£270 for the Old Course?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
When I was the Payroll Manager in Edinburgh in the PO I done a couple of favours for the Delivery Office Manager in St Andrews, he later became captain of one of the clubs that play out of St Andrews and invited me for a couple of games, happy times, doubt I will ever play it again, I've probably played Muirfield about 30 times which is probably why I rate it so highly

Did you get on Muirfield via PO?
My one time there cost £80 via a group that plays every year. Great value in July.
Have a friend who is a member at Royal Troon. £10 for a guest day ticket. Been several times but not for a few years.
Carnoustie, signed on twice for about £25.

AliMc

Visit site
Did you get on Muirfield via PO?
My one time there cost £80 via a group that plays every year. Great value in July.
Have a friend who is a member at Royal Troon. £10 for a guest day ticket. Been several times but not for a few years.
Carnoustie, signed on twice for about £25.
Yeah the Postal Golf Club in Edinburgh was one of the oldest works club in Scotland, I held most of the official positions in my 27 years in the PO, we had a long standing outing at Muirfield every year, 2nd week in July, changed to another date when The Open was there, played a few times with the stands up, used to tee off after 4 o'clock and paid around £20 to £30, I also played it a couple of times in the County Cup

IanMcC

Visit site
Are you on the wind up? Course is fantastic.
No. I'm perfectly serious. The course looks quite dull to me. I caddied at Western Gailes and Old Troon as a lad, and would much rather play both of those, regardless of cost. Don't be taken in by nostalgia, I would add.

gopher99

Visit site
I am lucky enough to have played the bucket list courses in Scotland years ago when it was cheaper, this year there will be hopefully a lot more travel and with that comes the Americans Japanese etc who will all pay top money to play these courses. It’s all down to whether you personally think it’s good value for money for the experience.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
It really isn’t, they have to recover lost income due to a lack of visitors over the last two years. As a charitable trust they had already communicated to ticket members some very strong indicators of “cost containment” being required until at least 2023.

It’s never been easier to get a tee time on the links, the availability and lack of visitors this year has been notable amongst local members. We are nowhere near what used to be normal. One simple indicator is the very low number of caddies we see out working.

Demand is low. Not supply.

Utter crap. If demand is low then, as a business, you would lower you prices to draw in customers. Increasing prices would be a sure way of making sure you went out if business. The hike in prices is because they are greedy gets. They are preparing for the Megha rich to come over and hand over the dish without complaining now travel will be opened up. The golfing community should turn their back on the open this year to show that we are not prepared to be treated like this anymore. As for discounts, any resident of the UK should get the discount. Not just Scotland residents. We are the UK, at the moment, after all, aren't we?

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
No. I'm perfectly serious. The course looks quite dull to me. I caddied at Western Gailes and Old Troon as a lad, and would much rather play both of those, regardless of cost. Don't be taken in by nostalgia, I would add.

But, I formed my opinion after actually playing it. Nostalgia might be part of the overall package.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
I wouldn't play it again for £70.00...
I would (if I was still nearby)! But certainly not for £270!. I've played it half dozen times, so 'magic apart' I'd sooner play other, better value, courses. Playing it 'the right way round' would be interesting though!

...The course looks quite dull to me... Don't be taken in by nostalgia....
Links courses generally/often look rather dull. I's only when you 'get to know them', as you probably would have on WG and OT, that their subtleties emerge. Nostalgia is certainly 1 reason folk make pilgrimage to St Andrews!

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Utter crap. If demand is low then, as a business, you would lower you prices to draw in customers.

Is the correct answer.
As an example, when East Sussex National first opened it's doors it used to cost you a fortune to book a round up. After the initial clamor to play it had died down, the place was empty. Didn't take them too long to work out that an empty 1st tee wasn't generating any income.
So they dropped the price. A first tee with four players on it all paying £40.00 generates £160.00. An empty tee with nobody paying a fortune generates bugger all. Multiply bugger all by 40 tee slots a day, and you're heading West.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Some clubs get more foreign visitors when they increase their green fee. American visitors who head to Scotland won't play "cheap" courses.
Believe it is £346 for Kingsbarns and £395 for Turnberry in 2022, makes the OC look a bargain!

Last edited:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Is the correct answer.
As an example, when East Sussex National first opened it's doors it used to cost you a fortune to book a round

Multiply bugger all by 40 tee slots a day, and you're heading West.

Would that make it West Sussex National?

I can't see how any golfer could think the Old Course looks dull. But we've done that to death on these pages.

I'm sure the assertion that Americans choose their courses based on how high the price is has some truth on it!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Some clubs get more foreign visitors when they increase their green fee. American visitors who head to Scotland won't play "cheap" courses.
Believe it is £346 for Kingsbarns and £395 for Turnberry in 2022, makes the OC look a bargain!
Its a sad time when £270 to play 18 holes is considered a bargain.....

gopher99

Visit site
I am going to South Africa at the end of Feb, we are playing Glendower, Royal J&K East course and Durban Country Club all held national opens and various other tournaments the cost of each course is around £20. That to me is great value, £270 is a lot of money to play one round.

D

Deleted member 25172

That’s a shame. Have yet to play the OC, but unless I somehow miraculously get a pay rise to be on a six figure salary I’m not gonna entertain the thought of paying £270 for a round of golf.

I’ll try to keep ticking off top courses through open comps where possible and resign to the fact there’s a lot of great courses that I will never play.