something special this week

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
With Howell now out and Harman in it means Martin Kaymer is the next first reserve. Still a chance to keep his Major run going (not that I wish anyone else dropping out)

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Love to see Tiger win it but seems pretty unlikely given he's played 1 non-major event since The Masters and his apparent recent struggles in colder weather. Can't see Rory winning either, pressure to perform is SO high this week, all eyes will be on him so wouldn't be a surprise to see him struggle.

I think Brooks will take it personally. Not only does he always show up and perform at Majors, but his caddy was a good player in his own right and has experience at Portrush being born in the town - shot 65 there in a tournament, so he knows the course well, or 16 holes of it anyway. (https://www.theopen.com/latest/2019/07/the148thopen/brooks-koepkas-secret-weapon)

Going to be a great championship on an absolutely stunning golf course, I can't wait.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'll admit I'm struggling to get excited at the moment - no great surprise as I dislike all the build up hype to any event.
Also, due to various circumstances, I'm probably not going to be able to watch much of it at all....
I'm not a fan of highlights, especially as I'll be keeping an eye on things from afar, as I'll know what happens.
Might get to see the last hour or two but that's not a guarantee....
Bah!

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I'll admit I'm struggling to get excited at the moment - no great surprise as I dislike all the build up hype to any event.
Also, due to various circumstances, I'm probably not going to be able to watch much of it at all....
I'm not a fan of highlights, especially as I'll be keeping an eye on things from afar, as I'll know what happens.
Might get to see the last hour or two but that's not a guarantee....
Bah!

Hope whatever circumstances keeping you away is at least pleasant

For me this is the big one, 40 hours of it on tv but I'll max out at 25-30 i guess. The Irish & Scottish running up to this just makes it even bigger. Had to bring forward sundays tee time so we can finish before coverage starts, can't wait :love:

Wolf

Visit site
Always struggle to get up for the Open. I think it's because it being the only one we have over here in supposed to like it etc. But I've always preferred the US Open 🤔

That being said with the exception of Friday where I have a fair bit of driving to do I'll be glued to it and probably have a cheeky wager I by Wednesday night

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It’s getting closer…

Has Tiger (& for that matter Rory) played enough competitive golf over the last month, different reasons for these two but neither really playing the Tours recently. Can Brooks keep the phenomenal Major run going? I don’t see Molinari defending it though

Looking at the 3 balls which would you want to drop yourself into to make up the 4?

Obvious shout for the Tiger/Wallace/Reed group, I think there’s some serious winding up opportunities there but I’d also really fancy playing in the Fleetwood/Olesen/Thomas group, a lot of skill on show
(part of me would have liked to see Rahm/Hatton/Wallace as a 3-ball but I doubt they’d reach the end with a complete set of clubs & caddy’s!)

Will the weather play too much of a part; Showers expected all 4 days but next to nowt for wind (although it’ll be described as tricky & testing for the players I’m sure)
Playing with Bubba & Pepperell would probably be a laugh (and RCB).

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Buzzing for this.

Think it will be a great tournament and will be firmly n the rota now every 10 to 12 years.

Really looking forward to getting a decent look at the course on Thursday - which seems to be getting hype to the level that it must be amazing.

Not overly fussed who wins it, although I have my favourites - but hoping for a good contest with more than 1 guy in the mix and ideally a solid champion (no Todd Hamilton's please).

Looks like weather could be a challenge on Thursday. Possibly a good bit worse for the afternoon players and possibly take a few guys out of it.
Tiger, Kuchar, Rahm, Reed, Cantlay, DJ among the later starters on Thursday.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think Brooks will take it personally. Not only does he always show up and perform at Majors, but his caddy was a good player in his own right and has experience at Portrush being born in the town - shot 65 there in a tournament, so he knows the course well, or 16 holes of it anyway. (https://www.theopen.com/latest/2019/07/the148thopen/brooks-koepkas-secret-weapon)
I heard his caddy asked about this. Firstly he said it was a long time since he had played there but more importantly Brooks is hitting different lines, different distances to him. In effect, Brooks is playing a different course and his local knowledge, other than the greens, is redundant. If he was caddying for a Zach Johnson or similar it may count but not for him. Caddies and players are so professional now that I don't think that adds up anyway. It is a good media story though.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think I'll have to go with Brooks as it seems silly not to these days. I also fancy Stenson to do well, seems to be right in form at the minute. I'll also be throwing a quid or two at Fitzpatrick, Beef and Jazz Janewattananond for the each ways I think! I really wanted to go with Fleetwood but I can't see him winning it, might go first round leader on him.

bernix

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
as i have my flight into Heathrow for the forum meeting scheduled on sunday, i will miss most of the final round action. hope you fellows can report the highlights.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
Listening to Tiger's press conference, and will be surprised if he plays well this week. Apparently his touch around the greens is where he wants it, but his ball striking isn't where he wants it and he's not yet shaping it how he wants to. Means he's likely going to be missing fairways, hacking out of rough and relying on his chipping and putting. Mix that with the rain coming in on Thurs afternoon and think we could see a slow start. I can't see him missing the cut, but think it'll be like the US Open where he's just never in contention.