£270 for the Old Course?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
So if demand is low, why go for a massive price increase? Just drives visitors away.

Doesn’t make any economic sense.

It was on my bucket list,
I don't know about St Andrews but I know that at Carnoustie the Championship is still full - it's just full of local season ticket holders rather than a mix of them and visitors.

The courses at Monifieth where I have a season ticket are the same (mobbed but few visitors) and we've lost a massive amount of revenue (although pennies compared to the Open venues) - the business model of the trusts depends on visitor fees subsidising local season ticket holders and paying for the upkeep of the courses.

Saturday's ballot results for the Old Course has seven visitors over two tee times - course is full but with locals.

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Members' Clubs like our are packed out with members playing so no room for visitors, especially at this time of year with shorter days. We manage demand down by increasing green fees.

Somewhere like the Old Course have lots of tourists. If international visitors are not coming due to covid, can't see how hiking up prices will help. Unless they are expecting "some " if fewer.

But this saddens me. The OC is a national monument and ordinary golfers should not be priced out.

Conversely Kingsbarns is a commercial operation, they can charge what they think they can get away with. That is their perogative.

Zig

Visit site
Because they are expecting the US Visitors to come back this year

I think it's a bit more nuanced Clearly StA has lost a lot of revenue due to the pandemic, and esp the lack of foreign visitors. But I think that's cos they pay the highest prices; the course is still rammed, and it's really difficult to get in the ballot.... it took me and a pal 5 attempts before getting in a couple of weeks ago.

The only way you can get on this year is through the ballot too - they[ve said all their prebook tee times for 2022 have been taken up by those who couldn't come last year or the year before and carried over their bookings, and by the reduced availability due to the Open.

So, I think all the price rise will do will make it more expensive for ballot winners this year, and those who'll then make advance bookings going forward. And the price increase over the next couple of years will offset the money they lost last year.

In no way am I a fan if the increases, or justifying them. I posted earlier that the prices are crackers IMHO But one thing to note... it was cheaper for us to play TOC a couple of weeks ago than almost any of the other top courses in England or Scotland. Maybe the marketing guys at StA thought they shouldn't be the cheapest guys on the block anymore?

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Only cost us £7 to play TOC back in 1980.
Gleneagles cost us £14 to play the old Glendevon and the Kings courses.
Sausage or bacon rolls cost £5.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know about St Andrews but I know that at Carnoustie the Championship is still full - it's just full of local season ticket holders rather than a mix of them and visitors.

Same here on the whole. It’s been a nice period for local members for easier tee times. So it’s been extra galling that I’ve not been able to capitalise on the opportunity myself through my own circumstances of the last year.

To Fragger’s question, personally I don’t think reducing fees is the way to go given the likely situation of the next few years. Quite simply they need the big spenders in town, not the little ones.

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Lucky enough to be playing the New and Old in April, think its about £200, it has been booked pre-covid and they let us rebook each time due to the circumstances.
We will spend a bit of cash on breakfast and drams no doubt before we head out....
I'm thinking that loads of people will still pay that sort of money, it certainly wouldn't put me off if it was a course i really wanted to play.

Jimaroid

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
they[ve said all their prebook tee times for 2022 have been taken up by those who couldn't come last year or the year before and carried over their bookings, and by the reduced availability due to the Open.

This is a really good point that I’d forgotten was happening.

Reactions: Zig

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I was lucky to be at gleneagles in September. I asked if they had been quiet due to lack of overseas visitors? 'On the contrary, never been busier'. Endless 4 balls was all I could see. The brits who would have gone abroad were staying home and spending their money there. Not what I expected but it made sense.

Perhaps ToC is not as lacking in visitors as people perceive and they have increased prices because they can?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
I was lucky to be at gleneagles in September. I asked if they had been quiet due to lack of overseas visitors? 'On the contrary, never been busier'. Endless 4 balls was all I could see. The brits who would have gone abroad were staying home and spending their money there. Not what I expected but it made sense.

Perhaps ToC is not as lacking in visitors as people perceive and they have increased prices because they can?
Got to do something to keep the locals season ticket price reasonable - anyone outside St Andrews getting seven golf courses for a year for £240?

sunshine

Visit site
In no way am I a fan if the increases, or justifying them. I posted earlier that the prices are crackers IMHO But one thing to note... it was cheaper for us to play TOC a couple of weeks ago than almost any of the other top courses in England or Scotland. Maybe the marketing guys at StA thought they shouldn't be the cheapest guys on the block anymore?

Probably true, but a shame because I thought TOC is run as a charitable trust so has a different view on visitors compared with a privately owned members club, which is what most top courses are.

Also I’d fully expect it to be cheaper than other courses if you’re playing off mats.