148th Open Championship

Wolf

Visit site
You guys must all be some players if you think shooting 65 in a major is only "decent".
Unbelievable logic. Golfers on a golf forum talking about golf and yet criticised for not blowing smoke up Rorys backside.

Yes he played well today, but yet again in a major as a whole he cocked it up. His round today was tied low round indeed but you can't shoot 79 on day 1 and then shoot good scores next day still meaning you miss the cut and not be subject to criticism. It's a 4 round tournament and Rory only gets to play 2 despite the hype again. Decent effort overall but not good enough....

User20204

Visit site
So that's 6 or 7 of you now seem to think that a 65 in a major is decent, cool.

As it happens I've said nothing about his tournament as a whole, unlike you guys, I'm referring solely to his round today, you're all more than welcome to criticise how he's played over the his 36 holes but today in my opinion was a tad better than decent. (y)

Pin-seeker

Visit site

As it happens I've said nothing about his tournament as a whole, unlike you guys, I'm referring solely to his round today, you're all more than welcome to criticise how he's played over the his 36 holes but today in my opinion was a tad better than decent. (y)

Yeah you’re right,Rory turned up today & blew the field apart🙄.

2 other players shot 6 under today & made the cut 👍🏻

I’ll give more credit to them.

But they didn’t get emotional after their round I suppose 🤷‍♂️

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

You've only watched highlights.
He hit plenty of shots that weren't too clever today.

I've seen plenty if games on motd that look the nuts but we're awful.

Re the 65 the score isn't all that important, it's more how it relates to the field. Plenty of others hit very similar scores. He was above average, but not outstanding when compared to his peers.

If you think that rounds should be judged regardless of the others they've played in a tournament then "that's cool" 👍🏻

Wolf

Visit site
Yeah you’re right,Rory turned up today & blew the field apart🙄.

2 other players shot 6 under today & made the cut 👍🏻

I’ll give more credit to them.

But they didn’t get emotional after their round I suppose 🤷‍♂️
I'd rather have been Paul Casey in that group shooting 70 and knowing I'm there for the next 2 days than Rory shooting 65 and taking the weekend off 😏

User20204

Visit site
You've only watched highlights.
He hit plenty of shots that weren't too clever today.

I've seen plenty if games on motd that look the nuts but we're awful.

Re the 65 the score isn't all that important, it's more how it relates to the field. Plenty of others hit very similar scores. He was above average, but not outstanding when compared to his peers.

If you think that rounds should be judged regardless of the others they've played in a tournament then "that's cool" 👍🏻

I'm taking this single round alone, in comparison to nothing else and it was, as I have already said, better than decent, seems others have a different opinion, and again I'll say, that's utter nonsense, in my opinion.

D

Deleted member 15344

I belive it may have been 15. He's at +2 absolutely smokes his drive so far that the commentary even mention he is in the range he’s no good at. Duly pops a wedge the bunker and blows a massive chance.

Don't get me wrong. He played well today, but if you only saw the highlights (on BBC I presume) then obviously you'll have only seen his good bits.

My point being that his round which you're correct was joint best of the day was hardly flawless. He made a decent attempt to get back into it, but over half the field was at par or better today. It was an easier day and he had less pressure on him as nobody expected him to progress.

It appeared to me that as soon as the pressure returned he tightened up again unfortunately.

Sorry but Rory wasn’t “free wheeling” today and was still under enormous pressure to make the cut alone , that pressure was just as intense as yesterday and it only increased as he got closer , yes he made a bogey but he responded back and even with the shot into the bunker which was inches from being spot on he responded again

Yes he will be massively disappointed with the two rounds together to miss the cut , anyone who saw the interview should understand the pressure he was under and he allowed that to affect him earlier in his first round which ultimately cost him but taking just today’s round in isolation it was outstanding golf , no one gave him a hope of making the cut and to miss out so closely with that fight back showed a lot of character today , even more so was the raw emotion straight after with the interview.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
Might see more of people at the top end of the leader board now that Rory isn’t playing the wk end 😁

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
Sorry but Rory wasn’t “free wheeling” today and was still under enormous pressure to make the cut alone , that pressure was just as intense as yesterday and it only increased as he got closer , yes he made a bogey but he responded back and even with the shot into the bunker which was inches from being spot on he responded again

Yes he will be massively disappointed with the two rounds together to miss the cut , anyone who saw the interview should understand the pressure he was under and he allowed that to affect him earlier in his first round which ultimately cost him but taking just today’s round in isolation it was outstanding golf , no one gave him a hope of making the cut and to miss out so closely with that fight back showed a lot of character today , even more so was the raw emotion straight after with the interview.
I learned long ago not to debate Rory with you Phil so I'll respectfully disagree and bow out here. 👍🏻

Pin-seeker

Visit site

Calm down Phil👍🏻
Why did no one give him a chance to make the cut?
We all know he’s capable of it👍

Sorry but a multiple major/Ryder cup/PGA/EuropeanTour winner, nah I’m not buying the pressure thing.
It’s not like he’s a 18yr old rookie.
Seems like a cop out to me.

Pin-seeker

Visit site
So out of the players in contention,who do we want to win it?
I’m going Fleetwood as I backed him.
But if not I’ll go Westwood or Spieth.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
So out of the players in contention,who do we want to win it?
I’m going Fleetwood as I backed him.
But if not I’ll go Westwood or Spieth.
Bjerregard of Xander for financial reasons.

Spieth because I like him. I'm not one for sentimental (Westwood).
Lowry would obviously be ideal for the event.