Zoned and Drawn Tee Times

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just entered a club comp for which, for the first time I am aware of, tee times have been split into four zones, three of two hours and the last of one hour. The number of slots still available in each zone was shown and I chose which zone I wanted a tee time in. I could not choose a specific tee time nor could I choose who I play with - tee time and players will be drawn.

Is this common? Just never come across this way of doing it, and will ask why we are doing it this way. Maybe it’s to give all a chance of getting a tee time in the popular tee time periods as the usual suspects seem able to always grab these. I don’t think it will have anything to do with suspicions club may have around h/cap manipulations or incorrect score recording practice that may be going on - but either is possible I suppose.

peld

Visit site
That is how we do medals (and thought this was fairly common?)
It helps pace of play as you are usually placed in hcap order, with the lowest go out earlier in the zone and you'll play with similar standard players. There might be a tee time gap between.
Also helps remove any suspicion of mates "playing together and malpractice", plus also helps you meet new people at the club (if you are new or in a big club)

sunshine

Visit site
Just entered a club comp for which, for the first time I am aware of, tee times have been split into four zones, three of two hours and the last of one hour. The number of slots still available in each zone was shown and I chose which zone I wanted a tee time in. I could not choose a specific tee time nor could I choose who I play with - tee time and players will be drawn.

Is this common? Just never come across this way of doing it, and will ask why we are doing it this way. Maybe it’s to give all a chance of getting a tee time in the popular tee time periods as the usual suspects seem able to always grab these. I don’t think it will have anything to do with suspicions club may have around h/cap manipulations or incorrect score recording practice that may be going on - but either is possible I suppose.

We have a few comps like this at my place. Better than a drawn comp as you get to set a preferred time zone and can plan the rest of your day. Encourages people to mix with others instead of their clique. Work well I think.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It helps pace of play as you are usually placed in hcap order, with the lowest go out earlier in the zone and you'll play with similar standard players. There might be a tee time gap between.
Also helps remove any suspicion of mates "playing together and malpractice", plus also helps you meet new people at the club (if you are new or in a big club)

What's wrong with Mates playing together? Our club you pick your tee time normally and we always play the same 4 of us , very social but always more fun in the comp
Surely with the introduction of whs with the ability to sign anyone's card anytime (even for nomads soon) then playing with mates doesn't matter?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I don't know why some clubs are so hung up on people playing with players that haven't before. If I'm playing once a week I want to play with friends or family, not somebody I've never met.

I mean I get the side that it's good to meet people at the club

Before I knew anyone I got put in touch with someone in same boat as me

Then I got 2 of My colleagues to join

Now there 4 of us with a WhatsApp and we just play together when suits around our work

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I always thought that all comps should be a random draw. Part of golf is the mental aspect and seeing how your game holds up under pressure. A guy playing with his mates of 30 years is under less pressure than a new member to a club who hasn’t made any friends yet. Mix up the field and get people out of their comfort zone IMO.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We used to do a draw in half hour slots but stopped when BRS was introduced which was fine when you could only book for yourself in medals. I'm not a fan of 1 person being able to book 3 slots, ie a whole tee time in medals.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I always thought that all comps should be a random draw. Part of golf is the mental aspect and seeing how your game holds up under pressure. A guy playing with his mates of 30 years is under less pressure than a new member to a club who hasn’t made any friends yet. Mix up the field and get people out of their comfort zone IMO.

I like the zonal idea at the start of this. As drawn times sounds a bit rubbish for those on a time constraint

We tee off every week between 10:1030 to suit one guys split shifts he does

Long as it's after 9:30 and I'm home by 4 suits me

The other 2 pretty much play whenever they want

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What's wrong with Mates playing together? Our club you pick your tee time normally and we always play the same 4 of us , very social but always more fun in the comp
Surely with the introduction of whs with the ability to sign anyone's card anytime (even for nomads soon) then playing with mates doesn't matter?

Nothing wrong with mates playing together but it does hinder a new member trying to find games and meet other members

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nothing wrong with mates playing together but it does hinder a new member trying to find games and meet other members

We have a policy where anyone can add themselves to a booking that isn't full

So if it's 3 of us we have had a few times a 4th person , no issues with us crack on we don't mind

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
We have a policy where anyone can add themselves to a booking that isn't full

So if it's 3 of us we have had a few times a 4th person , no issues with us crack on we don't mind

Good to hear, I think most clubs do the same to be fair but not everyone is keen to jump in whereas in comps its play or miss out.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good to hear, I think most clubs do the same to be fair but not everyone is keen to jump in whereas in comps its play or miss out.

We are only mid week members so not much of a miss out, two comps a month (one today is 9 hole ) we get about 30 or so people enter

So across the day even if just 3 balls you only need 10 tee times so it's not too bad

Reactions: Val

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Pre-covid we did something similar...all of our comps would run in a block from 7.30am until the last player went out. When signing up, players could specify if they wanted an Early, Middle or Late tee time. Obviously what constituted a Middle or Late tee time would very much depend upon the number of entries....sometimes late would be around lunchtime, sometimes it could be around 10.30am.

The actual three balls would then be drawn within the general constraints of when players indicated they wanted to go out.

The random draw nature, even with the constraints of loosely defined time blocks, worked well and was a great way of helping new players integrate into a club. The vast majority of regular competition entrants at our club all know each other so its very rare that you end up playing with total strangers, even with a random draw.

Since Covid we've moved away from the blocked tee times, comp entries are spread throughout the day, folks book their tee times when they want and organise their groups accordingly. You end up playing with the same people week in week out and frankly, after a few weeks it becomes a bit monotonous.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
No indication that the draw for three ball groups within a zone will be anything other than completely random, so no H/cap ordering. As this is the first time the club has taken this approach it might simply be a trial as all medals and other comps are ‘free booking’ and so mates can play in their usual groups aiming to book tee times at around the times they normally play.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I like the zonal idea at the start of this. As drawn times sounds a bit rubbish for those on a time constraint

We tee off every week between 10:1030 to suit one guys split shifts he does

Long as it's after 9:30 and I'm home by 4 suits me

The other 2 pretty much play whenever they want
The zones are two hours blocks for first three Zones. I’ve put my name down for the 9:30 to 11:30 zone. I’d rather be earlier in that block but I (and my Mrs) can cope with 11:30. I could have put my name down for the 7:30-9:30 zone but chose later.

On reflection this may be a trial of an alternative way of integrating new members into the club, as the existing way - pointing new members to the roll-ups - may be less successful if we retain tee booking for all golf once the requirement for it goes post-pandemic, and numbers joining a roll-up becomes limited in some way.

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Playing with your mates there's a higher chance of those minor rules infringements being made.

I'm sure everyone here is cleaner than clean but if you play together regularly it's more likely that you'll be adopt some of your "friendly game" practices, particularly advice:

"What club did you hit there?"
"Is this wind into? A couple of clubs maybe?"
"Looks like a left to right breaker to me"
"I'd lay up there"

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
My old and current club only do draw times for the board comps and morning slots of the monthly medal. Every other comp is booked on V1 as normal.

Personally I don't mind the odd drawn comp. But these days given the limited free time I have. I'd rather play golf with someone I chose to play with. The last thing I want is being stuck with a Liverpool or ManU fan for 4 hours. ?