1/2 shot shanks

spongebob59

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a practice today and was hitting the ball well throughout the bag.

Had around 20 balls left so decided to practice some 1/2 and 3/4 wedge shots and I started shanking them :confused:

Hit the last six balls with a full 7 and business as usual.

Didn't want to get anymore balls and work on the problem as I've a comp tomorrow but I'm thinking its because I'm not using the lower body in the shots.

Anyone else had this arise ?

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The only shanks I ever hit are chips and from bunkers but I don't know why.

Guessing, I'd say it was because my hands head out towards the ball but I'm not sure.

I wish I could be more help :mad:

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Had a practice today and was hitting the ball well throughout the bag.

Had around 20 balls left so decided to practice some 1/2 and 3/4 wedge shots and I started shanking them :confused:

Hit the last six balls with a full 7 and business as usual.

Didn't want to get anymore balls and work on the problem as I've a comp tomorrow but I'm thinking its because I'm not using the lower body in the shots.

Anyone else had this arise ?

impossible to say what you doin but maybes it's not necessarily down to lack of lower body motion alone

mid-pitch shot action is more a combination of arms connected with upper rotation along with the lower body - so more a feel of arms staying in front of the body with the chest rotation going back then a more synchronized notion of arm and turn working together through impact so both the belt buckle and the chest have turned through the shot - buckle/chest with arm connected in front of the body facing target

a big issue could also be rolling the arms/wrists over as the club is moved away combined with more independent arms on the ways back to the ball without much rotation

following drill is to help stop the arms/wrists rolling over on the ways back plus connecting arms/club to a turn both back and through - feeling it's just a smooth one paced turn back, turn through

so say for a half pitch(50 yards kinda distance but the focus is more about finding solid contact) set-up ball middle feet, then just hinge the thumbs up to set wrists (as in pic 2) so nothing else moves this is a good ways important goal to achieve the position in pic 2 maintaing posture and notice the arms are not lifting just hands/thumbs hinging (setting) upwards

from pic 2 to pic 3 it's just some rotation no arm lifting or rolling over - as the clubhead is right infront of the hands, shaft pretty parallel to toe/target line - and as working to a smaller pitch action the hands/arms club going to finish just a tad further than pic 5 so hands/handle going to finish around about waist high but infront of the body, belt buckle/chest having rotated through to face target all in balance a finish that can be held

so all that's happening is the hands wrists setting up then just turn back a shade further than half way (not as far as in pics as this is more a 3/4 almost full swing shown in pics)
all that happens then is a smooth motion and rotation through the ball to around the same length as the take back notice arms move with the body so remain in front of chest/belt buckle

0LSORgo.png
[/IMG]

Visit site
Many short shot problems can come from not having the time you do in the full swing to compensate....

Most shanks come from an open clubface/path/plane error with not enough time in a short swing to square it, or a set up/balance area where the club comes through "nearer" the ball...

You would to need to work out which one....

If you had three balls in a line away from you a bit apart, set up to the middle one, swing back and see if you can hit the outside one, set up to middle one and do the same but hit one closer to you, then hit the last one normally.....

if if you can do this and contact each one ok without hitting the other balls (but still shank) your set up/balance is probably OK and its a clubface/path/plane problem and would need some work, ideally with someone who knows what they're doing 👍🏼

if if you can't do the drill, keep practicing it to teach yourself some balance/good setup distance....

Hard to say without seeing but the above is a good drill