Zoned and Drawn Tee Times

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
We have two comps with holiday vouchers up for grabs at the Belek.

They are drawn and zoned.
I don’t mind drawn comps as I’m used to playing with random people when I book opens here and there anyway.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
As some have said on here it is a hobby for 99% of people and they should be free to choose who they spend their leisure time with, forcing them to play with people they may not want to is wrong.

Would you consider that perhaps competition golf is slightly different to casual golf and that it is not unreasonable when you enter a golf competition that there is perhaps a little less freedom in choice of who you play with?

FWIW....No one wants to not enjoy their golf and when we did our draws the person doing the draw would always look at it to see if there were any obvious "player mismatches" that needed "addressing". Other obvious things that needed addressing were where couples would turn up in the same car....they would need to have tee times reasonably close to each other....no help to them if they are teeing off an hour apart!! Its all part of knowing your membership.

Incidentally....the current non-drawn competition times are obviously very popular and allowing players to pretty much play when they want has resulted in a 30% increase in competition field sizes.

D

Deleted member 16999

Would you consider that perhaps competition golf is slightly different to casual golf and that it is not unreasonable when you enter a golf competition that there is perhaps a little less freedom in choice of who you play with?

FWIW....No one wants to not enjoy their golf and when we did our draws the person doing the draw would always look at it to see if there were any obvious "player mismatches" that needed "addressing". Other obvious things that needed addressing were where couples would turn up in the same car....they would need to have tee times reasonably close to each other....no help to them if they are teeing off an hour apart!! Its all part of knowing your membership.

Incidentally....the current non-drawn competition times are obviously very popular and allowing players to pretty much play when they want has resulted in a 30% increase in competition field sizes.
So it depends on the Club, unfortunately or fortunately (depending on your pov) our Club has a competition every saturday and sunday the course is open, so unless members play after 3 in the summer and forget the winter, members have little choice.

So for us competition golf is the norm and the majority of members went to school together, grew up together, holiday as families etc, they have no issue playing with mates/families all the time.

As I said previously, didn’t methods suit different people and a cheat will cheat regardless of how it’s done.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
So it depends on the Club, unfortunately or fortunately (depending on your pov) our Club has a competition every saturday and sunday the course is open, so unless members play after 3 in the summer and forget the winter, members have little choice.

So for us competition golf is the norm and the majority of members went to school together, grew up together, holiday as families etc, they have no issue playing with mates/families all the time.

OK....that sounds a little restrictive to block out the entire weekend with comps effectively preventing much "social" play. A lot of folks are not necessarily competition minded but I guess its just a case of shifting mindset and treating it as a normal day out with your friends/relatives on the golf course and oh, by the way, theres a club competition "on the side".

I can see under those circumstances where the chance for weekend purely social golf is restricted why a person might not favour a randomly drawn comp as they would virtually never get to play with friends/family as they desire.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
A few weeks ago I made up a three ball in a medal strokeplay comp - the two guys I joined up with were mates who play together all the time. From the word go one of them would often just knock his ball away and not hole out if he was within tap in distance - so less than 1ft. His mate was OK with this, but I kept having to say that I was putting down NR for him each time he did it. They thought I was being too picky and a bit of a pain. Maybe I was being a pain but them’s the rules. Too many NRs on a card and it doesn’t count...hmm...but that wasn’t his intention...he expected his score to be recorded (inc. the knocked away putt - he wasn’t looking for that to be forgotten).

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Anyway - back to my OP... look forward to seeing who I am drawn with - though as I will likely know most folk who usually play in the zone I’m in it’s unlikely to be someone I don’t know. Anyway. For new members it would seem a good arrangement. But this is very rare if not a first for my club - normal ‘book chosen tee time or play with mates’ will remain the norm.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Club Championship and a couple of big board comps are drawn..everything else is on a "book your own time" basis.
You can play with the same people or you can mix in with others - the choice is there.
I've never been a huge fan of drawn comps.
I play to enjoy and if I happen to get stuck with the Club Arse I'm not going to enjoy it much.
And if people look suspiciously at me for playing in the same group every time they'd better have some evidence of malpractice or they might need to remove a ProV1 from a certain part of their anatomy.....

D

Deleted member 3432

A few weeks ago I made up a three ball in a medal strokeplay comp - the two guys I joined up with were mates who play together all the time. From the word go one of them would often just knock his ball away and not hole out if he was within tap in distance - so less than 1ft. His mate was OK with this, but I kept having to say that I was putting down NR for him each time he did it. They thought I was being too picky and a bit of a pain. Maybe I was being a pain but them’s the rules. Too many NRs on a card and it doesn’t count...hmm...but that wasn’t his intention...he expected his score to be recorded (inc. the knocked away putt - he wasn’t looking for that to be forgotten).

Thats a good enough reason for drawn comps.

How many more groups play together every week and either don't know are don't bother playing under the rules of golf?

My previous club had drawn comps which I preferred but I often just stick my name down with some random punters if my regular weekend partner is working.

My view is playing with drawn groups helps educate players who may be a little 'vague' on the rules.

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
All of the clubs I have been members of have done the zoned and drawn tee times for comps. Not as big a zones as the Op usually just half hour slots from 8am till about 11am then a break and more slots from 1pm till 3pm.

I like it like this as it gives you the chance to play with different people each week instead of getting stuck with the same folk.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Just entered a club comp for which, for the first time I am aware of, tee times have been split into four zones, three of two hours and the last of one hour. The number of slots still available in each zone was shown and I chose which zone I wanted a tee time in. I could not choose a specific tee time nor could I choose who I play with - tee time and players will be drawn.

Is this common? Just never come across this way of doing it, and will ask why we are doing it this way. Maybe it’s to give all a chance of getting a tee time in the popular tee time periods as the usual suspects seem able to always grab these. I don’t think it will have anything to do with suspicions club may have around h/cap manipulations or incorrect score recording practice that may be going on - but either is possible I suppose.

All our singles comps are run like this. Generally it works well, as the odds are that you will always be drawn with at least one person you know/like, but there have been times when I have seen the draw and genuinely not looked forward to playing.

I understand the desire to make a club more sociable by integrating newer members, but I do think there is also a place for entering a singles comp with a group of mates.

Rather than simply doing one or the other, clubs should offer a mix of the two approaches.

Last edited:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
You only took up the game in 2020 and yet you find “clubs where you play with friends massively open to manipulation.”

I doubt you’ve come across many of these yourself, maybe you’d be better off taking your time rather than being in a rush to judge.

SO what. It just is. Ive seen posts on here with people moaning about 4 balls that always seem to have a 2 in their group, Ive got friends who play at other local clubs with the system in place who have told me stories - you know absolutely f all about me and are judging my post because I've golfed a year. Grow up.

D

Deleted member 16999

SO what. It just is. Ive seen posts on here with people moaning about 4 balls that always seem to have a 2 in their group, Ive got friends who play at other local clubs with the system in place who have told me stories - you know absolutely f all about me and are judging my post because I've golfed a year. Grow up.
As proved by your response above you are forming an opinion based on what you read or hear and then exaggerate!

Try sticking to your own experiences and stay open minded, you’ll have much more credibility.??

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Go and pick your teddy bear up!

As proved by your response above you are forming an opinion based on what you read or hear and then exaggerate!

Try sticking to your own experiences and stay open minded, you’ll have much more credibility.??

My own experience is that when playing with strangers - its impossible to cheat. They count your every shot because you are in direct competition with them.

My best friend who plays at a local "prestigous" club plays with his mates in comps, hes seen it and described it first hand to me what people get up to in their little groups of mates.. so dont start acting like you're the higher authority here because you have played golf longer than me.

You sit on this forum and just bark out like an angry man constantly, what went wrong in your life to become the horribly sour person you've become?

Also - what a childish comment that is - pathetic - and really shows the maturity level you operate at, petty insults :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
My own experience is that when playing with strangers - its impossible to cheat. They count your every shot because you are in direct competition with them.

My best friend who plays at a local "prestigous" club plays with his mates in comps, hes seen it and described it first hand to me what people get up to in their little groups of mates.. so dont start acting like you're the higher authority here because you have played golf longer than me.

You sit on this forum and just bark out like an angry man constantly, what went wrong in your life to become the horribly sour person you've become?

Also - what a childish comment that is - pathetic - and really shows the maturity level you operate at, petty insults :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OOOO Hes removed it - dont worry, saved it in my quote for all to see how low you can drop

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I am playing with a guy in he near future who is off a similar handicap to me, but in truth should be 5 or 6 higher, he always plays in the same groups and I've seen them taking gimmes or dodgy drops a few times.

Regular cheaters arent a problem, because they cheat themselves into having a better handicap.

For me, social golf is social, comps should be drawn.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I’m absolutely astonished to read that people know of golfers being given putts in comps. Fortunately I’ve never heard of it at ours, but if I ever witnessed it I’d be having a word with the competition secretary. We’ve all missed tap ins.

D

Deleted member 16999

OOOO Hes removed it - dont worry, saved it in my quote for all to see how low you can drop
I removed it as with hindsight I realised I shouldn’t stoop to your level.

Have a read of the thread and see how the majority have said different people prefer different ways of doing a comp and some gave examples.

You posted that you find, based on stories, and I quote,“clubs where you play with friends massively open to manipulation.” Now you tell us it’s ONLY one mate at a “prestigious” Club (Not sure why we need to know it’s “prestigious” apart from you maybe impressed) and it’s not “clubs”

And once again you go for the insults.

Obviously I’ve touched a nerve so I’ll bow out.

D

Deleted member 16999

I’m absolutely astonished to read that people know of golfers being given putts in comps. Fortunately I’ve never heard of it at ours, but if I ever witnessed it I’d be having a word with the competition secretary. We’ve all missed tap ins.
Or have witnessed it, done nothing at the time and then whined on a forum about it.

TreeSeeker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Sometimes reporting it results in nothing anyway. One of the guys i reported did get a comp ban because it wasn't his first time being caught.

Also paul, i expect you arent bothered but the way you're going on it looks like you are the one who's a bit sensitive on the whole cheating when you play with mates issue.