You've got to love this.....NOT

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
OK, so one of my car keys is dead. The other is dying. (BMW 320d)
Made a personal visit to the independent service centre and enquired about cost. "£150 or thereabouts"...."oh, and we'll need your driving license"....

??? :D

I don't know where my license is so told them it might prove tricky to find. Then got a LECTURE about not having my license to hand.

"Did you know you can be fined up to £2,000 for not having a license?".....

I saw red and in under 10 seconds......from mild-mannered Dave to bloodthirsty pead off caveman.....

So if my other key dies, I can't drive the car.
I have a passport and the ownership document plus insurance etc.etc. but that's not enough to get a key....
So what if I can't find my license, are the Police going to fine me 2 £grand for misplacing it between the filing cabinet and documents box in my attic?

I say "bring it on".....it's clearly not enough to drive for 19 years and 11 months without a point or forgotten tax disk....it's clearly not enough to pay over £10,000 over the years for insurance. If I get pulled tomorrow and get a 7-day wonder, I can expect to be fleeced of £2 grand??? No. I don't think so. Slap on the wrist more like.....

I've ordered a new one (license)....then I'll see if there is a cheaper way to fix the key problem. £150 for a £10 piece of kit and 20 minutes linked up to a computer....gits.

What is wrong with these people.....why don't they just make it £500 and laugh at customers who have some misfortune.

We'll see which way the main dealer goes once I have my license. All I can say is if I don't get a fair result, the £35,000 335d my Mum wants is going to mysteriously turn into an Audi overnight....

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure if this helps at all, but you can get 'valet' keys from BMW for much much less (£20 off the top of my head) if your wanting one just incase. This seems a really really common issue with these new style key fobs.

Best place for more advice is a forum attached to piston heads, alot of people with alot of motoring knowledge on their

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a weird spare key in the user's package....would this work in desperate measures?

madandra

Money List Winner
Visit site
Her in doors has a beetle and the thing wouldnt open one day and after forking out £300 for a numpty to tell me to take it to VW they could only retune ONE key but ere kind enough to tell me that for £140 PLUS £40 tuning fee they could have a new one the next day ...

4 months later we still have the one key.

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
These keys have a rechargeable battery in them and are charged through the ignition barrel. If you have a spare key, you should use it every now and then or the battery will run down.
You will also note that there is a hole in the door handle, and if you put the key in it and twist, the doors will lock/unlock even if the battery is flat.
Incidentally, a bi-xenon bulb for my 330 cost £140 from BMW!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
These keys have a rechargeable battery in them and are charged through the ignition barrel. If you have a spare key, you should use it every now and then or the battery will run down.
You will also note that there is a hole in the door handle, and if you put the key in it and twist, the doors will lock/unlock even if the battery is flat.
Incidentally, a bi-xenon bulb for my 330 cost £140 from BMW!

I ran the dead key for hours in the ignition....no joy.
I have been unlocking quite often using the key hole and then starting to stop the alarm.

As for the bulb thing.....I'm confused. I use basic "Ring" brand xenon = under £5

12v 55w +90% xenon bulbs for mine should be about £20-25 a pair.

I hoping you are talking something way more posh then these? ....otherwise....

Spoff

Tour Rookie
Visit site
OK, currently got a Picasso, looking to change next year and push the boat out, thinking 3 series or an A4.

Can afford the monthly re-payments, can afford the insurance, perhaps can't afford to replace the keys and the lights though!!!

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep, I have just the one key for my Merc. Same deal, new key is £150. No way am I spending that.

Isn't it weird (not) how a key seems to have a base-line cost?

I have an existing key, the complicated metal section is perfectly usable. That means all I need is the plastic section presumably with a chip in....what's that going to cost to buy?....certainly not more than £10 bought wholesale in job lots.