£5 to take shots off your H/Cap anyone ?

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
I guess it's the whole, 'I look up to him because he is a mid h'cap player, and I look up to him because he's a low h'cap player' Apolgies to the 'class' sketch!

wrong philosophy hapless', that's the karate version; I can't beat him 'cos he's a black belt' - but you can if you stamp on his foot.

what you need to do is say ' I look down on him because I can get cut more than he can'

£5 please

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did notice Waterstones had the complete set of Rotella books, though thought http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=3700702

Sure when I saw it in our waterstones it was over thirty quid for the collection.

I remember when Thin paperbacks like that used to be 85 pence. Well actually to be honest, I can remember when books were in shillings & old pence.

I have the Hardback edition of the Darren Mental game book, whatever it was called, though could never get into it at all. Perhaps it was the writing style or the naff diagrams, but only got pages into it. Not sure if that is worth percervering with.

After that I'm really rather scheptical that simply reading a book can make a difference to a mental attitude.

I think if I saw some rotella books in Waterstones at £1-50 or £2-00 then I might read it.

Perhaps the cheapie book stall on the market may have a second hand one for 50pence.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I've read the whole Rotella range and to be honest a lot of the stuff is the same thing in different packaging. That said it doesn't make the advice bad or any less valid. I am in the process in the early part of the season of trying some of the simple visualisation techniques just to see if they make a difference.

I think they are the type of books you need to read and go back to several months later. Rather than going for the whole package I think you need to cherry pick things you think will work for you and try them and if they don't work go back through the book and pick something else.

I think the advice is based on pretty solid fundamentals and its down to individual interpreation and use to get the most out of the information supplied.

Herbie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I have to agree with Birdieman on most points with this one.I used to play easily to 6 h/c, I got there without anything more than practice and taking tips from pro's and seasoned players, a few years after that period I became an avid reader of anything golf improvement wise, and in the years that followed slowly crept up to 8 h/c, then back to 7 h/c, now Im at 9 (but MS has played its part in that and still does.(yo yo), I have read part of this publication and although I have not read it all, it seemed run of the mill stuff to me.

However, if you read it and it makes you feel you have benefitted from it, then its been worth the money. Personally, its of no more use to me than a friendly confidence boosting chat with a pal.

I think the best advice in golf is always in small doses, easy to remember and easy to apply to your game. Taking on board too much information/advice etc from books or verbal is morelikely to hamper than benefit in my view.

Too much information swilling around the head when you play doesn't improve ones game much in my view.

vig

Tour Winner
Visit site
In my 20's I played to an 8h/c. I didn't practice much but played a lot. I was naturally sporty.
When my game is on song now, I play reasonably well, shot 77 on Saturday. Played Sunday, very inconsistant.
Long game good. Short game and driving need work, which I intend to put in this year.
Played with GJbike on Sunday and he really rated the help he has had from the Rotella books. So much so that I have ordered a few. 2 arrived today. I am not a big reader (attention span is short) but I will read these and attempt to be "CRAP".
C'mon Birdieman, 98% of the members on here would be happy to be a crap 5 H/C :)

Macster

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I did say.....
"make notes on pertinent points, which jump out at you most definitely, and make sure you keep a copy at hand at home to refer to frequently, and a copy in your Golf Bag to review before each round."

...and I mean keep a copy of the pertinent points, not the whole book !!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm going with all the cynics here. Power to the cynics!!:)

I work in an environment where folk talk a great deal of psycho babble, use sound-bites, clever words and all the rest. To me, they sound like huge arses!!
I happen to admire B.R. and his methodology, but let's face it some folk need this stuff and others don't.

Each to their own. If positive "remapping" of your brain (thoughts and approaches) and reactions works for you, then good. To me, much of this stuff is just obvious common sense learned from experience, and offered to people looking for an edge (like pros) or those that have trouble making up their own mind.

Not for me.

Cernunnos

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Oh I'm a cynic, but I'm an open minded cynic. In other words even though I'm doubtful about a book making a difference. I'd be interested enough to read the book in question. I'll give anything a go once.

Especially as I do try to get into a shallow medetive state at times when playing. I do believe mental state is important when playing.