“Lifetime” Awards

Numan

Visit site
Does any club have an award for a significant contribution to the club over many years other than honorary membership? Our honorary members are those over 50 years membership and we are considering a way of recognising those who have made significant contribution to the club over many years.

If you do how does it work and what recognition do you give?
thanks

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We do not and have not even given out Honorary memberships for quite a few years now.

Mind you since we have become more of a business other than for being a member for a long time I cannot think of this being appropriate any member I know.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
1.Ryder Cupper and Tour Career, also been funding the juniors etc.
2. Winner of The Amateur Championship, Walker Cupper and winning pretty much everything Amateur in his era. Then turned pro before bring club pro for nearly 20 years.
3. Multiple folk with extensive Welsh Amateur international appearances etc
5. The Recently retired club pro over 25 years

Several others I am not completely sure of fhe detail

The Fader

Visit site
We have honorary membership but it is used very sparingly and there is no set criteria like length of membership. I am only aware of one person to receive this,
now sadly passed away.

What we do have however is a Clubperson of the Year award. It is presented at our end of year dinner along with all the playing trophies.

I think it is a good way of recognising people who go the extra mile for the club but who's efforts might fly under the radar.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have stopped honorary membership but do have a Member of the Year award but it is rarely presented. As it happens the last was to me for creating a new lake and fountain over 10 years ago.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Only a very few honorary life memberships over 125yrs for significant achievement in the wider golfing world. The most recent being last year with the awarding of it to ‘our Lottie’ after she won the British Girls Amateur Open to crown off her junior amateur career before heading off to college in the States.

Her success in her junior playing career and resulting high profile were likely important factors in my club hosting the inaugural England Mixed under 18 championship a couple of years back…with the recognition the club received off the back of that.

We don‘t do any other form of ‘achievement’ recognition award that I am aware of, though some comps are named after renowned members who contributed much over a significant period, usually as Captain and then Chairman and/or President.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Changing my reply a little the seniors give out a trophy for 'Golfer of the Year' and this normally goes to organisers and helpers rather than those who have won a lot of comps (there is another trophy for this).

Visit site
Does any club have an award for a significant contribution to the club over many years other than honorary membership? Our honorary members are those over 50 years membership and we are considering a way of recognising those who have made significant contribution to the club over many years.

thanks

I think we give “honourary life membership” to anyone who’s age + tenure is >120.

I joined when I was 24, so when I’m 72, I’ll be set for life!

I have no clue on how many members have ever met that criteria over the years but there’s certainly a few.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Not an award as such but anyone who has given time to the club during the previous year will be invited to the Chairs Cleek for a round with the other recipients and wined and dined before and after.

I received an invitation once, but I was too busy playing golf with my mates to attend.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
We have two categories. Honorary Membership - which is occasionally conferred for outstanding achievement, or outstanding service to the club - to people who can't normally be a member (ie generally professionals). And Life Membership to members who have given outstanding service to the club. Off the top of my head, I think there's currently two of each. The constitution allows for more but they are not dished out very often.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site

thanks
Reserved car parking space.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We have honorary membership if you have been a member for 50 years continuously. I don’t think junior time counts towards this. I have another 15 years to go. However, by then I’ll probably be too old to play much.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Sounds like a waste of time then.
I suppose it depends on your perspective. I actually voted for him to be Chair. I didn't like him, but I did like his views on how the club should be run.

My invite was for doing the club's fire risk assessment. My reward was the Chairs Cleek. I didn't want a reward, and I was always going to have a better time with my mates.