£270 for the Old Course?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
One green fee = annual membership for a local. Incredible
To be fair it will probably go up a tenner or so in the spring - does make me wonder why I’ve kicked around the country for last three decades instead of staying put in North East Fife - by the way if you don’t need the Old Course or the Castle then the rest cost a resident £125 a year

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Only cost us £7 to play TOC back in 1980.
Gleneagles cost us £14 to play the old Glendevon and the Kings courses.
Sausage or bacon rolls cost £5.
It was around the same time that me and a mate played Gleneagles Kings and Queens for IIRC £13 - it would have been a Saturday into the bargain. Despite being skint students that was very affordable. Played TOC between Christmas and New Year many moons ago with a member of the R&A and didn't pay a penny for the pleasure.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Several thoughts - they are no do doubt trying to recoup lost earning for the last two years so can understand that. It is also now in line with other Open venues and given its iconic status I think they have simply applied a "levy" for the the St Andrews name.

Having said that, if it is on the bucket list then it is worth the effort of saving for it and playing. It isn't the best Open course (that has to be Carnoustie but thats a whole different argument) but I still think it'll attract a large overseas contingent so they'll get the money

And your opinion. I've played ToC, Troon, Muirfield and Carnoustie.

Carnoustie is the "worst" and least memorable of those in my opinion. ?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Was last there 5 years ago in the August. Can’t remember how much but it wasn’t that expensive. £15 a hole…wow!

I guess I’d still play it, but imagine paying that and getting rained on all the way round.

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It’s unsurprising given the loss of visitor income recently but I don’t think the Old is still that badly priced in relative terms to Kingsbarns and Carnoustie.

The real scandal here is the prices of the New and the Jubilee now.
So will it drop again once they have recouped the money from the loss of visitors?

HowlingGale

Head Pro
Visit site
To be fair it will probably go up a tenner or so in the spring - does make me wonder why I’ve kicked around the country for last three decades instead of staying put in North East Fife - by the way if you don’t need the Old Course or the Castle then the rest cost a resident £125 a year
Imagine being able to play the New course (and Jubilee) just about any time you wanted for £125 a year. ?.

AliMc

Visit site
And your opinion. I've played ToC, Troon, Muirfield and Carnoustie.

Carnoustie is the "worst" and least memorable of those in my opinion. ?
Close Ken
1) Muirfield
2) Turnberry
3) Royal Troon
4) Carnoustie
5) Old Course

Just my opinion of course !

and:
136) North Berwick

Just a bit of fun ?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
For me, Open venues I've played

1. Old Course (overall experience)
2. Royal Troon
3. Muirfield
4. Carnoustie

and for fun
100. Gullane 1
200. NB West ?

AliMc

Visit site
For me, Open venues I've played

1. Old Course (overall experience)
2. Royal Troon
3. Muirfield
4. Carnoustie

and for fun
100. Gullane 1
200. NB West ?
It's a good shout, the whole experience of going to bed at night knowing your travelling to St Andrews for a game, for us the drive up from home, arriving in the town and teeing it up is absolutely like no other, but as a golf course it's not as good as the others for me. We are lucky though to get to play it at a rate much lower than has been quoted, by whatever means

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's a good shout, the whole experience of going to bed at night knowing your travelling to St Andrews for a game, for us the drive up from home, arriving in the town and teeing it up is absolutely like no other, but as a golf course it's not as good as the others for me. We are lucky though to get to play it at a rate much lower than has been quoted, by whatever means

I paid full rate, £175 in 2015.

AliMc

Visit site
I paid full rate, £175 in 2015.
When I was the Payroll Manager in Edinburgh in the PO I done a couple of favours for the Delivery Office Manager in St Andrews, he later became captain of one of the clubs that play out of St Andrews and invited me for a couple of games, happy times, doubt I will ever play it again, I've probably played Muirfield about 30 times which is probably why I rate it so highly