10.5 is 11, no it's not

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I know a h/cap of 10.4 means your off 10 and 10.5 means your off 11 but can anyone tell me why?
Surely common sense would say 10.0-10.9 would be 10 etc
Just curious

CMAC

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
common Maths formulae to round up or down, suppose there has to be a 'cut off point' somewhere and the 'middle' makes sense.

markyjee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I would guess its because playing h/cap is a whole number and in the numeracy world you round up or down to the number depending on which number you are closer to.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I know a h/cap of 10.4 means your off 10 and 10.5 means your off 11 but can anyone tell me why?
Surely common sense would say 10.0-10.9 would be 10 etc
Just curious

I'm not sure I understand your point really, I'm assuming it goes beyond the common convention of how to round to the nearest number.

Are you suggesting that it leads to players playing of a handicap that is higher (by up to 0.5) than there actual handicap? And that this is somehow unfair?

I suppose you could say why round at all and all nett scores have a decimal place?

timchump

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
hmm i'm comfused
isn't it just maths, if somebody plays of 10.9 they are more likely to play to a handicap of 11 than 10

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm 11.9 as at today an agree with Bobs reasoning. I should be off 11 until I reach 12 (this Sunday)

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Is it done to encourage or motivate players for a cut? I am currently teetering on 12.4, one more 0.1 and I will be playing off 13 which will be a valuable shot to try and get back to 12 or lower. If I had to (potentially) wait for another 5 x 0.1's to get that extra shot it would be rather demotivating IMO. Just a thought.

Fader

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got to admit I know whythey do it as it is because of common mathematical numbers you round up after 0.5. BUT I totally agree with Bob. 10.0 - 10.9 should be playing handicap of 10! After all the reasoning on age he also gives is spot on, i'm 32 & 9 months but i'm not 33!

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Is it done to encourage or motivate players for a cut? I am currently teetering on 12.4, one more 0.1 and I will be playing off 13 which will be a valuable shot to try and get back to 12 or lower. If I had to (potentially) wait for another 5 x 0.1's to get that extra shot it would be rather demotivating IMO. Just a thought.

Surely you'd have the same motivation at 12.9 ?

How about the people going down ?
9.5 isn't single figures :mad:
5.5 isn't Cat I :mad:

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Got to admit I know whythey do it as it is because of common mathematical numbers you round up after 0.5. BUT I totally agree with Bob. 10.0 - 10.9 should be playing handicap of 10! After all the reasoning on age he also gives is spot on, i'm 32 & 9 months but i'm not 33!

Agree completely - I'm 29 and 18months

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Maybe you have to consider how things would work in comps wehere shots are given based upon 3/4 difference etc. There is a rounding up and down in these as well. Seems to me that the way playing handicap is set has to take into account the likes of matchplay as well.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Agree completely - I'm 29 and 18months

But if we recalibrated age and defined one new human year to be equal to ten current human years, and say you were 9/10th of the way through your third 'year' would we say you were two or three (when 29 in old human years would you feel or be perceived to be 20 or 30 - to all intents and purposes you'd be 30 I'd say - so natural to round up and down, not always down)

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
hmm i'm comfused
isn't it just maths, if somebody plays of 10.9 they are more likely to play to a handicap of 11 than 10

For me, this makes a lot of sense. If you're shooting somewhere between 10 & 11 you will probably be averaging 10.4/10.5, hence the cut off being in the middle. That way, if you get slightly better, you are closer to being off 10.

It's also easier to understand this way for people around scratch. Otherwise -0.9 to +0.9 would appear to be off 0?

Matty

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I think you should be using mathematical rounding to the nearest whole number, that way the handicap you actually play off is only every going to 0.5 away from your actual real handicap. If you start rounding down you may be losing anything up to 0.9 of a shot so essentially this form of rounding will move your game handicap much further away from your actual handicap.

With the proposed rounding down you would essentially be saying some who plays off 9.9 is 1 shot better than someone playing of 10. Is that fair?